Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I’m Going to Tell You About Web Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I’m Going to Tell You About Web Hosting

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2016

A good read but the typos bothered me a lot, I really need to get over that kind of stuff.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • Might be the most self-righteous post on the internet

The entire reason that web hosting is even viable as a business in the first place is because the mismatch between customer and host knowledge

My mother doesn't understand and definitely does not care what DDoS attacks are, why it's important to make backups or why and when she should update her software (or even what software she's running)

All she knows is that she is paying money to a company that said they would host her sewing website and for some reason, it's down. And honestly, that's all she should have to know

Part of being in any tech job is understanding that the entire reason you get paid for knowing how to tinker with servers or whatever is so other people with different priorities don't have to learn that tech shit

god i hate techies

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Nice article, I agree with most of it, and yes a lot of things mentioned there are very obvious but, for some reason, they still need to be said.

• I don't like vim

texteditor said: god i hate techies

• Funny how people have their microcosm. This piece reads like someone who visits LowEnd forums.

• Interesting perspective, I picked up on a lot of the self-explanatory over time but I don't think customers will always see it that way, even if they read the article

• That just sums up why I could never be a host

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2016

@texteditor said:
    god i hate techies

I think you missed the point of that post, it's all about things we want to say which is true for every profession. Of course we don't expect every client to be an expert system admin but it doesn't stop us from thinking "OMG" when stuff happens.

Not to mention she does cover what you're talking about in her post. If you're not an expert web developer then don't get unmanaged service.

• KuJoe said: which is true for every profession.

Which is why it doesn't have to be said, it just comes with the territory of being in a service industry

KuJoe said: If you're not an expert web developer then don't get unmanaged service.

It's easy for you or I to know exactly how much management and/or handholding we need for individual projects because we've been in tech for awhile, but when you are less 'involved' in hosting it can be extremely hard to determine which service would fit you best, especially given the huge spectrum of what's available on the market.

• summary: hosting companies lied to their users with adversting, and then cry about that.
    Why not to write not unlimited, but "our services is limited up to xxx gb per xxx time".
    xD funny story, you lied about your plans & limits, and then you cry about when someone trying to get ALL what you sell for cheap price.

Thanked by 2netomx Host4Go
  • DylanDylan Member
    edited January 2016

KuJoe said: Not to mention she does cover what you're talking about in her post. If you're not an expert web developer then don't get unmanaged service.

Here's what I think is the problem with that statement.

The blog author works for InMotion Hosting. InMotion's own website says their cheapest shared hosting plan is for people who are, and these are all direct quotes, "new to web hosting." They say they "make it easy for new web developers to get their sites up and off the ground" in "a perfect environment to develop and hone your programming skills".

You see the issue, right? The very company she works for is telling non-experts -- absolute newbies, at that -- that shared hosting is perfect for them. In fact almost every single thing she complains about is something her company specifically advertises!

For example, on support: "We'll take care of all the challenges you come across, no matter how difficult they might be - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week." (and that's written about basic support on all plans, not managed support).

So while yes, some customers certainly do have unreasonable expectations, companies like hers deserve much of the blame for setting those expectations in the first place. It's terribly hypocritical to market to a specific audience of people and then complain that those people shouldn't be using your services.

• Well, she probably can't post that on company chat or social networks, so has to say that as a personal opinion on her own blog.

Dylan said: Here's what I think is the problem with that statement.

• xyzxyz Member
    edited January 2016

I'm not sure I can really sympathize too much with the poster to be honest.

But perhaps the thing I object to the most is the rant about 'unlimited'. As posted, unlimited means 'without any limits or restrictions'. If you disagree with my using 1TB of disk space on your cheap hosting plan, then you are imposing limits or restrictions on my usage, i.e. exactly the opposite of what is being advertised.

