Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Happy Chinese New Year! / Happy Lunar New Year!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Happy Chinese New Year! / Happy Lunar New Year!

Comments

• Happy Chinese New Year!!

• Happy Chinese New Year!

• I ordered something from China and they haven't dispatched it yet.

Now I have to wait an entire week for someone to even look at my ticket :(

Happy new year!

• edited February 2016

@Ishaq said:
    I ordered something from China and they haven't dispatched it yet.

Now I have to wait an entire week for someone to even look at my ticket :(

Happy new year!

Lol, ordering anything from china takes 1-3 months to get here

• 恭喜发财!

。。。

红包拿来 (VPS 也可以)

Thanked by 1PrincessOfCats
  • Happy New Chinese Year!

On a serious note, I'm waiting 30+ days for a new gearset for my motorcycle, and just got word from the supplier that they needed just a few more days to ship it out, unfortunately those few days will be done after a whole week of celebrations, so I expect shipment like on the 15th or 16th D:

• I am so happy I ordered my new Thinkpad when I did...

• Silvenga said: I am so happy I ordered my new Thinkpad when I did...

Which series?

• black said: Which series?

P50. :D

• Kung hei fat choi. Where is my lai see?

• @n0my said:
    Kung hei fat choi. Where is my lai see?

Where's my free server??!?

Thanked by 1n0my
  • Im not married so give me lai see in form of leb server ;)

• Is any Chinese here married? I would like to get a free annual VPS from you :)

• Upon Googling the holiday, married couples give red pockets with money in them.

Of course, how rude of me to not ask for my free annual dedicated server? :p

• @FlamesRunner said:
    Of course, how rude of me to not ask for my free annual dedicated server? :p

That's way too little to ask for! You should ask for free lifetime dedicated server! :p

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • Happy Chinese New Year 2016. Gong Xi Fa Cai.

• There is no such thing is Chinese new year guys!!! Don't be mistaken by the "Chinese new year" propaganda. The correct way to say is "Happy Lunar New Year!". The Chinese is not the only one that celebrating this new year. There are other country in Asia that are celebrating the Lunar New Year, such as Singapore, Taiwan, Vietnam etc...

The Chinese tend to think they own the world. They share the Lunar new year with a lot of other country in term of "culture aspect". So they decided to call it Chinese New Year :). I laugh by this so hard when people here say "Happy Chinese New Year". I told my coworkers, the Chinese aren't own the Lunar new year :). They can celebrating it with everyone else, by saying "Happy Lunar New Year!".

Cheers!

Thanked by 1manlivo
  • @TheZealous said:
    There is no such thing is Chinese new year guys!!! Don't be mistaken by the "Chinese new year" propaganda. The correct way to say is "Happy Lunar New Year!". The Chinese is not the only one that celebrating this new year. There are other country in Asia that are celebrating the Lunar New Year, such as Singapore, Taiwan, Vietnam etc...

The Chinese tend to think they own the world. They share the Lunar new year with a lot of other country in term of "culture aspect". So they decided to call it Chinese New Year :). I laugh by this so hard when people here say "Happy Chinese New Year". I told my coworkers, the Chinese aren't own the Lunar new year :). They can celebrating it with everyone else, by saying "Happy Lunar New Year!".

Cheers!

Ah, typical Singaporeans like me take it as " Chinese New Year", but we refer to "Chinese" as a race, not a nationality, in this context :)

Lunar New Year just doesn't seem to be very familiar to me anyway.

• TheZealousTheZealous Member
    edited February 2016

@theroyalstudent said:
    Lunar New Year just doesn't seem to be very familiar to me anyway.

Like I said previously. The Chinese thought they owned this world. So they decided to name almost everything and anything they shared with other Asian countries. "Chinese New year" is one of them. "Chinese calendar" is another one. They probably claim that they invented the rice tree as well. Freaking Chinese everything.

• TheZealous said: "Chinese calendar" is another one.

农历 = Lunar Calendar, but some people add "Chinese" before "Lunar".

• @TheZealous said:

Interesting point. You thought the Chinese thought that but did they really think what you thought they thought? Soon we will be calling American born Chinese as "American born lunar" because they are us citizens now.

• @msg7086 said:
    Interesting point. You thought the Chinese thought that but did they really think what you thought they thought?

Well, as far as I can see, they spread out the word to the world today and seems like everyone refer to Lunar New Year is Chinese new year... So you think of that and let me know if they thought what I thought about that... For those who are Chinese that were "escaped" from the communists control in China to the USA, I am happy for them. We usually referred to them as Chinese American (if they hold a citizenship with the US".

• Happy New Year

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited February 2016

@TheZealous said:

And just a FYI, Chinese calendar and Lunar calendar are different things. If you ever read the wikipedia, on the very top of the page Chinese calendar it says that the topic is not about Lunar calendar. And you can also find the same notice on the latter telling you it's not the former one.

• And yes you can also find the difference between Lunar New Year and Chinese New Year on Wikipedia, if interested.

• @msg7086 said:
    And just a FYI, Chinese calendar and Lunar calendar are different things. If you ever read the wikipedia, on the very top of the page Chinese calendar it says that the topic is not about Lunar calendar. And you can also find the same notice on the latter telling you it's not the former one.

I don't see on the very top of the page where it stated that Chinese calendar and Lunar calendar are different thing as you mention. I however, found out that Chinese calendar is in fact lunisolar, which mean the Chinese steal the idea of Lunar Calendar and start calling it the "Chinese Calendar". If you read the 2 articles below in English, the first article stated that Chinese calendar is a lunisolar calendar... The 2nd article telling us what Lunar Calendar is all about, but doesn't mention that Lunar Calendar is Chinese Calendar. Just want to make the point! :).

"The Chinese calendar is a lunisolar calendar which reckons years, months and days according to astronomical phenomena."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_calendar

and

"Most calendars referred to as "lunar" calendars are in fact lunisolar calendars."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_calendar

• Happy Lunar New Year!

• @TheZealous said:

A bit too hard for you to understand?

And lunar calendar is just a way of creating calendar by observing the lunar phases. I'd assume the moon is a shared resource of mankind and anyone can observer the lunar phases and create their own copy of calendar, thus Chinese calendar, Hindu calendar, Korean calendar, and more variations all over the world. If someone holds a patent on the ways of creating a variation of lunar calendar, please share with us.