Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chicago VPS Provider Recommendation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Chicago VPS Provider Recommendation

pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
edited November 2012 in General

Looking for recommendation from the community for a VPS provider in Chicago.

Should be LEB type friendly pricing.

Other than that, the rules are no providers using:
Steadfast
FDCServers
Colocrossing

Speeds should be 100Mbps or gigabit preferred.

Anyone have a company worth considering?

Comments

• yeah we are out of colostore which is indiana but considered chicago metro cause of the backlink.

• Were you having problems with Colocrossing's network?

• [offtopic] @pubcrawler Just for curiosity , can i ask why you are opting out Steadfast ?

• @Damian,

Colocrossing's network is fairly good lately. I am not dissatisfied per se. Just way too much dependency on it. Both in my business as well as with providers here.

For instance in case of failure of their network, I'd lose 2 front end VPS nodes and one storage solution. I can do that, but, only for non production types of things (i.e personal projects and development).

• @pubcrawler you want a temp vps to test out? do some testing on?

• @gameon, I have Steadfast solutions already and have been a tad underwhelmed at times with the network from other locations in the US.

• We have a Chicago location if you're interested?

• @24khost, that would great. Feel free to PM me.

• @pubcrawler will do should have a pm with your information in a few minutes.

• @Ishaq, PM me details of your Chicago location (datacenter, IP to test).

• @pubcrawler play away.

• @kamalnasser again that is colocrossing again though. And he said he didn't want that.

• @24khost said: @kamalnasser again that is colocrossing again though. And he said he didn't want that.

Oh, misread the rules

• SpotVPS $15 year 128/256mb package in Chicago. I had mine a year and it worked great.

• @pubcrawler said: I have Steadfast solutions already and have been a tad underwhelmed at times with the network from other locations in the US.

Was this a provider that actually used Steadfast's network or one that colocates inside steadfast and uses their own network?

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited November 2012

@JoeMerit,

That's a real good question. Hard to say and been a while.

I just throw certain networks, upstreams, etc. on timeouts when seeing consistent things I don't like. Some facilities I permanently won't touch (FDC and Burst).

Problems for me typically are, outages, network blips, latency and crappy routes to our other main servers. The crappy routes are the most common issue followed by latency, blips and outages. Outages get all the coverage, blips are mostly unseen and latency and routes most folks seem to be blissfully unaware of.

Feel free to PM me if someone you know has VPS nodes in Steadfast and we'll consider them in the future.

• We use Steadfast's network and quite honestly has been one of the best networks I've ever experienced. I believe your issue is isolated and should probably give them another shot.

Good luck either way.

• @BigScoots, see you are in Steadfast. Will keep you on future list.

Dig your website. Crazy cool design there.

• We have VPS nodes in Chicago using Swiftway's network out of 350 Cermak. We have been very pleased with their network.

• Hi Pub we have one node in Chicago would you be interested? It is out of continuum.

• @DeanClinton is in the market for a 2GB plan at in Chicago at similar rate to CVPS.

Providers in greater Chicago-land area should see the moving trucks now. :)

• @CNJeremy, PM me details on your company (website, Chicago IP, speedtest file).

• @Corey, iffy on Continuum. Need to look at how their network has reshaped.

Went through some outages and issues with their network in years past.

• @pubcrawler said: @Corey, iffy on Continuum. Need to look at how their network has reshaped.

Went through some outages and issues with their network in years past.

They had issues at the beginning of this year I believe - but it has been rock solid since they got everything under control. We've never been down for more than a few minutes because of them, and packet loss didn't last very long.

• @pubcrawler I can't match CVPS price.

• Oh @24khost, no need to match their price. If I wanted a VPS with 2 fake gigs of RAM and that was down lots and reboots regularly .... you get the idea. I'd jump on another offer on the same network there that looks and sounds like them.

Price is only one component I look at. I don't require 2GB of RAM anyway :)

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

There is no real reason to leave us. I will not deny that the situation the past week was anything short of horrific, but realize things do happen sometimes that are out of our control.

Since opening, this was the first "really bad" incident and I do not intend on it happening ever again. I have just ordered parts to build a pretty beefy backup server which I will now be providing free of charge and will take frequent backups.

Most of you can agree everyone was happy with the product we sell up until the unfortunate ones lost their data.

This has impacted us, but will not kill us. We still strive in providing excellence and will continue doing so.

The point being, there is no reason to not trust ChicagoVPS anymore. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM me.

• What specs do you need so I can send you a quote.