Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are lifetime dedicated servers (one time cost) a thing?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are lifetime dedicated servers (one time cost) a thing?

Just curious - are one-time fee, lifetime dedicated servers offered by anyone? Like Cloudatcost or https://theforevercloud.com but for dedicated servers. Or even a 5+ year upfront plan. Sorry if this has been discussed before, I searched for "lifetime dedicated" and "one time dedicated" and didn't find anything.

Comments

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2016

I (and many others here, at least those 10-15 with a brain) do not trust lifetime vps offers already, why should I do with dedicated servers?

• @Amitz Yeah, only time will tell how long those "lifetime" VPSs last. I figure it'd be harder to screw with your resources with a lifetime dedi, though the network could degrade

• No.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • If you see one, run.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2016

The whole business model of one-time-lifetime-payments always seemed flawed to me from every intellectual point of view that I can imagine. An offer like this would have to come from a long-term established and very reliable company for me to even think about it. And still, I would probably not choose that path in the end. It might be just me and my limited horizon, but I am conservative when it comes to business models... I would prefer buying a server and colocate it. Or to follow the RTO model if I would not have the whole amount of money upfront.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • you only need pay ONCE to own a server, right?

• FarmerOakFarmerOak Member
    edited February 2016

@century1stop Yeah, or even with a "you pay for hardware replacement" clause. So if a drive fails, you buy from a menu of drives plus a fee to install.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited February 2016

Yes, they exist.

You buy one yourself and the initial cost is a one time life capital cost. Mostly.

Further costs spent on the server are either of capital or revenue nature, either one-offs or recurring costs. Costs can be paid off once or over a time.

• LeeLee Veteran

I am even wary of yearly deals never mind lifetime ones.

• that can't be helped operations overheads, plus from there, you'll see why lifetime offer don't make sense

@FarmerOak said:
    century1stop Yeah, or even with a "you pay for hardware replacement" clause. So if a drive fails, you buy from a menu of drives plus a fee to install.

• Thanks guys.

@GM2015 Do you know of any companies that offer that?

• It was just an accounting way of saying you buy a server yourself and host it somewhere.

Hosting it somewhere costs money and repairing it costs money too.

Ebay, amazon and many companies sell computers and parts to DIY/BIY.

FarmerOak said: Do you know of any companies that offer that?

• Pay an one time fee, keep the server for a life time... until deadpooled...

• For a company that needs a quick infusion of cash this could be a way to do it if they don't have other funding possibilities. However, that in itself would make me want to stay away.

Thanked by 1FarmerOak
  • ItsChrisGItsChrisG Member
    edited February 2016

[disrespectful comment]

• Sure. If you're willing to pay, I don't see why a provider wouldn't accommodate a 5 year plan.

Thanked by 1FarmerOak
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2016

@ItsChrisG said:
    [disrespectful comment]

While I would not word it in the same way, I am still suprised to ever agree with you.
    Or, to say it differently: OP, you are looking for colocation (after buying a server yourself) or the term RTO (Rent to Own). Besides that, you are looking a bit like Johnny Nuggets, did anyone tell that to you before? No? You're welcome!

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • @Amitz said:
    Or, to say it differently: OP, you are looking for colocation (after buying a server yourself) or the term RTO (Rent to Own). Besides that, you are looking a bit like Johnny Nuggets, did anyone tell that to you before? No? You're welcome!

So I take JNuggets is now a standard to strive to never fall to? :P.

• BlazingServersBlazingServers Member, Host Rep

I can do that...Gimme $100000(one time) and I will be giving you a Dedicated Server for YOUR lifetime.

Thanked by 1FarmerOak
  • Most software developers/companies are moving away from onetime payment offers , that says something about such a business model .

• Nothing last forever n we both know any provider can go deadpool

• Thanks for the constructive notes to those who gave them.

• @FarmerOak said:
    Thanks for the constructive notes to those who gave them.

You're welcome. Your new avatar looks less Nuggets.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

I guess if you are wanting a life time deal you would just buy a server out right and then just pay a monthly colo fee. But I am don't know any host that offers a set price and gives you a lifetime access to that server for no other charges.

I don't think that would be a good model for any host to really offer that.

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited February 2016

This is my experience with lifetime provider

• service disappears after 1, 2 months
    • paypal kaput after that
    • site goes poof

Average provider lifetime probably 2 months :D

• The only one time server is purchase your own and hosted on your home.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

First You pay them off, then they are using free energy aka stolen a cable from someone or really discovered free energy otherwise i cant explainz that.

Thanked by 2cassa Mark_R
  • hahaha great image

@Infinity580 said:
    First You pay them off, then they are using free energy aka stolen a cable from someone or really discovered free energy otherwise i cant explainz that.

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited February 2016

Infinity580 said: free energy otherwise

You probably shouldn't be exposing industrial secrets like that here. Now that drawing could end up in China.

Thanked by 1netomx