Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Debian VS CentOS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Debian VS CentOS

Comments

• LongShotLongShot Member
    edited November 2011

@Joel: 123Systems is complete junk. I have an account there, been waiting 5+ months for Debian6.

I've upgraded from Lenny to Squeeze successfully on more than one VPS (including 123Systems):

1. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list
    2. Change "lenny" to "squeeze" and save.
    3. apt-get update
    4. apt-get dist-upgrade
  • @drmike said: Should I be concerned since that's what I use on the VPSes and they are hosting sites?

No. Here's some more statistics to add to Linode link earlier in this thread.

Though as long as you get security support and are happy with system, why would you care what others use?

• @jtodd said: I won't use anything except CentOS unless I really have to.

Same here.

• WhizzWrWhizzWr Member
    edited November 2011

Currently running both CentOS 6 and Ubuntu Server 11.10 (Debian based)

IMO CentOS is more tailored to be a server distro thus many server mgmtn tools are working out of the box. It is also widely supported as VPS distro, having somewhat a lot of scripts, programs (i.e CPanel), and tuts mostly made to work on CentOS

With Ubuntu, you'll need some more apt-get and a little hack. But that's all.

Both YMMW.

What?

• I hear it's better to go w/ Scientific Linux rather than CentOS

• It's just matter of personal preference. I was always more Debian guy and I use it as personal preference since woody which means almost 10 years. I don't use other distributions unless I really have to (i.e. CentOS/cPanel).

You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

• @LongShot said: I've upgraded from Lenny to Squeeze successfully on more than one VPS (including 123Systems):

OpenVZ or Xen? Is it possible on OpenVZ?

My Own Universe | ChatX IRC Network irc.chatx.net:6667
  • It's possible on any platform. Just change your repos and do a dist-upgrade.

• @Aldryic Upgrading on CentOS to a major revision usually breaks it, and CentOS even say you shouldn't

Debian/Ubuntu have clear upgrade paths

The Original Daniel.

• I wasn't aware CentOS had a dist-upgrade, to be perfectly honest. I only have maybe two hours' time on that distro.

But as the question was concerning Debian, I didn't feel the need to clarify there :P

• LongShotLongShot Member
    edited November 2011

@Daniel: Debian/Ubuntu have clear upgrade paths

You can also make Debian into a "rolling release" distro that will periodically implement either (1) updates approved for the next planned release (replace "squeeze" with "testing"), or (2) the latest packages in the Debian repository (replace "squeeze" with "unstable"). Note, however, that the resulting installation may not be completely stable - and may not even run on your VPS. Use at your own risk!

I've had success with the "testing" but have steered clear of "unstable."

• I believe Debian unstable is called 'Ubuntu' <_<

• @Aldryic: I believe Debian unstable is called 'Ubuntu' <_<

LOL! Another Debian purist. I've also heard that Ubuntu is Swahili for "unable to install Debian."

Actually, I have to admit I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS ("Long Term Support") on my laptop. Not that bad. Looks like they actually got the kinks worked out 18 months after its release.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • Purist? Maybe...maybe. 17 years of use tends to build a bias :P

• @Aldryic said: I believe Debian unstable is called 'Ubuntu' <_<

Ubuntu is a bit.. pointless for servers. Unless your using it in Canonicals enterprise solutions, which actually are quite cool.

Unity-2D (3D is a bit waste on recourses), is actually really nice, and is nicer to look at then Windows, as well as OS X.

The Original Daniel.

• @LongShot said: I've had success with the "testing" but have steered clear of "unstable."

Actually, debian unstable might be more stable than testing. experimental is the one you want to stay away from.

unstable is more updated than testing so when there is a but it will be fixed right away

Anyway, testing is great :)

cat /etc/apt/preferences Package: * Pin: release a=testing Pin-Priority: 900

• Another great Debian resource are "backport" packages. These are later versions that can be installed without updating any library dependencies, i.e., the rest of the stable installation remains unchanged. You can learn more at:

http://backports-master.debian.org

Mmmm, Debian! What can't it do?

• Just run Arch, then you won't have to worry about it.

• @LongShot said: I've also heard that Ubuntu is Swahili for "unable to install Debian.

HAHAHA WHAT! :D

Proud member of the VPS Collectors Club

• @Kairus said: Just run Arch, then you won't have to worry about it.

The problem with 123Systems is that, their Arch ISO is 2010 and the kernel is too old and you can't upgrade kernels on OpenVZ right?

My Own Universe | ChatX IRC Network irc.chatx.net:6667
  • RensRens Member
    edited November 2011

@longshot said: I've upgraded from Lenny to Squeeze successfully on more than one >VPS (including 123Systems):

Edit /etc/apt/sources.list Change "lenny" to "squeeze" and save. apt-get update apt-get dist-upgrade

Don't forget to remove the chainload to grub2. Also some users try this with debian 6 and it can also create big problems because of grub. Often you need to run "apt-get remove grub-legacy grub-common" before upgrading. I would recommend to contact your host before running any of these upgrade commands with Debian.

