Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why/Do I have to configure the DNS server in Dedi for VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why/Do I have to configure the DNS server in Dedi for VPS?

I am trying to understand proxmox. The proxmox VE node have multiple KVM in it with 2 IPs each.

The domain's hosted in each KVM need to use the allotted IP as it's Name server.

Do the PowerDNS option is needed in node server ? I don't understand do this DNS server have some thing to do with VM's working.

Will this DNS function same as a DNS service offered at domain provider.

Somebody please advice.

Comments

• You need DNS to map domain names to the ip addresses of the KVM servers, it's as simple as that.

Currently, the DNS server seems to be on the KVMs. You can move them anywhere else you wish, as long as you set your domain's nameservers to the DNS server host you are using.

Then, you can create an A record to point towards your KVM server's IP using the DNS server host you have chosen.

Thanked by 1indiavps
  • @ALinuxNinja said:

If none of the domains in KVM uses DNS server on main node, can we avoid installing powerDNS on node?

• As what ALinuxNinja said:

The DNS is needed to map the domain names to the relevant ipaddresses of the KVMs.

Maybe you would like to explain what you are wanting to achieve so that we can help you

@jphost said:
    I am trying to understand proxmox. The proxmox VE node have multiple KVM in it with 2 IPs each.

The domain's hosted in each KVM need to use the allotted IP as it's Name server.

Do the PowerDNS option is needed in node server ? I don't understand do this DNS server have some thing to do with VM's working.

Will this DNS function same as a DNS service offered at domain provider.

Somebody please advice.