Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LET users moving from VMs to dedicated? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LET users moving from VMs to dedicated?

Comments

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2016

@vans1997 said:
    Where? :o

Don't ask. You are entering a world of pain.

• Primary reason is probably cheap dedis from established and respected providers.

Also agree with lbft. There's a lot of flakiness about these smaller outfits, it's easier to deal with more predictable/reliable/known providers, and resources. There's an attitude prevalent on these kind of forums and also with providers, partly because of some of the custom they attract.

ATM my server mix is 20 dedis, 350 VPS and 50 shared hosts. Out of 'managing' these (I dont really need to do anything other than set them up)... it's the small time VPS providers that are a pain in the arse. IP migrations, frivolous emails, big bold warnings about which ports should be used and how...

I'd rather deal with an OVH or even a Hostgator than deal with the kind of tone you get from these smaller time outfits, much like I'd expect a board rep to keep a civil tone. /lolz

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited February 2016

@ricardo said:
    Primary reason is probably cheap dedis from established and respected providers.

>

I'd rather deal with an OVH or even a Hostgator than deal with the kind of tone you get from these smaller time outfits, much like I'd expect a board rep to keep a civil tone. /lolz

Basically this. I'd rather deal with OVH, and all their flaws, than a lot of VPS hosts.

Don't get me wrong though, I still have quite a few VPSes, but nothing important goes onto a VPS anymore these days.

Thanked by 2doughmanes ollietrex
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited February 2016

Plus you can't really put 30TB photos and videos on a 100GB virtual disk.

Setsura said: Don't get me wrong though, I still have quite a few VPSes, but nothing important goes onto a VPS anymore these days.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I prefer VPSs over dedicated servers but I'll take my colocated server over a VPS any day. :)

• i prefer to build and colo my personal hardware

• KuJoe said: I prefer VPSs over dedicated servers but I'll take my colocated server over a VPS any day. :)

That makes perfect sense!

(where did you say you were from again?)

@Ole_Juul said:

I live in the US (Florida).

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@KuJoe said:

Wait, I thought you went to Denver?

Francisco

• A good virtual server cost $10 or $20 bucks why not buy a dedicated server at the same price. I see users moving from virtual servers to dedicated servers simply because the prices are pretty much the same.

@Francisco said:

I moved back a few months ago.

VyprNetworks said: A good virtual server cost $10 or $20 bucks why not buy a dedicated server at the same price.

For me it's budget, all of my projects rely on a lot of servers in different locations so my budget for each one is about $20/year. Most of them are extremely reliable and come with more resources than I'll ever need also.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I was just curious why a colocated wouldn't be dedicated.

@Ole_Juul said:
    I was just curious why a colocated wouldn't be dedicated.

Because I'm not paying for the colocation. :)

Thanked by 2Ole_Juul lazyt
  • I host around 20 websites with less than 2k visits per day on two VPSes. Good VPS deals are still way cheaper than Dedicated servers.

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited February 2016

@KuJoe said:
    I prefer VPSs over dedicated servers but I'll take my colocated server over a VPS any day. :)

@GCat said:
    i prefer to build and colo my personal hardware

Yeah I'm likely going the colo route soon myself, I've constantly run into limitations with what I can do on dedicated servers in terms of hardware config versus keeping decent pricing. Colo is the next logical step for me, sadly where I live now(NorCal) has basically no decent priced colo places. I'm moving back to Florida soon though where I'll probably grab some space at GoRack in Jacksonville.

• @VPSensational said:
    I'd rather have a fair share of a great server with a quality CPU and SSD than my very own ancient piece of junk with a weak CPU and slow HDD.

Think in general that's my position too, another huge advantage for me is that you can kill & rebuild a VPS over and over and learn as you go. I know you can do this with Dedicated but sure you get my point. I have learnt so much in the past 12 months with that approach.

I was considering a dedi to start looking at virtualization etc and at some point I probably will but as OP said and I have quoted above...

