Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Harddisk Reliability of kimsufi mKS 2G
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Harddisk Reliability of kimsufi mKS 2G

kampungkampung Member
edited November 2012 in General

Hi,
Sorry if this is silly/stupid question, mKS 2G is my first dedi.

When using VPS, i always looking for RAID10 HDD for better reliability. And i always make a backup of my data.
I also noticed some provider (sometimes) give notice that they replace their bad HD.

In mKS 2G case, it is not RAID HDD, it has 500GB which make it impossible (for me) to backup all the data.

Can someone give some tips regarding this?

• backup only important data. (yes, i know this).
  • any sign of bad harddisk?
  • any possibility that kimsufi give bad(near-to-crash) HDD when i make new order?
  • avoid torrent? -> torrent is harsh to HD
  • etc..???

Thanks

Comments

• @kampung said: any sign of bad harddisk?

Read the smart data often.

• Some kind of cloud storage service, like something from Amazon, or some of these providers with extra 500gb - 1TB of space will give you a great deal on making backups every few days or minimum weekly, depends on how valuable your data is.

• My mKS have been getting literally new drives, with <10h runtime..

• @Corey said: Read the smart data often.

Thanks
    Can you explain more?

• @justinb said: with <10h runtime.

How do you know?

• You should get the same amount of life out of the hard drives as you would with your computer at home if you ran it 24/7. If it isn't a bad drive it should last many years.

When the hard drive starts to fail you might see certain files go corrupt, and a drop in performance.

• @kampung said: @Corey said: Read the smart data often.

Thanks

Can you explain more?

Smartctl - there are certain things in there that will tell you when the drive is failing - like 'reallocated sectors'... 'failed test'

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

My experience is that OVH really values new drives. With their volume, I would think it would cost them more to be replacing disks twice as often than to just put new ones in everything.

• SpencerSpencer Member
    edited November 2012

This is an official OVH video!

• @jarland said: My experience is that OVH really values new drives. With their volume, I would think it would cost them more to be replacing disks twice as often than to just put new ones in everything.

Even with new drives.. can still have something happen :)

• @kampung said: - avoid torrent? -> torrent is harsh to HD

I have no experience with this, but would it be better if torrents D/L'd to RAM then wrote the entire file to disk when it's done?

• @SimpleNode said: I have no experience with this, but would it be better if torrents D/L'd to RAM then wrote the entire file to disk when it's done?

It already does cache/buffer to RAM.

• @kampung said: In mKS 2G case, it is not RAID HDD, it has 500GB which make it impossible (for me) to backup all the data.

Backup it to external HDD or buy another kimsufi.

• A brand new drive could fail too. Usually if a HDD doesn't fail in the first month - it will live.
    To the OP - you can always get a second kimsufi if you want, and do an rsync to it on a daily basis.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Higher models have 2 drives, installations seem to default to RAID1.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2012

With kimsufi you can order an addon of USB-attached 2TB disk, it will cost 30EUR setup + 10 EUR/mo.

• Will kimsufi be good for production web server, of low traffic website? I mean, would uptime and network reliability be good?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@jcaleb of course.

• thanks @rm_