Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'VPS Is dead'
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

'VPS Is dead'

Comments

• Well...

If someone can explain with human language WTF is a "cloud infraestructure"...

• @yomero said: If someone can explain with human language WTF is a "cloud infraestructure"...

basicaly its xen what enables providers to rip the customer off.

• All the Paraells products I have ever used have been crap.

• @net said: All the Paraells products I have ever used have been crap.

Plesk 10.4 is okay i use it on a few servers

• @DanielM said: Plesk 10.4 is okay i use it on a few servers

I meant more like their desktop/server virtualisation products.

• @net said: I meant more like their desktop/server virtualisation products.

ahh in that case i agree :)

• bretonbreton Member
    edited November 2011

Cloud Infrastructure is quickly becoming the new standard and growth engine for delivering Infrastructure services to SMBs replacing traditional VPS.

No it doesn't

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited November 2011

Replace the word "cloud" with web on any text you see, and it instantly makes sense!!

I wonder why, because your actually changing it to what it is

Cloud Storage => Web Storage
    Cloud VPS => Web VPS
    Cloud Servers => Web Servers
    Cloud Hosting => Web Hosting

I have reversed engineer the awful market stratergy used by some host.

I think we should ban the word cloud from any Internet activity, people actually believe cloud is something different

Microsoft offer 50 different products under the word cloud

• Cloud, What everyone thinks it means is a cluster of servers basicly redundant.
    If one server drops another falls In place with the uptime not affected, This is the real definition but not all clouds are setup like this.

• @EaseVPS said: If one server drops another falls In place with the uptime not affected, This is the real definition but not all clouds are setup like this.

This is called HA

• Cloud is an otherwise empty space filled with water vapour :) Or with marketing vapour.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited November 2011

@DanielM

That is the actual marketing term of what a cloud is defined as though, People see it as paying $10 / $20 extra per month for a overpriced "Cloud" VPS will get you better uptime,performance,etc.. None of this is true. It's all marketing tactics.

@rds100

Wikipedia is a very good website. :)

edited November 2011

@EaseVPS said: If one server drops another falls In place with the uptime not affected, This is the real definition but not all clouds are setup like this.

Im pretty sure if a lazy engineer spilled coffee over the storage servers, or tripped over the power cables for the DC, I can pretty much assure your VPS isn't going to be online. Even if its "Cloud"

People say Cloud is the future, so what happens if everyone is using "Cloud", will "Mars" become the new marketing term?

• Why exactly would power cables be on the ground, and what datacentre would allow people into the server rooms with liquids? :P

True cloud probably is the way forward. Dynamically expanding clusters, redundancy etc. Right now datacentres are so wasteful, especially in terms of power usage. 99% of the use of the word "Cloud" is marketing bollocks right now though.

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited November 2011

@Daniel said: Replace the word "cloud" with web on any text you see, and it instantly makes sense!!

I wonder why, because your actually changing it to what it is
    Cloud Storage => Web Storage
    Cloud VPS => Web VPS
    Cloud Servers => Web Servers
    Cloud Hosting => Web Hosting
    I have reversed engineer the awful market stratergy used by some host.
    I think we should ban the word cloud from any Internet activity, people actually believe cloud is something different
    Microsoft offer 50 different products under the word cloud

I guess you are right! I came to a conclusion that all VPS are cloud!! Obviously what some VPS providers where coming with is just playing with words to make it more attractive to clients :)

• @Go59954 said: words to make it more attractive to clients!

and more expensive....

• edited November 2011

vps.net is the worse culprit. Absolutely terrible servers and network they class themselves as 'cloud' they are just oversold crap servers. In reality thier 1gb vps should be sold for like £10-15 not £40.

edited November 2011

The Critism of Cloud Computing section on Wikipedia, which highlighted where the CEO of Oracle and Richard Stallman had basically just said that its just a buzz word, and critised it.

Well, its been removed off the Wikipedia entry by this guy, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:SamJohnston who from a little research appears to work at Equinix and enjoys using the buzzword.

So theres bias and lying in Wikipedia, and obvious example.

• @Daniel said: So theres bias and lying in Wikipedia

I'm sorry, but did you ever actually believe that Wikipedia was a credible source of knowledge?

• To me, a "cloud" meets the following requirements:

• Pay by the hour
    • Can dynamically expand virtual machines RAM and CPU allotment
    • Has an API for starting/stopping VMs as needed

If it doesn't have all of those (and I'm probably forgetting some requirement), it's not a cloud, plain and simple. It's not a "buzz word" - cloud computing is a pretty clearly defined thing (at least in my mind) and companies are straight up lying to people when they call their simple unmanaged VPS offerings "cloud servers".

• I would add hot-swappable hardware to the list (at least my view on what a cloud service is).

• Cloud

Period.

• @Daniel said: Replace the word "cloud" with web on any text you see

Wait a minute. Isn't "Web" a marketing term as well?!

You know, the that word comes from World-Wide-Web, which was originally just a term to describe decentralised documents encoded in hyper text markup language that link to each other with URLs, and transmitted over the TCP/IP layer using protocol described in RFC2616?

edited November 2011

@aldryic For some things (eg Geology) yes. But otherwise it just seems all bias and pro-commercial.

@NickM But according to Microsoft, Cloud Computing is also editing a photo

@lowendtalk Yeh, i realise the world wide web just refers to the http/ftp etc stack, But it's so muddled up now-a-days due to the media. But at least it isn't muddling it up with water vapour

Also, I realised my formula dosent work on Cloud VPS, but it still made some sort of sense

Most "Cloud" services are managed via a web interface,

• And before everybody used the word "cloud" it was "grid", I remenber testing the gs plan from MediaTemple, Dreamhost at the time was much faster and stable than them :( ugly fact from those days.

• There are whole of infra design behind a real cloud service. Your data, network and redundancy, seemless access must all be in place. Arrays of network storage servers, multi redundancy network, CPU power, etc.

I went to a couple of cloud related seminar, one of the significant one is from Dell. They represent their cloud solution from hardware to software integration within a datacenter. Things like Equalogic storage servers where you can build arrays of SAN, move from one to another without the downtime, load balance I/O, management of servers using VMWares realtime, moving from on hardware to another without downtimes, etc. They also showcase their four10 network switches and routers with recommended network design optimized for cloud solution called VLT.

• @DotVPS said: I don't even see why "Cloud servers" are more than other VPS's. in my experience most providers are just giving out a XEN VPS with a custom panel in the billing area which allows " Instant upgrades" To be honest i think its a bit of a sales scam.

Because the majority of customers don't have a clue. They see cloud and they're instantly attracted to it. Of course the few providers that do have a real cloud set up are probably worth the money (if that's what you need).

• @Kairus said: Because the majority of customers don't have a clue. They see cloud and they're instantly attracted to it. Of course the few providers that do have a real cloud set up are probably worth the money (if that's what you need).

There's no way to have a real cloud setup, we haven't been able to store data in electromagnetic currents in the clouds yet.

Even if we were able to, the UK would be raining data all day, not cool!

• Everyone has his/her own interpretation of what a cloud is. Many hosts see it as a High Availability platform with SAN or clustered storage. In this case the cloud is a combination of many buzzwords from the last couple of years. Is it completely new: no. Could you name it a marketing term: yes, but does it mean that this is a bad thing?

Some say what @NickM mentioned. It is only a cloud when you pay by the hour. Often they combine this with the fact it should be available on multiple locations and countries. Is this new? No, it is also a combination of old and recent developments.

• I see it as a way for providers to ripoff potential customers ( You yourself are guilty of this Rens charging excess pricing for SLA)