• Just remember a large number of people who buy LET offers won't be very vocal (unless something goes wrong). People still are and always will be buying $15 yearly VPS's with insane resources from unknown providers and hosting important projects with no backups.

$20 can be a lot to spend on a dedicated server for some people, and just because it's a dedicated provider with a ton of hardware does not mean they will be any more reliable, look at burstnet for example (or even dacentec with their recent power issues).

Thanked by 1lbft
  • @apidevlab said:
    I was considering a dedi to start looking at virtualization etc and at some point I probably will but as OP said and I have quoted above...

I've looked at this, but the price of a dedi and the price of additional IPv4s to create my own VMs all starts to add up to more than the price of a few decent quality VMs, either with one provider or spread across a few. I'm not talking junk, but good quality VMs from a reputable provider.

I also can't justify the time and effort required to maintain my own dedi with my own virtualisation infrastructure when I can just pay a provider to do it for me, and have virtualisation experts maintain things.

• I don't think people realize how much $ is floating around on LET. As projects grow, it's only natural that the resources do as well.

• PremiumNPremiumN Member
    edited February 2016

look at burstnet for example (or even dacentec Delimiter with their recent power issues).

Fixed

• Have a box in Co-Lo, a few Dedis (because they're really cheap online.net ones) and a couple VM's on other providers.

The nice thing about the Co-Lo'd box is It's mine, therefore It's got the Drives I wanted in the configuration I wanted. But also upto a point it doesn't cost me any different no matter what I do with it. This is quite nice when I want to build a VM to test with as I know even if I abuse the hell out of the CPU/IO i'm not affecting anyone else but myself. Infact it's only really the network usage I have to care about.

Yes there are cloud providers that let you scale up/scale down when needed but as soon as you want more than a couple GB of ram 100's of GB of disk or lots of CPU time they get rather expensive rather quickly.

Thanked by 2MikePT elgs
  • lbftlbft Member
    edited February 2016

The downside to colo is that if something breaks, you're the one eating the cost (and not just for replacing the broken thing - you've either got to pay for remote hands or take the time to fix it yourself). On a dedi, hardware failures don't cost more money, just inconvenience.

Thanked by 2MikePT elgs
  • yes - that is the trend from VM to dedi - also because the price is mostly bargain and i can use full cpu-power for hungry scripts!

• @Amitz said:
    What is all that recent "I do what I want" and "It is like it is" stuff about that is coming from you? Any personal crisis? Pissed by your partner? It is really striking and seems like a late puberty flash. What's going on, @jarland?

He's operating LET, you know... @mpkossen can tell

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

For the average budget LET people want so spend I wouldn't consider grabbing a cheap dedicated server. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the CPU that comes with these servers are most of time just worthless.
    If it's me making a decision, I would definitely go for a VPS, as you 'should' get quality hardware resources assigned.
    Plus the fact you don't have to worry about hardware replacements like failing drives. I've heard enough stories about slow hardware replacements on those bargain dedicated boxes.

But on the other hand... if you are in a low budget situation where you just need "x" TB storage, it could be in an option.
    After all it really depends on the requirements and expectations you would have.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

VPSensational said: and the price of additional IPv4s to create my own VMs

Why would you need additional IPv4 to create your own VMs? You did not figure out IPv6 and haproxy yet?

• Seeing as Dedicated Servers are becoming cheaper and cheaper all the time, It's only natural that people move away from something they have little control over to something they almost have full control over and that may actually be cheaper for what you get!

• Dedicated Servers anytime over VPS. But again, only if those Dedicated Servers are provided by Hardware Owners and not a middleman like a Reseller. Reseller can b good for basic website hosting but Dedicated Servers is a different ball game.

• I think a year from now I'll be doing colo as well. The upgrades for dedicated servers cost too much :/

• black said: I think a year from now I'll be doing colo as well. The upgrades for dedicated servers cost too much :/

That might be my next step too.