Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what do you guys use to monitor servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

what do you guys use to monitor servers?

Hi,

we have 200+ servers across several locations. We use newrelic/nagios to monitor them.

However we are finding it difficult to find certain business centric data such as follow

1. Which servers are not optimally performing?

2. Which servers required upgrade

Is there a solution which will show us all server stats in a single page with average data for past 15 days.

Comments

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

It seems many LowEndProviders are using the well tested CBID - Customer Based Issue Detection, It really simple and requires minimum setup. All you have to do is wait for a ticket to be created because the "Server is down".

Some providers also require a post on the LET forums as a confirmation.

• alexnjhalexnjh Member
    edited February 2016

I use 4.

PRTG , StatusCake, Uptime Robot, Nixstats

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • @pbgben said:
    It seems many LowEndProviders are using the well tested CBID - Customer Based Issue Detection, It really simple and requires minimum setup. All you have to do is wait for a ticket to be created because the "Server is down".

Ah, the old "The Customer Must Do All The Work" method. I can dig it.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

nodeping + observium

Thanked by 1NodePing
  • pbgben said: Some providers also require a post on the LET forums as a confirmation.

This actually adds a level of sophistication because the urgency of problem can easily be judged by the number of pages the thread runs. One page is yellow, two pages is orange, and three pages is code red.

Thanked by 1Rolter
  • TheZealousTheZealous Member
    edited February 2016

We use Pingdom and nixstats to monitor our servers.

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • @pbgben said:

@Nexhost

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • RolterRolter Member
    edited February 2016

Uptime robot for hosts and Newrelic for servers

• LibreNMS for internal use, NixStats for public/customers

Thanked by 2MikePT vfuse
  • NixStats, NewRelic Synthetics, Uptime Doctor - all four have free 1 minute monitoring from different locations.

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

smokeping, icinga, librenms

• afterSt0rmafterSt0rm Member
    edited February 2016

Zabbix, Observium or Nagios. For non critical services, NixStats.

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • Have been using Nixstats but got a HostUS box last month, playing with Nagios a lot & soon will move everything to Nagios.

Thanked by 1vfuse
    • Uptime Robot
  • cloudstats.me

• I use @onepound 's external monitoring service (free 10 checks for clients).
    I'm very impressed.

Thanked by 1onepound
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

I use @vfuse nixstats <3 and LibreNMS. Nixstats sms notifications arent working for me, though, but it does a pretty amazing job.

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

OP is really asking for two different things.

1. Which servers are not optimally performing?

This is arguably more capacity planning or APM than "monitoring". There's a whole subindustry devoted to this - what does "not optimally" mean? Is it something as crude as CPU load, or something more sophisticated like "number of milliseconds for the query to return" and if so are you instrumenting at every level of the stack - server, network, app, database, etc.

1. Which servers required upgrade

This is perhaps more configuration management than "monitoring". Depends what you mean by "upgrade". If you mean "has not run apt-get upgrade in six months" that's one thing; upgrade because the server is not performing well/is out of warranty/is CPU model X and that's too old/etc. that's different.

Lots of people in this thread mentioned external monitoring services. For example, @NodePing is great but they're on the outside...other solutions which have an agent are needed if you want things like "is this process down".

• Low on resources and infinitely customisable: Xymon

• NIXStats and New Relic.

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2016

Mainly LibreNMS and an open source PHP script to check UDP every minute. Useful since both have e-mail, SMS, and Pushover alerts.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@MrGeneral said:
    I use vfuse nixstats <3 and LibreNMS. Nixstats sms notifications arent working for me, though, but it does a pretty amazing job.

Will bring back SMS messages asap, they ran out a bit fast last time (topped up $200 at twilio and lasted about 2 months)

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Zabbix

• JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2016

I'm using new relic and librenms (moved from observium).

I'm guessing the sms notifications aren't free to end users?

@vfuse said:
    Will bring back SMS messages asap, they ran out a bit fast last time (topped up $200 at twilio and lasted about 2 months)

• manlivomanlivo Member
    edited February 2016
    1. Pingdom but moved to Uptime Robot
    2. NewRelic
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@Jacob said:
    I'm using new relic and librenms (moved from observium).

I'm guessing the sms notifications aren't free to end users?

During beta everything is free.

• I'm using Nixstats for a single site.