Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need advice about server location (Netherlands or Singapore)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need advice about server location (Netherlands or Singapore)

Hi all,
Most visitors of my website is in Pakistan. Should I choose my server in Netherlands or Singapore for best network performance ?

Comments

• It depends on several factors,

If budget is not an issue, you can go with Singapore(Leaseweb is one of the cheapest providers in SG).
    Netherlands would be cheaper comparatively, however the ping difference would be around 50ms.

From India, I get 80-100ish ms on Singapore servers and 150-190 on Netherlands servers.

Hope i helped,
    Good luck

Thanked by 1chrisfe
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited February 2016

This cannot be said, without clues. You have to test ping and traceroute from the servers to the different isp's in Pakistan. For example, my servers in France, NL and PL have different latency and speed to the four different major ISP's in Greece I live.
    But, if it is just some websites, then, latency would not be major issue as long as it is under 300ms. Also, the network capacity won't be issue either, except if you can gain thousands of simultaneously visitors, aka, several millions per month. But, then again, the issue would be at first, the single server and not it's network!

TL'DR You will not see significant difference in real life for applications like web or mail server. The issues arise when it comes to more "latency critical" apps like a game or voip server.

Thanked by 1chrisfe
  • Looking at the underwater cables around Pakistan and if your users are in Pakistan, try India (Mumbai) or UAE (Fujaira) and then Singapore (perhaps more stable). In Europe, I think maybe France (Online.net, ovh) could be better than Netherlands. Try to ping all places and choose the lowest ping.

Thanked by 1chrisfe
  • Here i have a blog post for you for web host selection, hope this may help you.
    http://blog.pnshostings.com/how-to-choose-a-web-host/

Thanked by 1chrisfe
  • Hi
    I am from pakistan...
    Unfortunately the France is the cheapest ...but for Singapore its DO...
    There is a new fiber optic cable being laid from pakistan to China....so also keep that in mind....

Thanked by 1chrisfe
  • vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep

@chrisfe put it under cloudflare . no matter where your server is

Thanked by 1chrisfe
  • @peixotorms said:
    Looking at the underwater cables around Pakistan and if your users are in Pakistan, try India (Mumbai) or UAE (Fujaira) and then Singapore (perhaps more stable). In Europe, I think maybe France (Online.net, ovh) could be better than Netherlands. Try to ping all places and choose the lowest ping.

That is the most funny thing I have ever read because people from Pakistan will get 500+ pings & worst possible download/upload speeds because there is no direct routing between those two countries. Also if he hosts his website in India most of the Pakistanis will choose to avoid it due to the reason being hosted in an enemy country of theirs.

@chrisfe your best option is Germany with DCs like ProviderService, myloc, Accelerated, even Hetzner might be a fine choice.

Thanked by 2chrisfe Junkless
  • IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

I'd say choose the closest dc to your users.

You can use traceroute command to check the routes.

If you don't know how to do that ask the provider a testing ip.

You can also check where populars sites in your country are hosted.

• peixotormspeixotorms Member
    edited February 2016

@kingcobs999 said:
    chrisfe your best option is Germany with DCs like ProviderService, myloc, Accelerated, even Hetzner might be a fine choice.

I'm sorry, but you don't know what you're saying...

While I agree that Pakistan and India are not in good terms, there is a direct connection via underwater cables (I-ME-WE, SEA-ME-WE) to Mumbai (hence my suggestion) where web hosting is cheaper and nearer. Reliability, I would trust more on the India than Pakistan...
    The OP just needs to find a datacenter in Mumbai, with a server connected to those cables. Ping from Karachi to Mumbai is around 50 ms.

There are only 4 underwater cables going out of Pakistan, with another one being planned to 2016.

Obviously both Pakistan and India are big, so depending on where you are in both countries, it can become longer than a ping to europe or usa.

Pakistan has a direct connection to Mumbai from at least 10 years ago: http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/46334.html
    http://pakwired.com/analyzing-pakistans-internet-architecture/

Having said that, if you're in Pakistan and want europe, you can ping both OVH, Hetzner and Leaseweb and choose the one with lowest ping.

You can also try to ping Seatle (Ramnode) or San Jose for an alternative.
    Some Pakistan users say games and stuff feel faster faster to USA West Coast than europe (I wonder).

For better stability for all users (including crapy routes by PTCL users), I would recommend some server in Europe (easier to find, more stable, more available), specially France where the cables land. Anyway, from France to Netherlands you will most probably get just a few (10-20) ms more, so just try and see.

Thanked by 1chrisfe
  • Netherlands is alright... I wouldn't do Singapore as the bandwidth is expensive.

• @LowEndAddiction said:
    Netherlands is alright... I wouldn't do Singapore as the ****bandwidth is expensive****.

Check Do, leaseweb, linode, dediserve :)

• U can choose India