Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KimSufi vs Online.net
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KimSufi vs Online.net

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited January 2016 in Providers

Hey there,
Looking for a cheap dedicated server Provider to get me started.
Both KimSufi and Online.net seem to be appealing.

Which one would you recommend?

What are the pro/cons of each? I have heard that cancellation process is a hassle with online.net, is that true?

Kimsufi vs Online.net
  1. Kimsufi vs Online.net - Who would you recommend?78 votes
    1. Kimsufi
      48.72%
    2. Online.net
      51.28%

Comments

• I vastly prefer OVH services to Online's. Support will be better with Online.net though compared to Kimsufi - as in, responsive within XX hours vs. potentially days/weeks for an OVH response.

I've never needed Kimsufi support though, my boxes have just worked.

• ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited January 2016

Production > Online.net , Hobby > Kimsufi

Thanked by 1badpatrick
  • depends what you need, e.g. burstable gigabit -> online.net; more disk for less (if you are lucky 2tb for 12euro). canceling with online.net is not a hassle if you cancel before the 20th of a month.

• @mosan7763 said:
    depends what you need, e.g. burstable gigabit -> online.net; more disk for less (if you are lucky 2tb for 12euro). canceling with online.net is not a hassle if you cancel before the 20th of a month.

Is cancellation for both providers possible via the cp? Also does someone know online.net hotline number? Wanted to ask them some questions but I cant seem to find the actual phone number. when im logged in I just see my subscriber nr and my pin xD

• DarwinDarwin Member
    edited January 2016

@Ympker said:
    I have heard that cancellation process is a hassle with online.net, is that true?

No. It is a breeze, just click a button

• @Darwin said:
    No. It is a breeze, just a button click

Oh now that sounds cool :)

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@Ympker said:
    Oh now that sounds cool :)

Make sure its before the 20th or you'll incur a bill for next month.

• @pbgben said:
    Make sure its before the 20th or you'll incur a bill for next month.

Yes, but, if that happens, you can keep using the server until the end of that billed month.

• The best way to test their services would be to order before the 20th and cancel as soon as order has been processed so I will have it a total of 1month eh? Might do a test of a dedi from both providers :)

• Kimsufi = 1 ip with no upgrade.
    Online.net has 5+ failover (additional) ips for the price of 2€ each per month (and a setup fee of 3€). Also there are available bigger blocks, but with a price...

• @jvnadr said:
    Kimsufi = 1 ip with no upgrade.
    Online.net has 5+ failover (additional) ips for the price of 2€ each per month (and a setup fee of 3€). Also there are available bigger blocks, but with a price...

If I use virtualizor will i be able to skip the setup fee?

• Kimsufi, released a bunch of new plans this year. The KS-1 (cheapest, is still the cheapest price you'll find anywhere and you benefit with a large, DDoS protected network. European locations are more prevalent as they are a provider that was founded in Europe and they have more hardware there. They also have a lot of North America customers, therefore their Canada location is hard to find. It has been said that Kimsufi's North America data-center is better then their Europe, but I have not had any issues with their Gravelines, France data-center...

On the other hand...

Online.net, is a great provider all-in-all but is more used by pirates using their network as a seedbox. I believe Online's network is 800Gbit/s (less than 1/3 of Kimsufi's) but I was still able to get a 750Mbit/s download speed and 150Mbit/s upload speed via Ookla speedtest after a fresh reboot... Online.net has slightly lower-end hardware than Kimsufi which can be easily seen comparing their cheapest plans... Generally, your bottle-necked on Online's cheapest plan if you are planning to use it as a seedbox. If you are planning to use it as a VPN then I'd say go for it... However, I think you want to use this as experience to start up a business. In that case I would go with Kimsufi as your customers will benefit from the DDoS protection and it is a large selling point for customers that wish to host game servers or a TS3 server.

Thanked by 2chrisfe Ympker
  • It depends on usage. I tried to push 20 TB of bandwidth on KS, got booted. I did it on Online.net - didn't get booted. Able to burst the pipe 95% 24/7 and no issues, KS could only max 70% of pipe before I got kicked out.

