Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I’m Going to Tell You About Web Hosting - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I’m Going to Tell You About Web Hosting

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jarland said: That's what I said, as I declined a phone meeting with their CEO while driving down to tour the HostGator office ;)

But dude, you could have a cool title like Lead System Architect!

http://www.v-nessa.net/about-me

She may be bagging on InMotion because she owns two competitors...

Thanked by 1jar

...though this site of hers is rather funny. Ah, what was the LET hosting parody site? HostBluff or something? In a similar vein:

http://emotionalhosting.com

• She likes disclaimers though.

This website is not affiliated with or representative of the employers of its creators.

raindog308 said: ...though this site of hers is rather funny. Ah, what was the LET hosting parody site? HostBluff or something? In a similar vein:

Thanked by 1netomx
  • doughmanes said: Skimmed through most of it after the "I'm a geek girl111!!!" and flaunting herself on the header

She's pretty much undoing what #womenincomputing has done and aimed to do. Disgusting. She deserve zero credibility.

jarland said: The "100GB of shopping cart pics" links to a website called Cartsnap that is hosted on InMotion. So while this might be a nice rant on the face of it, she ends up directly calling out an InMotion customer in an informal setting, in public, without provocation.

There we go, that's bloody unprofessional. Seems convincing that she's the new age of "internet slut".

• @GIANT_CRAB said:
    There we go, that's bloody unprofessional. Seems convincing that she's the new age of "internet slut".

....what. How did you get this "internet slut" conclusion from somebody who's being plain unprofessional, regardless of gender?

Aside from the header - because it is her own personal blog - the entire post was gender neutral. Can we please keep the criticism that way as well?

Thanked by 4netomx jar Dylan 0xdragon
  • Why would any provider have a problem with one user taking 100gb of space? I find that perfectly reasonable for "unlimited".

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I may agree with some things she said, but I really hate the "unlimited" part. What if her client wants 500GB of Cart pics? That's their problem, not you; you offered "unlimited" space, not "unlimited/notmorethan100gbofpics". Gosh I hate those people.

inb4: she registers, make a false statement, and tewll us to buy a dildo and stick it in....

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2016

@tr1cky said:
    Why would any provider have a problem with one user taking 100gb of space? I find that perfectly reasonable for "unlimited".

I never had a problem with it at HG. Use 1TB even as long as it's related to your websites and not a backup of your vacation photos outside of public_html. 100GB is nothing. There's so few trying to use that much it doesn't matter.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • hellogoodbye said: Aside from the header - because it is her own personal blog - the entire post was gender neutral. Can we please keep the criticism that way as well?

Do you know how much efforts was put into #womenincomputing ? Just a header alone, will reinforce the stereotype that woman in tech always use their gender as an advantage in working env, or any other kind of stuff. Not all women are like that, there are some that are skilled and there are some who wants to learn tech but are afraid of this stereotypical idea.

Go ahead and look at her other rant blog posts, they are all pretty much very unprofessional and do not provide much value.

• Women using their appearance and constantly referencing their gender is a two sided idiotic coin- empowerment or victim.

She enjoys "trolling" but moderates her blog. I remember when the T word used to mean something other than "creating visual images to inflict butthurt on mental midgets"

edited January 2016

GIANT_CRAB said: Just a header alone, will reinforce the stereotype that woman in tech always use their gender as an advantage in working env, or any other kind of stuff

If a woman wants to celebrate her femininity in a field that was once largely dominated by men, more power to her. If a man wants to do the same, more power to him. It is not necessary that they hide their female side to make it in this industry, they can be proud of it or they can choose not to be, but the choice is entirely theirs. There are plenty of women in this industry who are insanely skilled and talented, and they make it on the value of their skills alone. How they celebrate it is, again, up to them.

It would be unfair to tell someone to hold back who they are to serve some greater cause. Do what you do and do it well, be who you want to be, that is all.

• doughmanes said: Women using their appearance and constantly referencing their gender is a two sided idiotic coin- empowerment or victim.

