Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Required education path for working with a DC
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Required education path for working with a DC

I'm currently working as a front end developer but passion for servers were always there. Lately I thought about fleeing this company and find a new job in a local datacenter.

What I'm looking is at the required path to learn datacenter management.

I've already found a place to learn RHEL courses, to be exact following

RHCSA
RHCVA

Also I'm looking at RHCE and RHCA:DATACENTER

Would like to recived your input

Comments

• Why do you want working on DC?

You can manage server from anywwhere

• DCM involves a bit more than just working in a DC. Responsibility often includes managing UPS, gen sets, power distribution etc.

With a little understanding of server administration and hardware, you could easily land yourself a DC technician role.

• @tommy to get paid and need a place to stay at night. ;-)

@kcaj I've sound knowledge in UPS systems, hvac units, and diesel generators. Also I'm pretty good with hardware assembling, repairs, and networking. I guess helping friends really pays off.

@oliver nah... too mainstream. I work as a slave at a nearby apple farm

• @sdglhm said:
    tommy to get paid and need a place to stay at night. ;-)

kcaj I've sound knowledge in UPS systems, hvac units, and diesel generators. Also I'm pretty good with hardware assembling, repairs, and networking. I guess helping friends really pays off.

oliver nah... too mainstream. I work as a slave at a nearby apple farm

pfft

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I suspect you'll make more as a sysadmin than a datacenter tech. Techs rack servers, check the temp, and call in outsiders to fix HVAC/UPS/etc. Senior ones might do some airflow analysis or something but it's really not server work, other than remote hands.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • i guess networking is some of the most important thing you can learn. Getting cisco certified is a great idea. What the rest in the thread have said are good too. Good luck with learning, although you really would get more money being a sysadmin though

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

If you lived in Texas you could look at Texas State Technical College. They have a cloud and data center degree now. Not sure if they offer it online or not.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2016

Nah, there's hybrids.. Support Engineers.

On a more serious note, I wouldn't advise you have your mind set on working in a datacentre.

I would try and perhaps find an apprenticeship (to start with) and focus on getting a IT Job with a non-tech related company.

@raindog308 said:
    I suspect you'll make more as a sysadmin than a datacenter tech. Techs rack servers, check the temp, and call in outsiders to fix HVAC/UPS/etc. Senior ones might do some airflow analysis or something but it's really not server work, other than remote hands.

• sdglhm said: I'm currently working as a front end developer

I guess there's devops.

• Jacob said: Nah, there's hybrids.. Support Engineers.

On a more serious note, I wouldn't advise you have your mind set on working in a datacentre.

I would try and perhaps find an apprenticeship (to start with) and focus on getting a IT Job with a non-tech related company.

Shouldn't you be a sleep by now?

• @Jacob buddy

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Oliver said:
    Start in the gym. Lots of servers are pretty heavy!

• nowprovisionnowprovision Member
    edited February 2016

My opinionated suggestion would be to reconsider

Data center work is often physical, cold, and bureaucratic (great at 10am on saturday), it wont take you long to reach the boiling point with the paperwork.

Figure out why you aren't paid enough as a front-end dev, develop those skills , and leave DC work alone (although its nice to go peek, esp since people label in the most visible ways)