Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian VS CentOS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian VS CentOS

Comments

• @thekreek said: @LivingSouL good luck with that one, ever since I got my vps with 123Systems I asked for a Debian 6 template, and it took them almost a year to bring it. According to their support they only use SolusVM provided templates, so no custom templates for us.

One time I received a VPS with Debian 6. But for some reason I reinstall again when I receive my boxes. But no Debian 6. And then I asked about reinstalling it, and got KICKED because suppossedly they don't have Debian 6 available... LOL?

• Out of the box, CentOS seems to be more recourse hungry,

Also, Debian seems to have a neater file system structure, as well as apt-get uses less recourses.

And Debian seems more stable

• @Joel said: 123Systems is complete junk.

I agree. My ipatables script doesn't even work on theirs and that script works well on my other VPSs.

@yomero said: got KICKED because suppossedly they don't have Debian 6 available... LOL?

ROFL really? I won't recommend 123Systems as well 'cause their ISOs are outdated..

• @kiloserve said: Debian dominates the desktops and probably alot of non-webhosting servers

Should I be concerned since that's what I use on the VPSes and they are hosting sites?

• @Daniel said: Out of the box, CentOS seems to be more recourse hungry,

Also, Debian seems to have a neater file system structure, as well as apt-get uses less recourses.

And Debian seems more stable

I agree with all of these.. But I think CentOS is stable as any other linux OSs out there... :)

• Personal preference is a major factor. Not being able to 'ls -ahl --group-directories-first' killed any desire for me to use CentOS quite some time ago.

Of course, having used Debian for 17+ years also plays a large part in that preference.

• @livingsoul

can u sugget a best vps provider....

@luis123456
    how can i tweak the centos to 12mb?

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited November 2011

@LivingSouL said: ROFL really? I won't recommend 123Systems as well 'cause their ISOs are outdated..

Well, by kicked I mean, they rejected my requests because I am an useless client XD

And again, debian distros FTW

• @yomero said: Well, by kicked I mean, they rejected my requests because I am an useless client XD

Oh, make no mistake, every client is valuable for them (in order to struggle to get their bills paid). My guess would be they rejected your requests out of either laziness or incompetence (in that Andrew likely doesn't know -how- to offer additional ISOs).

• @Basil said: Personally I think a sizable number of young(er) people started out with Ubuntu and just want to stick with something similar.

At the same time few years ago, rpm was crap, there was no yum and apt-get was so nice to use - so there are also people who started a few years ago using redhat/whatever, who went to debian as it was working great + had a great social contract / non commercial commitment to free software and stayed to that :D

• LongShotLongShot Member
    edited November 2011

@Joel: 123Systems is complete junk. I have an account there, been waiting 5+ months for Debian6.

I've upgraded from Lenny to Squeeze successfully on more than one VPS (including 123Systems):

1. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list
    2. Change "lenny" to "squeeze" and save.
    3. apt-get update
    4. apt-get dist-upgrade
  • @drmike said: Should I be concerned since that's what I use on the VPSes and they are hosting sites?

No. Here's some more statistics to add to Linode link earlier in this thread.

Though as long as you get security support and are happy with system, why would you care what others use?

• @jtodd said: I won't use anything except CentOS unless I really have to.

Same here.

• WhizzWrWhizzWr Member
    edited November 2011

Currently running both CentOS 6 and Ubuntu Server 11.10 (Debian based)

IMO CentOS is more tailored to be a server distro thus many server mgmtn tools are working out of the box. It is also widely supported as VPS distro, having somewhat a lot of scripts, programs (i.e CPanel), and tuts mostly made to work on CentOS

With Ubuntu, you'll need some more apt-get and a little hack. But that's all.

Both
    YMMW.

• I hear it's better to go w/ Scientific Linux rather than CentOS

• It's just matter of personal preference. I was always more Debian guy and I use it as personal preference since woody which means almost 10 years. I don't use other distributions unless I really have to (i.e. CentOS/cPanel).

• @LongShot said: I've upgraded from Lenny to Squeeze successfully on more than one VPS (including 123Systems):

OpenVZ or Xen? Is it possible on OpenVZ?

• It's possible on any platform. Just change your repos and do a dist-upgrade.

• @Aldryic Upgrading on CentOS to a major revision usually breaks it, and CentOS even say you shouldn't

Debian/Ubuntu have clear upgrade paths

• I wasn't aware CentOS had a dist-upgrade, to be perfectly honest. I only have maybe two hours' time on that distro.

But as the question was concerning Debian, I didn't feel the need to clarify there :P

• LongShotLongShot Member
    edited November 2011

@Daniel: Debian/Ubuntu have clear upgrade paths

You can also make Debian into a "rolling release" distro that will periodically implement either (1) updates approved for the next planned release (replace "squeeze" with "testing"), or (2) the latest packages in the Debian repository (replace "squeeze" with "unstable"). Note, however, that the resulting installation may not be completely stable - and may not even run on your VPS. Use at your own risk!

I've had success with the "testing" but have steered clear of "unstable."

• I believe Debian unstable is called 'Ubuntu' <_<

• @Aldryic: I believe Debian unstable is called 'Ubuntu' <_<

LOL! Another Debian purist. I've also heard that Ubuntu is Swahili for "unable to install Debian."

Actually, I have to admit I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS ("Long Term Support") on my laptop. Not that bad. Looks like they actually got the kinks worked out 18 months after its release.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • Purist? Maybe...maybe. 17 years of use tends to build a bias :P

• @Aldryic said: I believe Debian unstable is called 'Ubuntu' <_<

Ubuntu is a bit.. pointless for servers. Unless your using it in Canonicals enterprise solutions, which actually are quite cool.

Unity-2D (3D is a bit waste on recourses), is actually really nice, and is nicer to look at then Windows, as well as OS X.

• @LongShot said: I've had success with the "testing" but have steered clear of "unstable."

Actually, debian unstable might be more stable than testing. experimental is the one you want to stay away from.

unstable is more updated than testing so when there is a but it will be fixed right away

Anyway, testing is great :)

cat /etc/apt/preferences
    Package: *
    Pin: release a=testing
    Pin-Priority: 900

• Another great Debian resource are "backport" packages. These are later versions that can be installed without updating any library dependencies, i.e., the rest of the stable installation remains unchanged. You can learn more at:

http://backports-master.debian.org

Mmmm, Debian! What can't it do?

• Just run Arch, then you won't have to worry about it.

• @LongShot said: I've also heard that Ubuntu is Swahili for "unable to install Debian.

HAHAHA WHAT! :D

• @Kairus said: Just run Arch, then you won't have to worry about it.

The problem with 123Systems is that, their Arch ISO is 2010 and the kernel is too old and you can't upgrade kernels on OpenVZ right?