Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another WHMCS update
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Another WHMCS update

smansman Member
edited February 2016 in General

We probably spend more time upgrading WHMCS than anything else. They need to put more effort into simplifying the upgrade process somehow
http://docs.whmcs.com/Changelog:WHMCS_V6.2#Version_6.2.2

We just did an update last weekend. I think we are gonna wait at least another week on this one. Chances are there will be yet another update by then to fix all the problems from this update.

Thanked by 1GM2015

Comments

• @sman said:
    I think we are gonna wait at least another week on this one. Chances are there will be yet another update by then to fix all the problems from this update.

But one week from now, chances are there will be another update in another week to fix all the problems from that update!

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • they should stop adding new things ( breaking old things )

• This is the emojis update, already beat this horse, it's dead jim!

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

They have one of the worst ways to do updates, ever. Annoying pop-up in admin area at the center of the screen, check. Clicking update takes you to a blog post, then you go to another page, having to manually download the proper files in patch sets or all files off their site. Then going through the install if you didn't do patch sets. Then checking every file that's updated to ensure it doesn't overwrite any of your customization.

WHMCS 5 to 6 was a nightmare and left us with an extremely large database that broke their built-in backup feature.

I guess the plus side is they're actually fixing things?

I'm still waiting for them to fix the main page affiliate program information and a bunch of other things. Every time something's brought up to their team they act like it's a built-in feature and working as intended. They told me to edit out the coding if I don't want it.

Is it really hard to think "hmm, maybe once the commission balance goes above the minimum amount, we should take out the portion that counts down how much more is required before a withdrawal."

Then other things like them having lackluster useless reports in some areas and instead of just adding a uniform option to sort reports by date, etc, they link you to a page to code your own reports.

Or their Android app always timing out and instead of clicking "reload" you have to close out and relaunch.

/rant

Thanked by 1VyprNetworks
  • Doesn't WHMCS 6 have a built-in update option?

• sman said: We probably spend more time upgrading WHMCS than anything else. They need to put more effort into simplifying the upgrade process somehow http://docs.whmcs.com/Changelog:WHMCS_V6.2#Version_6.2.2

We just did an update last weekend. I think we are gonna wait at least another week on this one. Chances are there will be yet another update by then to fix all the problems from this update.

Yes, please give us one click/automated upgrades. I'm tired of updating it so often.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@mpkossen said:
    Doesn't WHMCS 6 have a built-in update option?

No they just want people spend all days and weeks keep updating!

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • @key900 said:

This warrants a real face-palm.

WHMCS: please start focusing on adding customer value rather than features you think are important!

Hey, there's an idea for a blog post...

/me is off writing

• I think its time to just switch to blesta and be done with this. Every time you turn your back another update comes out literally screwing up everything you have worked hard on so your forced to not update. Then every time you open your WHMCS you get a pop up telling you to update just cant be more agitating. Seems like every update leaves more broken than fixed.

• Try HostBill and you will know how epic can be upgrades. New feature = more bugs. Whmcs is perfect the number one. Blesta? Unfinished, crappy only-for-devs control panel.

Thanked by 1NexHost
  • ktkt Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2016

A update system would be nice, but this update doesn't have any template changes and you just overwrite exisiting files using the incremental version. It takes a few mins.

It is worrying though to see WHMCS updates always have a ton of new bugs being fixed every update, seems like there is no real QA testing.

• smansman Member
    edited February 2016

@Zeniva said:
    A update system would be nice, but this update doesn't have any template changes and you just overwrite exisiting files using the incremental version. It takes a few mins.

It is worrying though to see WHMCS updates always have a ton of new bugs being fixed every update, seems like there is no real QA testing.

It takes a lot more than a few minutes unless you like to live dangerously or just don't care about your billing system. That billing system is central to our entire business.

We never do updates without complete backups of the database and all the files. Then we have to go through and check all the changes. Rename admin folder, check for overwrites. Now with the cron jobs outside of webfolder we have to check those and replace. It's a lot more than a few minutes and we only do it on weekends.

• ktkt Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2016

sman said: It takes a lot more than a few minutes unless you like to live dangerously or just don't care about your billing system. That billing system is central to our entire business.

We never do updates without complete backups of the database and all the files. Then we have to go through and check all the changes. Rename admin folder, check for overwrites. Now with the cron jobs outside of webfolder we have to check those and replace. It's a lot more than a few minutes and we only do it on weekends.

All of those things you would do with any other platform, so it's no different to WHMCS. Most of those things you mentioned do take a minute or two max, assuming you already have regular <30m backups being taken already.

It takes few seconds to move a folder out and rename the admin folder before uploading it. Few minutes max to check through folders to see if any custom files are being replaced. The only other part which may take slightly longer is to do some testing yourself after updating.

We take a week or two between updates being released already and that would be for most things except security patches and has been the case since v5 really due to the amount of "new bugs" on every update.

• smansman Member
    edited February 2016

@Zeniva said:

It takes few seconds to move a folder out and rename the admin folder before uploading it. Few minutes max to check through folders to see if any custom files are being replaced. The only other part which may take slightly longer is to do some testing yourself after updating.

Yawn.

• Everytime there is an Update.. I get more worried...( Infact its like a Nightmare ) ... than being even 1% happy... !