It's understandable that hosts cannot provide ridiculous* amounts of space for peanuts, and I'm not expecting that to be the case. But if it can't be provided, don't advertise it as such. It's not a customer's business to think about the logistics of a web hosting business - that's the host's job, and if they advertise confusing and easily (and understandably) misleading terms, of course they're going to get complaints. Even if the dictionary agreed with your definition of the term 'unlimited', no-one goes to this level of scrutiny, especially those who are new to web hosting.

• subjective term

It seems like the hosting industry likes to use the word 'unlimited' to describe limits that they do not wish to disclose, that is, take advantage of clueless customers by hiding behind this layer of obscurity. I suppose this may be partly due to the competitiveness of the industry - where, to remain attractive, you need to make such claims. However, IMO, this borders on shady marketing techniques, and they only really have themselves to blame for that.

And besides, people do indeed store 10's of TBs of data on a $5/month "unlimited" plan. Perhaps hosts need to adjust their definition of 'unlimited'.

Thanked by 3GM2015 netomx solarman
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Dylan nailed it - buys lowend host and whines about t. Boo freaking hoo.

• LeeLee Veteran

Dylan said: Here's what I think is the problem with that statement.

spot on. It's easy to have a pop at clients who in themselves know they have absolutely no skill set when it comes to hosting and websites. But when the provider advertises the service is aimed directly at them...

• Skimmed through most of it after the "I'm a geek girl111!!!" and flaunting herself on the header

• That was a nice read...

On the other hand, we have GVH VPS customers which are 1000000x cheaper than free hosting customers ;)

"Your comment is awaiting moderation."

• Same thing.

raindog308 said: "Your comment is awaiting moderation."

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2016

At first I was like alright this is awesome, then I noticed this part:

If you have unlimited disk space, your host is certainly going to put restrictions on what you can do to keep that one person from uploading 100GB of shopping cart pics.

Here's the key: The "100GB of shopping cart pics" links to a website called Cartsnap that is hosted on InMotion. So while this might be a nice rant on the face of it, she ends up directly calling out an InMotion customer in an informal setting, in public, without provocation.

When you write something like this you do it anonymously and you never call out anyone directly, you make it vague and applicable to a large group of people. To put your own name behind it, openly declare yourself an employee of a company on the site, and then call out customers based on private information taken from dealing with them during work hours... that borderlines on "I'd like to lose my job so here goes."

• Did you just send inmotion hosting an email, is that what you're saying?

jarland said: hen you write something like this you do it anonymously and you never call out anyone directly, you make it vague and applicable to a large group of people. To put your own name behind it, openly declare yourself an employee of a company on the site, and then call out customers based on private information about dealing with them... that borderlines on "I'd like to lose my job so here goes."

GM2015 said: Did you just send inmotion hosting an email, is that what you're saying?

Would never. The amount I care for InMotion is actually negative, which is what my bank account would be while living in a box in an alley if I accepted the job offer they made me ;)

Thanked by 3Jonchun netomx Pwner
  • jarland said: "I'd like to lose my job so here goes."

She mentions "I'm a girl!!!" a lot so she'll play that card or air out some laundry

Thanked by 2netomx GIANT_CRAB
  • GM2015 said: Did you just send inmotion hosting an email

A post on their FB wall is adequate enough

• Tell us more, oh great one.

jarland said: The amount I care for InMotion is actually negative, which is what my bank account would be while living in a box in an alley if I accepted the job offer they made me ;)

GM2015 said: Tell us more, oh great one.

17k to move to Virginia Beach. Go ahead, take a look at the cost of living there ;)

Wow, I'd missed that link...that is completely unprofessional. She's calling out an InMotion customer by name.

Thanked by 2netomx linuxthefish
  • $110-400k+ http://www.zillow.com/virginia-beach-va/

jarland said: 17k to move to Virginia Beach. Go ahead, take a look at the cost of living there ;)

• @jarland said:
    17k to move to Virginia Beach. Go ahead, take a look at the cost of living there ;)

Wait what? That's a serious offer?

Thanked by 1jar

Jonchun said: Wait what? That's a serious offer?

That's what I said, as I declined a phone meeting with their CEO while driving down to tour the HostGator office ;)