Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LET users moving from VMs to dedicated?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LET users moving from VMs to dedicated?

blackblack Member
edited February 2016 in General

I've noticed a general trend towards interest in dedicated servers, more so than VMs.

Personally, my projects are getting big enough that it requires dedicated servers, but still some websites work well on a VM. I definitely have more dedicated servers than I did last year.

Are we all growing up and we have more money to throw at servers? Are our projects getting bigger that need dedicated resources? Are dedicated servers the next fun thing to play with instead of VMs? Discuss.

Thanked by 3FrankZ seoworld sipe

Comments

• VPSensationalVPSensational Member
    edited February 2016

I've had a cheap Dedibox from Online.net and switched back to a quality VPS. I'd rather have a fair share of a great server with a quality CPU and SSD than my very own ancient piece of junk with a weak CPU and slow HDD.

It probably doesn't hold true for the dirt-cheap oversold LE* OVZ VPS services, but I've found myself with faster response times on my websites with a good quality KVM SSD VPS than I did with my Dedibox.

Good topic and I hope we get some different views.

• sirmbhesirmbhe Member
    edited February 2016

I think mostly because the price of dedicated server has went down so much that it is priced same or cheaper than a VM. Now we can get an octa core server for $20-30/month. Having the roughly similiar spec-ed VM, let's say on DigitalOcean or Linode could cost us 3-4 times more than that. So yeah, I think it is more about pricing than anything else. Cmiiw

Thanked by 1seoworld
  • SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited February 2016

LET is a hobby for me. It's also a learning experience and I've learned all I can with VM's (I still have VM's for side projects). I'm now learning more about routing, IPv6, how data centers are setup, creating VM's, etc. These things are best done with a dedicated.

Thanked by 2MSPNick seoworld
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Dedicated servers and smart servers are getting more affordable, so that probably having an impact.

Thanked by 1seoworld
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2016

@jbiloh said:
    Dedicated servers and smart servers are getting more affordable, so that probably having an impact.

The only smart server that I know of is my wife and she can be quite expensive. What's your definition?

P.S.: Please don't tell my wife about this poor joke... Promised? She might return me back to the caveman asylum where she picked me up out of pity decades ago...

• i can imagine that alot of people start to get tired of vps providers that promise a amount of resources but whenever you truely start to utilize these resources they turn off your server.

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited February 2016

I made a prediction a year ago about this with dedicated servers meeting the price prediction I had but strangely my discussions with providers who do both VPS and dedicated or just dedicated only in the "low end" budgets show that customers strangely still prefer a VPS.

The more 'power user' customers are using dedicated servers like myself. Dacentec's RTO offers got me off the VPS addiction.

My new theory is they collect and hoard VPS servers for some weird reason.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Mark_R said:
    i can imagine that alot of people start to get tired of vps providers that promise a amount of resources but whenever you truely start to utilize these resources they turn off your server.

Definitely, and I think a lot of that stems from an inability to recognize when you should be using a VM and when you should have dedicated hardware.

Both have their use cases, neither would be a better choice than the other in all cases, but both would definitely be better in individual cases. It goes without saying that I still use a lot of VMs, but a hefty portion are on my own RAID10 backed dedis :)

• @jbiloh said:

You mean 19$/m for E3, 16gb ram, 1tb hdd and 10tb traffic, right?

• Depends on what you need, doesn't it?

Also personally managing 2-5 dedicated servers is easier than say 30-40 virtual ones. And might be even cheaper.

Thanked by 3KamA doughmanes Amitz
  • @jarland said:
    Definitely, and I think a lot of that stems from an inability to recognize when you should be using a VM and when you should have dedicated hardware.

It shouldnt matter, you pay for a vps plan with a specific set of resource specifications that fit your needs, you expect that you're going to be able to fully utilize this amount of resources because it is advertised as such by the provider. if the provider cannot allow full consumption of the assigned resources then they shouldnt offer it, doing so is just not being straight upfront.

• VPSensational said: I've found myself with faster response times on my websites with a good quality KVM SSD VPS than I did with my Dedibox.

Are you using a EU VPS or comparing US VPS to a dedicated server in France?

edited February 2016

Mark_R said: if the provider cannot allow full consumption of the assigned resources then they shouldnt offer it, doing so is just not being straight upfront.

I mean they usually are. There are exceptions to that. Most don't say "Dedicated CPU cores" for example. It's generally expected that people aren't buying VMs that don't understand what they are.

• The sites that I manage could run off a small VPS most of the time but all have sudden and sometimes longer spikes in traffic which can lead to disruption on the node. I love to be a friendly neighbour and don't want to either disturb other customers or my provider in his sleep. Therefore I moved more and more to dedicated servers, especially now as they have become so much more affordable than 5-10 years before.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @jarland said:
    I mean they usually are. There are exceptions to that. Most don't say "Dedicated CPU cores" for example. It's generally expected that people aren't buying VMs that don't understand what they are.

whenever someone knows how vps are operated or not is irrelevant, you advertise x specs you should provide it too and not punish a user who just consumes what he paid for. if you think that false advertising is acceptable then you might aswel just come out and say so.

