Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Chicago Only] **Black Friday** 2GB 4.99/mo - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Chicago Only] **Black Friday** 2GB 4.99/mo

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2012

@Kris said: http://tunnelbroker.net/ - Free IPv6 tunnels with a /64 assigned, /48 on request. Many locations as well. May take an hour or so for an admin to setup, but makes any location IPv6 capable. Once the /64 is routed on the server, you can generate & assign IPs from SolusVM.

And then have everyone point and laugh at you, how your IPv6 is not real, it's only a tunnel and how awful of a person you are, trying to pass that "crap" for the real deal.

Seriously, that's an immensely horrible advice to give to a provider. If a client wants tunneled IPv6, they can set up their own tunnel inside their VPS (the provider simply needs to ensure TUN/TAP support works). But no need to force a HE.net tunnel automatically onto all clients.

• @wdp - benchmarks!

• @black its 4 core fair share E3s Benchmarks are overrated :-P

• My goal today is to have to call up the DC and order another NODE. LETS GO PEOPLE EAT THIS OFFER!!!!!

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@rm_ Something is better than nothing

• I'll hold off and wait for some benchmarks and general input from customers.

• @Fliphost, I'd have to agree with you, yeah its not native ipv6 but if you want ipv6 it works.

• I might set this up on my pc since i dont have ipv6 with my isp yet =P

• KrisKris Member
    edited November 2012

@rm_ said: And then have everyone point and laugh at you, how your IPv6 is not real, it's only a tunnel and how awful of a person you are, trying to pass that "crap" for the real deal.

Seriously, that's an immensely horrible advice to give to a provider. If a client wants tunneled IPv6, they can set up their own tunnel inside their VPS (the provider simply needs to ensure TUN/TAP support works). But no need to force a HE.net tunnel automatically onto all clients.

"Force it on to clients" ? She has a data center without IPv6 native. Tunnelbroker can offer IPv6 at 10+ locations with maybe 10ms overhead. So remind me the problem with this? No IPv6 vs IPv6.

1) To enable a Tunnel on OpenVZ, unless your ASN is advertising it, you can't set it up in the container. Most don't understand this, it's actually mentioned at the bottom of the thread I previously linked on Tunnel broker. Has to be done on the host-node.

2) So a IPv6 tunnel with maybe 5-10 ms of overhead and offering IPv6 at a data center that wouldn't otherwise have it is "crap" ? I've seen better routes and ping times over HE.net with a tunnel at OVH then going over IPv4.

3) These are machines without native IPv6 at the data center. I suggested how a provider would add IPv6 to these machines without waiting a year for the data center. If a client doesn't want IPv6, who's to say they're "forced" to have it?

I know many providers who utilize HE tunneling, many behind their ASN. What's the problem with enabling it on a machine and having it tunnel to a fast nearby HE.net tunnel, and offering IPv6 instead of none?

May get a few like you, but otherwise, it's IPv6 connectivity, and very little overhead.

• LAKidLAKid Member
    edited November 2012

I always laugh at people asking ip6, what is it for?
    99% of the people don't know how to use it and don't use it now.
    what do you do with it. eat ?

• UGVPSUGVPS Member
    edited November 2012

@LAKid I laugh when people are like can i have a /96 /64 /something stupid...

My reply... "You're on a 3 dollar VPS, ill assign 10." heh

• @Kris said:

1) To enable a Tunnel on OpenVZ, unless your ASN is advertising it, you can't set it up in the container. Most newbies don't understand this, it's actually mentioned at the bottom of the thread I previously linked on Tunnel broker. Has to be done on the host-node.

No. Assuming TUN/TAP is enabled, then you should be able to set up a HE tunnel using tb-tun or ustun inside the container.

• Congrats Crystal.

Any benchmarks?

• @UGVPS exactly..:)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2012

@UGVPS said: can i have a /96 /64 /something stupid...

A /64 is not stupid, it's the only way to have a SLAAC autoconfigured VPN on IPv6.
    You don't laugh at people running VPNs, do you.
    Also for example I have a /48 on a 2 EUR VPS and use this as my own personal "tunnelbroker.net" just for me, to get v6 access where I otherwise wouldn't have it.

@Kris said: Tunnelbroker can offer IPv6 at 10+ locations with maybe 10ms overhead. So remind me the problem with this?

I can understand the merits of your POV, but I'd still say tunneled v6 can:
    1) reflect badly on the provider; besides the "not the real thing" objection, basing your whole v6 connectivity for your PAYING CUSTOMERS upon some other unrelated company's FREE SERVICE does not look professional at all;
    2) cause connectivity issues; a third party tunnel server is one more point of failure, besides, ask around how's HE.net reliability on some of the tservs, the answer may surprise you not in a good way;
    3) harm demand for native IPv6; a tunnel being perceived by many as "good enough" could cause the provider to stop persuading the DC to offer native v6.

@Kris said: 1) To enable a Tunnel on OpenVZ ...you can't set it up in the container.

Yes you can: http://code.google.com/p/tb-tun/

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012

@Kris this was discussed so many times before at LEB/LET. Why inventing hot water? When people ask host if there's IPv6 they usually ask for native IPv6 not HE tunneled which everyone can set up and use by himself anyway. And as you suggested HE/tunnelbroker who block some services you should suggest also Sage certification program in order to be able to use HE tunneled IPv6 without some basic limitations. And even if UGVPS get Sage cert (which shouldn't be too hard) there will be still issues for some IPv6 tunnel users like:

-!- Please wait while we process your connection.

-!- You (*@2001:470:0:0:0:0:0:0/32) are banned from this server: All he.net tunnels klined - too many abuses
    -!- ERROR Closing Link: Spirit[unknown@2001:470:d6a2:0:0:0:0:0] (K-lined: All he.net tunnels klined - too many abuses

• @rm_ Seems ustun was forked and lives on here: https://github.com/rejsmont/ustun

• I'm getting about 50MB/s on the disk and great network speeds. I got 7MB/s when downloading a file. I'm running ServerBear right now.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited November 2012

@UGVPS said: My reply... "You're on a 3 dollar VPS, ill assign 10." heh

My $1.50 VPS with StyleXNetworks gives me a /64.

There is no shortage of IPv6 space.

• IPv6 addresses are abundant and silly.

BuyVM gives you 16 IPv6 addresses per subscription.

• Is it 100Mbps to the node?

• The node is 100mbps its unmetered data fair share. I'm not stacking 200 VPSes on a server so you should all be fine :)

• @wdq said: I'm running ServerBear right now.

Saw a few fails right after one another, shoot me a PM if you want to troubleshoot. Looks like multiples run at the same time maybe?

• Yeah i think alot of you ran it at the same time because i saw hd speeds TANK and then they went back to 80s That and solus emailed me about cpu loads ;)

@serverbear i think what im going to do is spawn a container on there and run it at a random time tonight so we can get an accurate rating.

• I should be able to edit the original post and ill put the serverbear url in there :)

• Nice deal. I might get one of these later on, looks solid. :)

• @serverbear I'm not sure why it failed. I'll try again tomorrow.

• So no one successfully got a benchmark out of this offer?

That's funny.

I need to start a VPS company with the woman in charge marketing. :) Seems to lure the nerds here.

• @wdq just ran one successfully, I'll let him post it :)

• Is it good? average? excellent?