Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Provider Title
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Provider Title

jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
edited February 2016 in Announcements

Hey everyone!

There seems to be some confusion around the Provider title here and I think it needs to be clarified what this title is and what it represents.

The Provider title indicates that you have contacted me or a moderator and told us the company that you represent, and we have given you the title so that you may be able to post in the offer forum.

The Provider title is NOT an indicator of:

• Quality
  • Proper vetting
  • Authority
  • Social status
  • Professional status

If your account meets the requirements to post offers and you wish to post offers, you need the provider title. If your account does not meet the requirements and/or you have no intention of posting offers from that account, you do NOT need the provider title.

I have granted the provider title to a few accounts that do not qualify to post offers, accounts that have no intention of posting offers, in the name of status. This was my mistake. These will not be revoked. No further requests of this kind will be honored. The provider title exists purely to allow you to post in the Offer forum.

This may change in the future, but we are not prepared to handle the workload of treating the title as a status symbol at this time.

Thanks for listening :)

Comments

• jarland said: Thanks for listening :)

What did you say? I can't hear you sonny!

• treating the title as a status symbol at this time

You can always do a WHT and charge $300/month

Thanked by 2jar mpkossen
  • Jonchun said: You can always do a WHT and charge $300/month

Don't tell the guys at CC. They might think about it...

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @Amitz said:
    Don't tell the guys at CC. They might think about it...

$7/month :) Would definitely clear out the hit & run spammers.

• Suggestion: I'm not sure if Vanilla offers subforums... but if it does, maybe a format similar to http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/servers/minecraft-server-hosting

could be beneficial? There's a sub-forum where pretty much anyone is allowed to post (what we have currently), and the main forum only includes providers that have been vetted a little more thoroughly.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2016

Jonchun said: There's a sub-forum where pretty much anyone is allowed to post (what we have currently), and the main forum only includes providers that have been vetted a little more thoroughly.

I don't think jarland wants to do any vetting. From what I understand that was part of the point of this post, saying that provider just means you can post offers, not that you have been vetted or anything else. I don't see what problem would be addressed by having a separate forum for non-vetted providers.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@perennate said:
    I don't think jarland wants to do any vetting. From what I understand that was part of the point of this post, saying that provider just means you can post offers, not that you have been vetted or anything else. I don't see what problem would be addressed by having a separate forum for non-vetted providers.

Yeah... for now. Though, I've got a one thought floating around in my head that may lead to some changes in the near future:

Spammers don't care what subforum they post in so why bother if we're not vetting? Honest question I can't shake.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • If people are granted a Provider title, should they not be made to show their company name / website in their sig or profile? Example reason: TinyTunnel_Tom was a Provider but did all his shady dealings via pm and people had no ready way of knowing who they were really dealing with. Not that I was one of those people...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Weblogics said:
    If people are granted a Provider title, should they not be made to show their company name / website in their sig or profile? Example reason: TinyTunnel_Tom was a Provider but did all his shady dealings via pm and people had no ready way of knowing who they were really dealing with. Not that I was one of those people...

That would reinforce that the provider title is actually a status symbol. It's really just a permission group.

• @jarland said:
    That would reinforce that the provider title is actually a status symbol. It's really just a permission group.

I don't consider the the title and the theoretical required sig as a status symbol. Instead the way I look at as bit of a safety net that if they have their company or website name in the sig, at least that allows a potential purchaser to do some research first instead.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Most people in LET do drama,even they are provider....to avoid misleading, having no sig about their company/business can save them and their business,especially from bad marketing due to their action/drama...my2c

• @jarland said:

I need a status symbol... give me provider, mod, admin or heck even an asshole group. I don't care. I just want to be different... just for bragging rights though.

• How about 5 ASCII stars?

Thanked by 1IThinkUFailed
  • IThinkUFailedIThinkUFailed Member
    edited February 2016

@Traffic said:
    How about 5 ASCII stars?

I'll take it!

☆☆☆☆☆

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • DillybobDillybob Member
    edited February 2016

Much better names than the corporate title's at WHT, thank you.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2016

/me ☆☆☆☆☆

• @Amitz said:

That "Super Moderator" title makes it even more classy.

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • Yay, I feel incredibly sexy with both of those e-penises. It's nearly like having tentacles and being the main act in one of those @Nekki movies.

Thanked by 2Traffic Junkless
  • @Amitz said:
    Yay, I feel incredibly sexy with both of those e-penises. It's nearly like having tentacles and being the main act in one of those Nekki movies.

The only thing left is a different username color. Black, or rainbow (animated) would be elegant choices.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • IThinkUFailedIThinkUFailed Member
    edited February 2016

@Amitz said:
    ☆☆☆☆☆

Wow... @Jarland why do I not have this yet? What the hell am I paying you $150/mo for ?!? This damn Member tag?!

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • @Traffic said:
    The only thing left is a different username color. Black, or rainbow (animated) would be elegant choices.

Exactly. And 1280x1024 blinking animated GIFs in signatures. Bring back the 90ies!

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2016

@IThinkUFailed said:
    Wow... Jarland why do I not have this yet? What the hell am I paying you $150/mo for ?!? This damn Member tag?!

Well, 5 stars involve money AND physical activities. I earned them the hard way. Lewinsky style. Ask @jarland...

Thanked by 2jar Junkless
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited February 2016

Good to see this issue has been given the clarification it deserved. Now we can all rest with our increased knowledge of LowEndPolicies.

• @Amitz said:
    I earned them the hard way. Lewinsky style. Ask @jarland...

• LeeLee Veteran

Amitz said: Bring back the 90ies!

Slicing Photoshop designs into HTML and BOOM! A Website!

• That's sounds very good. Very pretty.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Damn ... already got the corporate title joke, @Dillybob had been paged, jokes about @jarland's next fellatrix have been made...there's nothing left for me to do.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jarland said: That would reinforce that the provider title is actually a status symbol.

Right. Provider title is NOT a status symbol.

It's a sex symbol.