Thanked by 2DomainBop apidevlab
    edited February 2016

Mark_R said: whenever someone knows how vps are operated or not is irrelevant, you advertise x specs you should provide it too and not punish a user who just consumes what he paid for. if you think that false advertising is acceptable then you might aswel just come out and say so.

I was just having a nice conversation, you're just being defensive and argumentative. I'll avoid speaking to you again, my mistake for trying to have a light hearted conversation. You can argue with someone else.

• I mean who seriously believes they're going to get a full core on a fast food dollar menu budget?

• @jarland said:
    I was just having a nice conversation, you're just being a defensive prick. I'll avoid speaking to you again, my mistake.

Go back to your Nguyen server, you miserable role model.

• @jarland said:
    I was just having a nice conversation, you're just being a defensive prick. I'll avoid speaking to you again, my mistake.

i wasnt trying to offend you in any way. if you feel like i did then i apologize.

kinda odd you back out now though.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited February 2016

Mark_R said: kinda odd you back out now though.

Not really. Just because you wanted to have an argument doesn't mean I wanted to :)

I do what I want.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Mark_R said: whenever someone knows how vps are operated or not is irrelevant

Naa, its still a shared resource environment, thats the absolute basic detail you need to know if your buying one.

If you don't you should be buying a managed service, or understand it was your mistake and learn from it, I don't get on a bus and expect the driver to tell everyone else to hold the fuck on while he takes a dedicated route to drop me off.

I do understand where your coming from though, ram should be yours, and you should be able to use as much CPU as is defined in the FUP.

No one buys a VPS that does not first know the basics of how a PC works in general, if your dad is running a GPU miner your game of candy crush will suffer :)

• Mark_R said: you advertise x specs you should provide it too and not punish a user who just consumes what he paid for

I've never suspended anyone for consuming the advertised resources, but when they do, they usually become abusive to their neighbors, and will spend more time arguing that fact than it would take them to fix their out of control system. I've found it best to turn it around on them, if someone else was causing their system to suffer, would you expect me to address the issue with them?

@Mark_R you seem to be hell bent on the advertised specs, but are the advertised specs sustainable? If they are clearly not sustainable, you will find many ghosts lurking that will pop out on you at some point, now what?

If you purchase only what you know you need then proceed to use 100% of that, how are you going to handle any uptick in demand? Most people provision/purchase based on leaving themselves headroom for random spikes in resource needs. So if you are just trying to prove a point, I get it, but look at your arguments flaws as well.

Thanked by 3doughmanes Mark_R jar
  • @jarland said:
    I do what I want.

What is all that recent "I do what I want" and "It is like it is" stuff about that is coming from you? Any personal crisis? Pissed by your partner? It is really striking and seems like a late puberty flash. What's going on, @jarland?

• @mitgib

my arguments never will be good enough for everyone and thats completely fine. as long the main point gets there its all good, english is not my primary language so that definitly will ruin some things that i try to get agross.

just like @jarland i'll be backing out. whats that saying again? agree to disagree? ;D

Thanked by 4jar miTgiB Ole_Juul iKeyZ
  • "I do what I want" could be a Southpark reference

Thanked by 1jar

Amitz said: What is all that recent "I do what I want" and "It is like it is" stuff about that is coming from you? Any personal crisis? Pissed by your partner? It is really striking and seems like a late puberty flash. What's going on, @jarland?

Not really a discussion for this thread is it? ;)

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • @doughmanes said:
    Are you using a EU VPS or comparing US VPS to a dedicated server in France?

I'm located in the UK and my VPS is also in the UK. There's no appreciable difference in latency between the two, the VPS is just a stronger machine than the Online.net box.

It's also good to be off Online.net's cess pool of a network - so many of the junk brute force attacks come from 62.210.0.0/16. I'd rather my legit sites weren't in that filthy range!

• @Mark_R said:
    i can imagine that alot of people start to get tired of vps providers that promise a amount of resources but whenever you truely start to utilize these resources they turn off your server.

I agree with this explanation.

Thanked by 1apidevlab
  • It's not just a trend towards VMs, it's a trend against small and new providers.

I'd imagine it's just a matter of reaching a large enough proportion of people who have either gotten sick of being burned by shithosts or gotten sick of seeing other people be burned by shithosts.

Thanked by 2jar DomainBop
  • @tr1cky said:
    You mean 19$/m for E3, 16gb ram, 1tb hdd and 10tb traffic, right?

Where? :o