Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ZPanel hosting control panel - your opinion? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ZPanel hosting control panel - your opinion?

2»

Comments

• Just setup and configured ZPanel (v10) on a CentOS 6 box.

I am very impressed, especially with the fact that email works out of the box, easy to add domains and high configurability (you can still SSH in and install APC, tweak Apache etc).

Also I put the admin control panel behind basic authentication (.htaccess/.htpasswd) to lower the risk of drive-by/automated exploits.

Two thumbs up so far, if anything changes I'll post here. ;)

• Pretty much doing the same thing with a VPS from CrownCloud @Speedbus

I'll post as well.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@jhadley said: Plesk 11

Personally I don't like Plesk

kloxo - I don't recommend this ugly and unsecure control panel.

ZPanel looks great!

• ZPanel is still unsecure.

• @TheHackBox said: ZPanel is still unsecure.

People keep saying that...

I have only found one 0-day for ZPanel - link: http://forums.zpanelcp.com/showthread.php?12227-ZPanel-in-the-news-attacked-by-Anonymous&p=75821#post75821

It was promptly patched. What more can you ask?

I agree it's likely not as safe as Kloxo or Plesk because ZPanel has much smaller team and no product for sale (they don't even provide paid support). It's more like a hobby project in that aspect, really.

But there is a right tool for everything. ZPanel might not be for hosting giants, but it does have clear advantages over the other big cpanels, and it performs its job very competently.

tl;dr - probably don't run zpanel if you want to be the next godaddy

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2012

@littleguy said: People keep saying that...

I have only found one 0-day for ZPanel - link: http://forums.zpanelcp.com/showthread.php?12227-ZPanel-in-the-news-attacked-by-Anonymous&p=75821#post75821

It was promptly patched. What more can you ask?

Okay, this shit again.

1. I was the person that discovered the mentioned vuln to start with. It was not taken as seriously as it should have been - in fact, the whole reason I found this vulnerability in the first place, was because they needed to be shown that their software was insecure, before they even considered thinking about using proper and secure coding practices. I'm sure many of the people that were in the IRC channel at that time, can shed some more light on this issue.
    2. They lied about the origin of said vulnerability report. Their "professional security firm" did not in fact report this vulnerability to them - I found this vulnerability after WebSec did their audit, and they were unaware of it at that point.
    3. Have a read here. Do I really need to say any more?

@littleguy said: I agree it's likely not as safe as Kloxo or Plesk because ZPanel has much smaller team and no product for sale (they don't even provide paid support). It's more like a hobby project in that aspect, really.

Yes, and it's treated by them as such. Meaning that until they beef up their security policies (because seriously, this is an unacceptable level of security for ANY kind of panel regardless of whether it is a commercial project or not), you should NOT be using this panel on any server that has ANYTHING you want to keep secure.

EDIT: Oh yeah, did I mention that WebSec also missed all the vulnerabilities in the Pastebin above? And that there is at least one severe unpublished vulnerability in there?

• I m currently using on my VPS. It seems to be working fine for a week or so. I m actually glad with the product. But I m not hosting any serious web sites or such on my VPS, currently. All little development stuff and test work.

zPanel looks like a good project, works fine. I believe these guys should be supported. In anyways.

But I recommend people with serious stuff on their VPS to wait a little more and try more reliable control panels. What joepie has been telling looks serious

• littleguylittleguy Member
    edited November 2012

Apparently ZPanel is now getting CSRF protection.

http://i.imgur.com/ED9Rp.png

Unfortunately he misspelled the term. D'oh.

Edit: This is a happy post, because development is good!

• If your clients were at all concerned about reliability and ability to contact support they would just go with cPanel, Kloxo, or Plesk. Virtualmin is okay, but it is nowhere as user friendly. I have one customer who refuses to RTFM with virtualmin and just keeps opening a ticket about things.

• Kloxo: the development no futher update, not yet release 64 bit
    Virtualmin: very complicated, use their own term, use java based file manager (very slow). god for expert user
    Plesk: only popular on Windows, has limited users
    CPanel: the best and most popular hosting panel

ZPanel since 10 version, called as ZpanelX has made very god improvement. Tehir release ZPanel 10.0.1 then 10.0.2 to fix any reported bugs. ZPanel very similiar to CPanel, support 32 and 64 bit, support both Linux and Windows.

In short, for Share Hosting the only once choose is CPanel, but for VPS you may choose ZPanel for budget concern. ZPanel need more time to meet CPanel.

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@kotakomputer said: Kloxo: the development no futher update, not yet release 64 bit

Yeah it's really unfortunate how development never really progressed.. I think there is a fork by Mustafaramadhan called Kloxo-mr which may have support for 64bit but I think he is in the process of creating a new CP looks interesting cause he seems very helpful in the kloxo forum and also looks pretty capable..

Link to his forum - kloxo-mr

• @littleguy said: Tried Webmin but thought it was a bit too bloated for my needs.

Webmin is the lightest control panel out there. It uses like 10MB of RAM!

• i've read about zpanelcp article. it is compatible with virtualization XEN/KVM. OVZ is not recommended. but i've not tried it because my vps is lowend.

• It's compatible with OVZ, I run ZPanelCP with OVZ 512 MB and running well ...

• But because of some reason I can't get it working on Debian, keeps spitting out errors. While on Centos first install worked 100%

Good for personal use and friends but not for selling.

• I've used zPanel year ago, somewhere around 2006. It was a decent panel back then, missed some features but then again, it's free. Can't say anything about the current state of it though.

• Anyone know if it's normal for the DNS service (bind, I believe) to be ripping an entire core constantly after installation?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@winston said: Anyone know if it's normal for the DNS service (bind, I believe) to be ripping an entire core constantly after installation?

Seen that happen a couple times. Seems to clear up after a reboot I believe.

• @jarland said: Seen that happen a couple times. Seems to clear up after a reboot I believe.

Yep, thanks!

• http://freesimplehosting.com ;) http://freesimplehosting.com/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/2/setting-up-early-beta-like-hosting-accounts#Item_1

Please help me test out my ZPanel server. We are giving away free 10GB Shared Hosting accounts.

• @littleguy said: Working as a freelancer, I am looking to offer clients web hosting that they can manage themselves if needed.

Why? Are you going to compete with Hostgator?

You should do it for them, and charge for it. In my experience there's boatloads of small businesses that have little or no in-house hosting experience, and just want things to "work". They'll pay a monthly/annual fee to have you handle it. You become their go-to guy. They're happy, you make money and build a rep. It's value-added service .

• Forwarded my DNS servers to the VPS I installed zPanel on and set up the domain in DNS Manager. I also ran the daemon. My domain is presenting me with the login page.

http://planet.zpanelcp.com/doku.php?id=zpanel_6:articles:general_problems:zpanel_linux_domain_live_but_redirects_to_login.php

Followed that, still get the zPanel login page :(.