Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vurtualizor on an OpenVZ instance?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vurtualizor on an OpenVZ instance?

Hello,

Is it possible to install virtualizor on an openvz instance/server? When I try to install virtualizor openvz module on ovz server it doesnt work (as they propably are using the same folders). When i install kvm module on openvz it works as far as bringing up the virtualozor cp but cant allocate storage (neither LVM nor ovz) so I cant create a vps on it. When i try to add new volume group (vgcreate) or storage partition it doesnt work either. Please help me out here :) i am testing virtualizor at the moment with the 30 days free trial. What is funny though: Virtualozor Master-Only works perfectly fine on my ovz vps however naturally cant create more vps on master only thus I can only use it as res pool. Last but not least: Yes, I have inquired Virtualozor support regading this issue however I want to continue testing asap which is why I hope you guys can help me out here :)

Comments

• Short answer: no.

Long answer: it will be against the tos of most providers for a nested virtualization (ovz/kvm/xen inside ovz). Now that's out of there, it is only possible to install the master because you can't create a ovz inside another ovz, simply because ovz is not a full virtualization. The only way is to install qemu inside ovz then install ovz inside that, but that is against the tos of most providers and the performance is shit. If you really want to play with virtualizor, get a dedi or at least a KVM VPS. I am not sure if you can install KVM inside KVM though, but OpenVZ inside KVM should be very easy.

Thanked by 2netomx Ympker
  • TheOnlyDK said: I am not sure if you can install KVM inside KVM though, but OpenVZ inside KVM should be very easy.

It is not very easy, for several providers, because they won't let you configure a working grub to start the vm to a kernel that supports openvz instances...

• @jvnadr said:
    It is not very easy, for several providers, because they won't let you configure a working grub to start the vm to a kernel that supports openvz instances...

Honestly it would depend on the skills you have. I have tried and successfully done this on more than 10 LET providers (including digital ocean) and I find the steps aren't that hard. I guess if you are new, then some googling will need required.

• I have gotten ovz to work in kvm for now :) on my dedi both kvm+ovz runs fine. What about xen? Worth a try? What is the difference here?

• TheOnlyDK said: Honestly it would depend on the skills you have. I have tried and successfully done this on more than 10 LET providers (including digital ocean) and I find the steps aren't that hard. I guess if you are new, then some googling will need required.

I have managed to do it in some, but I couldn't in some others. I am not the... most skilled person here -in fact I am more close to a noobie!- but I'm evolving a lot!

Ympker said: I have gotten ovz to work in kvm for now :) on my dedi both kvm+ovz runs fine.

It is much more easy in e dedi you install your own.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @jvnadr said:
    I have managed to do it in some, but I couldn't in some others. I am not the... most skilled person here -in fact I am more close to a noobie!- but I'm evolving a lot!

At first it was pretty hard, I could get it to work without a grub, but that one day I figured everything out, wasn't that hard, and I wrote a script that automates everything. A few days ago I was trying to find that script... can't find it no more... oh well. But I know it's possible and not very hard, just a couple of commands will set the new kernel for next boot.