Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian and dhcpcd - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian and dhcpcd

2»

Comments

• No, I mean, you are using Firefox with the .tar.gz from their page. So, just install any browser to get the java plugin, then continue using your firefox.

• Bit late but Google provides .debs for Chrome from their own repo.

• I'd rather not use Chrome. Most of my hosting clients use Firefox because I do. If I was to change, they're going to want to change and that'll just start the support flood on doing so.

• Yes, Chrome have their own repos n_n

But we need any browser form the dependencies list, just to install the freaking java plugin.

• kylixkylix Member
    edited November 2011

@drmike: Iceweasel is Firefox. You just need to install it using Synaptic Package Manager. It will handle most dependencies. Then install the Java and Flash packages as cited on the webpage and you have a running Iceweasel/Firefox. Firefox had just to be renamed to Iceweasel on Debian because of licensing issues.

See: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/10/msg00665.html

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Corporation_software_rebranded_by_the_Debian_project

See: http://www.geticeweasel.org/useragent/

See: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=399633#102

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited November 2011

Let me ask this. Would a different OS work better? This is for the asus eee pc netbook so there has to be drivers for it.

To be honest, I just installed Debian because I'm vaguely familiar with it from using it on the VPS(es) but now that I've done the "download the iso/dd it to a thumb drive" a half dozen times, I think I can handle something different.

• @drmike I did have a look - some time ago - at wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/
    and I remember finding many interesting things....

• @TigersWay Yes I'm familiar with that link.

• Yeah MacOS runs cool in these little things.

• Would be nice to get some mac experience. I have those xserve's but they're just file servers. Last real mac I had was a borrowed apple 2e. :)

• You should install OpenSUSE! It's better than some of the alternatives imo.

• Suse is bloatware :(
    At least the default install.

• @yomero said: Suse is bloatware :(

At least the default install.

Hm, how so? It comes with LibreOffice, Firefox, and then the basic KDE apps.

• Bloated for me

• KDE is not recommended for the eee pc. Seems like all of the tutorials are for lxke which seems to work sort of fine. Lots of messed up links though in the menu.

Granted though I'm still looking for a Sudoku game for it....

• Not recommended, or have you given it a try? KDE4 runs without issue on my netbook, and I don't see the EEEs being of significantly lower spec.

• I went straight to lxke as what I read suggested doing so. When it was using the out of the box OS, just opening firefox maxed out both processor and memory. 2 terminals and firefox running is using 376k of 500k memory used and a load of about .20ish. That never happened previously.

• That's... weird. True, I disable the fancy visual effects for KDE4 on my netbook, but with those off it runs like a champ. KDE3 also hauls really well. -shrug-

I actually haven't tried lxke.. if I get bored this weekend I may try that out. I'm still kinda burned from the Honeycomb letdown, eager to play with something new.

• @Aldryic said: That's... weird. True, I disable the fancy visual effects for KDE4 on my netbook, but with those off it runs like a champ. KDE3 also hauls really well. -shrug-

I actually haven't tried lxke.. if I get bored this weekend I may try that out. I'm still kinda burned from the Honeycomb letdown, eager to play with something new.

The ICS source is available now, and I think they just released the x86 branch as well if that's what you're interested in.

• WinXP is looking good again.