Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linux Hyper-V VMs - increasing in size with 1 GB each 3 day - no data uploaded.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linux Hyper-V VMs - increasing in size with 1 GB each 3 day - no data uploaded.

myhkenmyhken Member
edited February 2016 in General

I have three CentOS VMs on a Hyper-V server.
Server 1 is using 20 GB,
Server 2 is using 5 GB,
Server 3 is using 5 GB (numbers from df -h and Virtualmin),

But the VM use lot more on disk. Today they take 91.3 GB of disk space. And thats increasing with around 1 GB each 3 day. (I take backups to my home server each three day, so I see the data increase and increase).

There is only some wordpress sites, no comments, no updates. The logfiles that I also pull from the servers each day takes around 300MB each.

Why do the disk space increase so much each day? I fear that they will grow really big, since each disk is on 200 GB.

Anything I can do, or do I have to recreate the servers with smaller disks?

I have tried to edit the disk, and decrease the diskspace, but it will not do that on my Linux servers.

Comments

• find / -size +200M -ls

• only file /var/log/messages is on around 600MB. Each day it gets copied to a folder, there I download the log files from. Will that create the increase? If so, It should increase 1.8 GB each day, and it's not.

• anybody?

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited February 2016

assuming you are talking about growing sparse diskimage files, are you?

as files are written and removed inside the VM (e.g. caches, sessions, tmps, logfiles) you may not even see a grow overall inside, but those image files will slowly increase in size.
    the filesystem inside will not neccessarily always overwrite already used (and deleted) blocks, but may use new blocks up to the whole size of the disk/partition, there is not much you can do about.

there are ways to overwrite the whole disk (free space) inside the VM with zeros and resparse the image files afterwards. too much work, as it is only a temporary solution and images will grow again afterwards. been there, done that. ;-)

If you did overcommit on your ressources, you probably need to create VMs with smaller partitions to make sure not running into trouble.
    yet you could give the VM something like 200GB disk, but partition only 30-50GB from it leaving the rest untouched as long as you don't really need it (but be able to grow your partition later).

Thanked by 1myhken