These kind of things and the bad Xen support with Debian in general makes me prefer CentOS. Never managed to convince a true Debian supporter though :)

I do understand that people here like Debian because it doesn't use much RAM. You can tune CentOS 5 to use much less as well though. Also glad to see there now is a minimal install CD for CentOS 6 again.

• @Aldryic said: I wasn't aware CentOS had a dist-upgrade, to be perfectly honest.

:)

The inability to upgrade a CentOS 5 box to CentOS 6, along with the memory-sucking habits of yum, are my two major gripes about CentOS. I have a dozen or so minor grips as well :)

• @LivingSouL said: The problem with 123Systems is that, their Arch ISO is 2010 and the kernel is too old and you can't upgrade kernels on OpenVZ right?

Sadly no :(. I forgot we were talking about OpenVZ here.

I have no experience with it, but I hear good things about Scientific Linux, I'm going to have to try it out soon and see if it's noticeably better than CentOS.

• Somebody still using Slackware? That was my initial linux distro I was using before switching to Debian.

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • lowendnewbielowendnewbie Member
    edited February 2012

Being an RHCE and using RHEL every day for the last 6 years and 2 years of application packaging using RPM + some bespoke server automation kit.

It does leave me a bit of a Red Fedora fanboi, and cursing Debian's non-sensical file structure.

That said I'm sure Debian fans are the same about RHEL/CentOS and it's all much of a muchness.

Use what you want and most importantly use what you're most comfortable with.

Setting up a red hat based box and securing it from remote attack is a piece of pie for me. Give me debian and i'm man -k'ing or slocating all over the place trying to find the configuration files.

One thing I do love about YUM based package management is that it's trivial to create a yum repository, literally any kind of file sharing service (http/ftp/nfs...) and an autogenerated catalog and you're away when i've tried the same on debian a long long time ago it resulted in a bit of facedesking.

• Some folks might be interested to know about CentOS in the enterprise. If you have a RedHat 'supported' machine, the vendor will typically make support tools available. For instance, HP makes the ProLiant support pack. These are packaged for Redhat and go in easily on CentOS. Actually I think CentOS is a supported OS now as well. But yeah, you want to know if a fan or power supply dies, and you want it reported to a large systems monitoring package like Insight Manager, so folks get paged and what not, you use an enterprise class OS. Of course there are ways to do it yourself, but when you by a 30,000 dollar server (or dozens of them), you put a supported OS on it, as much as Admins might like debian at home or whatever, at work, well you get what I' m saying.

• @kylix: nice sig you got there hehe. Writing this from my MacBook Pro though ;) (PS: I'm male and straight, so no nail painting for me)

Check my blog for more cool *nix tips & tricks!

• @Daniel hear, hear ... !

imho and as some others have pointed out too pkg mgmt gets sketchy

yum can be relatively painless but in the enterprise arena it is warped

ie lots of noobs start building from source breaking plesk, xinet oh my

it's not a good excuse but for lots of small to mid range sites I'd rather argue with auditors over a back port fix ...

i don't think CentOS always got a fair shake though because a good admin would slim down on her first ...

• @LongShot another good point ... to save my self from my own comments I've been one of the rooks i just condemned ...

I think it's for reasons like that I grew to learn auditor social skills and to shy away from source if I could help it, just my two ...

I would still never wish to talk down on a solid, long lasting CentOS install, whether managed or not it still has my respect ...

• While Debian is nice for lower-memory boxes, I prefer CentOS because I <3 Yum.

• matt_securedspeedmatt_securedspeed Member, Provider

Generally CentOS for me.

SecuredSpeed - Fast, Affordable, & Reliable VPS Solutions. Gigabit uplinks, SSD's, native IPv4/IPv6, & exclusive mobile app.
  • onepoundonepound Member, Provider

Centos for me too, got used to redhat based distro's from Redhat 7

Try not to use anything else unless I have to.

OnePoundWebHostingUK XEN VPSPV & HVM
    UK Shared & Reseller HostingDomains - Nominet TAG HolderUK Ltd Company, Established 2006
  • prometeusprometeus Member, Provider

Debian is my cup of tea, but most of my work is on redhat and derivatives...

IperWeb & Prometeus, Hosting Provider since 1997. iwStack cloud infrastructure
  • I prefer CentOS not a big fan of debian

RaidLogic.NET - Linux/Windows VPS in multiple locations, starting as low as $9.95/year.
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Provider

CentOS for me, but Debian does just fine too. I am starting to like Debian more though.

• necsnecs Member

sorry to sit on the fence,,, i like both Debian and CentOS

NECS - UK KVM Windows and Linux VPS | UK OVZ Linux VPS | http://www.necs.co.uk

• I've enjoyed using arch before. It can be made very small. When I was using it though their package system made it very easy to break your install. Wouldn't recommend it for OpenVZ unless that's changed.

• exussumexussum Member

yum works fine on 128, Just disable the fastest mirror plugin and its perfect

• yomeroyomero Member

Necromancers...

• @yomero Whoops, didn't notice that.