She enjoys "trolling" but moderates her blog. I remember when the T word used to mean something other than "creating visual images to inflict butthurt on mental midgets"

There's no good reason to derail this thread into some anti-women crusade

Thanked by 1jar
  • texteditor said: anti-women crusade

I'm sorry if it triggered you. I tip the fedora to you and your knight efforts.

• MunMun Member

I <3 my colocated / dedicated servers.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • JustAMacUserJustAMacUser Member
    edited January 2016

To be honest I read the article and related to experiences she described.

I actually enjoyed her post but I didn't click any of the links. Having seen the replies here and gone back to look at her site, I agree linking to customers directly is inappropriate. Many of us have had customers that are difficult, but to publicly call them out is a little much. How are these customers going to feel when in the future they need legitimate support and find that she is the one providing it? It's probably going to be uncomfortable for them and that's not something customers need when they're already having a bad day with broken tech.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @doughmanes said:
    I'm sorry if it triggered you. I tip the fedora to you and your knight efforts.

you don't have to be a white knight to say "don't derail this into some women-haters club"

girls are people too, weirdo

Thanked by 1jar

@texteditor said:
    girls are people too, weirdo

I thought they were objects :/ damn I was wrong :(

• netomx said: I thought they were objects

Too much OOP :(

@sdglhm said:
    Too much OOP :(

Just a joke, pal. I love women

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • texteditor said: you don't have to be a white knight

The points are over your head and/or something you're unfamiliar with which is why its so offensive to you.

/fedora tip and nod

edited January 2016

doughmanes said: The points are over your head and/or something you're unfamiliar with which is why its so offensive to you

I don't think anyone misunderstood what you were saying, more why you would consider it noteworthy or relevant if not to say that you specifically take issue with women in the workplace. If someone asked me to whip out one of the boys to get a pay raise, say hello to the boys (it's a joke, but you get it). But no one is here complaining about me using my gender to get ahead, maybe my gender has helped me to get ahead in past jobs and you don't even care to find out.

People in all walks of life will use advantages available to them to get ahead, this is nothing new, shocking, or gender specific. All any reasonable person asks is that you give women the same courtesy you would give to men.

• All I will say is "I told you so" when she airs out inMotion for rightfully letting her go and she does everything as I've stated. Funny how her name isn't all over her 2 brands, probably for good reason.

• yeah but that has really nothing to do with her gender and everything to do with her 'smarter-than-you/I-can-do-no-wrong' mindset that is extremely common in tech

• edited January 2016

I've no obligation with women working in IT or any field. But after reading some of her posts that bashes clients, I feel sorry for her "Geeky" thingy :\ I've met brilliant tech girls over my work life and majority were highly talented and over qualified for their position

(btw, I currently live in Sri Lanka. What you call as typical asian things are more common here. No 'A' for math -> get the fuck off. Doctors and Engineers (No computer engineers, those aren't real jobs fml))

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • texteditor said: yeah but that has really nothing to do with her gender

You missed the point about the two sided coin. She'll throw the victim card once cut.

• Funny that this woman brags about working at one of the worst hosting-companies out there, trashes hostgator and their CEO and constantly brags about how she worked harder than any other woman in IT.

Thanked by 1doughmanes

jarland said: If a woman wants to celebrate her femininity in a field that was once largely dominated by men, more power to her. If a man wants to do the same, more power to him.

outb4 @jarland decides to do the same and celebrate his femininity.

raindog308 said: outb4 @jarland decides to do the same and celebrate his femininity.

Already happened. There's a video of me playing the part of a girl and going on a date with a friend. The video was intended to be humorous and had a purpose, but now merely serves to embarrass a friend of mine all these years later.

• @doughmanes said:
    You missed the point about the two sided coin. She'll throw the victim card once cut.

No, I get that, but if she were a man she'd just play a different victim card. People who aren't going to take responsibility for their actions will find an excuse, regardless of sex

• doughmanes said: She mentions "I'm a girl!!!" a lot so she'll play that card or air out some laundry

Posts like this are what make the 'sexism in the workplace' a viable victim card to play in the first place, FYI