• @GCat said:
    It depends on usage. I tried to push 20 TB of bandwidth on KS, got booted. I did it on Online.net - didn't get booted. Able to burst the pipe 95% 24/7 and no issues, KS could only max 70% of pipe before I got kicked out.

I have heard of this happening before... Online.net is a great choice if you choose to go with the Dedibox XC 2015. But if you want specs similar to their Dedibox SC Gen2 you might as well just go with Kimsufi's KS-1.

• Why? You read about many people here using kimsufi bandwidth a lot.

GCat said: It depends on usage. I tried to push 20 TB of bandwidth on KS, got booted.

• Ympker said: If I use virtualizor will i be able to skip the setup fee?

What do you mean? Online's setup fee? Virtualizor has not any setup fee. Buying a server from online.net has setup fees, as ovh has.

• @LowEndAddiction said:
    Kimsufi, released a bunch of new plans this year. The KS-1 (cheapest, is still the cheapest price you'll find anywhere and you benefit with a large, DDoS protected network. European locations are more prevalent as they are a provider that was founded in Europe and they have more hardware there. They also have a lot of North America customers, therefore their Canada location is hard to find. It has been said that Kimsufi's North America data-center is better then their Europe, but I have not had any issues with their Gravelines, France data-center...

On the other hand...

Online.net, is a great provider all-in-all but is more used by pirates using their network as a seedbox. I believe Online's network is 800Gbit/s (less than 1/3 of Kimsufi's) but I was still able to get a 750Mbit/s download speed and 150Mbit/s upload speed via Ookla speedtest after a fresh reboot... Online.net has slightly lower-end hardware than Kimsufi which can be easily seen comparing their cheapest plans... Generally, your bottle-necked on Online's cheapest plan if you are planning to use it as a seedbox. If you are planning to use it as a VPN then I'd say go for it... However, I think you want to use this as experience to start up a business. In that case I would go with Kimsufi as your customers will benefit from the DDoS protection and it is a large selling point for customers that wish to host game servers or a TS3 server.

Does Kimsufi support more hard drive to configure RAID ?

• @jvnadr said:
    What do you mean? Online's setup fee? Virtualizor has not any setup fee. Buying a server from online.net has setup fees, as ovh has.

I was talking about the ip setup. As virtualizor has ip pool feature and i know how to configure an ip under kvm/linux i thought i could skip the ip setup fee?

• @chrisfe said:
    Does Kimsufi support more hard drive to configure RAID ?

As far as I know, they don't allow upgrades to your HDD. I think you can ask for a custom partition or do so in the "reinstall OS" area.

Thanked by 1chrisfe
  • The thing which currently keeps me from going with kimsufi is the fact that i cant get more ips and thus cant create vpses on their dedi boxes :/

• Ympker said: I was talking about the ip setup. As virtualizor has ip pool feature and i know how to configure an ip under kvm/linux i thought i could skip the ip setup fee?

No. You can add additional ips (failover) via online's client portal and you get billed with the setup fees and the first (calendar) month at whole, even if it is the 25th of the month.

• @Ympker said:
    I was talking about the ip setup. As virtualizor has ip pool feature and i know how to configure an ip under kvm/linux i thought i could skip the ip setup fee?

The IP setup fee is a one-time payment, they don't actually "set it up" for you.

The type of questions you are asking don't make you seem like a good provider choice in the future.

• @Ympker said:
    The thing which currently keeps me from going with kimsufi is the fact that i cant get more ips and thus cant create vpses on their dedi boxes :/

You could offer a NAT IPv4 service like LES if you wish...

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2016

@Brad said:
    The type of questions you are asking don't make you seem like a good provider choice in the future.

Well atleast I am trying to work things out by continuing to ambitiously keep learning instead of making a second account on LET trying to hide my true identity as others do.

What leaves you with two choices:

1) Honor the commitment.

2) Give up on humanity.

I honestly hope people havent pushed you as far as making you choose the latter :)

Thanked by 1LowEndAddiction
  • I use for upload and download but i don't know which site is best, please help me !

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited January 2016

Chairhosting is better

• Goodhosting is also good.

• Igniteservers is also a good option.

• I ask for ovh and online.net bros :(