Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ and FUSE... How to determine if functioning
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ and FUSE... How to determine if functioning

pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
edited November 2012 in General

Working with a bunch of OpenVZ VPS'es.

Project is getting FUSE enabled on these then layer on top of that for filesystem over net.

My prior work with FUSE on dedicated servers is in limited and predictable working fashion.

modprobe fuse doesn't work in OpenVZ and similar unix tools are umm useless in OpenVZ.

How does someone in an OpenVZ container if FUSE has been enabled by the provider? Hitting some problems with a few provider's systems and determining why FUSE won't function:

For instance, sshfs used for testing:

fuse: device not found, try 'modprobe fuse' first>

But modprobe doesn't work in a container on OpenVZ. :)

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited November 2012

You probably need to mknod /dev/something, but i don't know what the something is for fuse.

check if you have /dev/fuse ?

• @concerto49,

On one problematic container there is no /dev/fuse.

Seems to exist on functioning containers.

That is a good easy thing to check :) Like that.

• @pubcrawler said: On one problematic container there is no /dev/fuse.

Seems to exist on functioning containers.

As in you should submit a ticket to the provider then?

• Yeah, I am working on my rollout notes for FUSE deployments since OpenVZ requires admin enabling and typical tools you use on a dedicated server go out the window.

Ticket time :)

• @pubcrawler said: Yeah, I am working on my rollout notes for FUSE deployments since OpenVZ requires admin enabling and typical tools you use on a dedicated server go out the window.

It was one of the first things on our check list to ensure we support it. One of the things we actively monitor on forums like this is the typical pain points of the average user and how to improve our services.

• That's a good thing to do @concerto49.

OpenVZ does create some problems and workarounds for casual administrators. Maintaining a FAQ or help system full of these would be a great benefit to support folks and customers.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

If sshfs indicates you need to modprobe fuse, that probably means the provider hasn't enabled it yet (as in, the kernel module is not available). You'll want to send a ticket to ask them about this.

• With OpenVz and kernel-level functionality, 99% of the time requires that the host has those functionalities enabled on the host node, which they might not allow. If you need to do a lot of kernel level stuff you may have to consider something like Xen or KVM if you can't find a OVZ host that'll alter the physical node for those features.

• What's the best method for automatically enabling things like this on container creation?

• Write a script that checks for /dev/fuse, if it doesn't exist for said ctid, add it and then exempt it from checks. If it exists, ...you get the idea.

Or, you could just have people ticket you and enable it on a case by case basis.

• @Damian maybe /etc/vz/dists/scripts/postcreate.sh

• @rds100 said: @Damian maybe /etc/vz/dists/scripts/postcreate.sh

That's what I was thinking too, was just wondering if anyone had any other brainy ways of doing so.