Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DNS Question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS Question

How would you use Cloudflare to delegate records to your NS? I have tried defining NS and A records without success. Not sure what a registrar is doing differently.

Overall how would you register a nameserver NS/A without using a registrar.

Comments

• Did you add your domain to cloudflare & add cloudflare's nameserver to your domain?

• In the past yes. I know dns very well, so not sure what i missed.

• in that case did you open a ticket with them?

• No, dont see reason to. Just figuring this out on my own and trying to understand what im missing.

• i don't under stand the question so i will tell you the basics

add the NS servers provided by Cloud Flare to change the default name Registers provided by your register

then wait for 18-24 hour for cloud flare to detect the domains then all goes as smoothly

what can you do wrong is adding records to default name server provided by your register
    so find the option to change the name name servers from default ones provided by your register to Cloud flare provided ones.

• It sounds like you're trying to set up vanity dns servers. It can be done but not on the free plan.

• No, trying to use CF as a springboard to delegate to my own NS from CF.

• @pcfreak30 said: No, trying to use CF as a springboard to delegate to my own NS from CF.

Which sounds like vanity nameservers. You need to be able to specify NS records in the CF DNS, which can't be done in their free tier. Suggest you try Rage4 for that.

• @aglodek said:
    Which sounds like vanity nameservers. You need to be able to specify NS records in the CF DNS, which can't be done in their free tier. Suggest you try Rage4 for that.

NS records can be created on free.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @pcfreak30 said: NS records can be created on free.

I stand corrected, thanks!

• @pcfreak30 said:
    NS records can be created on free.

@aglodek said:
    I stand corrected, thanks!

No @aglodek you could well be right, OP needs to describe exactly what he is looking to achieve and state whether he is on free/paid Cloudflare

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200169006-Can-I-get-vanity-or-custom-NameServers-using-CloudFlare-

• pcfreak30pcfreak30 Member
    edited February 2016

I do not want vanity NS. I am trying to forward delegate the DNS to another NS via cloudflare. as in whois points to CF, then CF has NS records to forward to me.

• @pcfreak30 said:
    I do not want vanity NS. I am trying to forward delegate the DNS to another NS via cloudflare. as in whois points to CF, then CF has NS records to forward to me.

I don't believe this is possible with the root domain. It may be possible to delegate a subdomain on CF though, although I appreciate this is not what you're looking to do.

I'm happy to be proven wrong if that helps you any :)

• What is the difference between a ns and glue record? From my understanding I need a glue record to delegate.