Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyShared Review 1 year, 6 months, 2 days
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyShared Review 1 year, 6 months, 2 days

xaitmixaitmi Member
edited January 2016 in Reviews

Hello Folks,

I've been a BuyShared customer for exactly 1 year, 6 months, 2 days as of this post, and it's been great.

I use their USA location.

Proof:

I started off as a month - month customer, and on Oct 1 2014 I upgraded it to a $20/yearly package.

I mainly use it to test stuff, host some small development sites, host some friends sites, etc.

Support:

Support is awesome, I mainly get ticket responses from Aldryic, who is very helpful and always gets straight to the point.

What I really like is their blackhole policy.

Nullroutes on shared hosting last 15 ~ 30 minutes depending on if you keep getting attacked.

A lot of hosts I've used in the past just null route the IP for a minimum of 24 hours, even if the attack is no longer happening, which is very inconvenient, BuyShared's 15-30 minutes policy is excellent.

There has been a few incidents where one of the sites I host on the reseller get's DDOS attacked (which I am moving over to a DDOS protected VPS very soon), so the 15 minute policy ensures everything is back online as soon as possible.

Uptime:

Uptime is extremely solid, never had any downtime except one time where Fiberhub (the datacenter they use) went down and all services were offline for a few hours. This was out of BuyShared's control.

Unique Features

They recently added LetsEnrypt to their cPanel servers so everyone can have SSLs for free.

Cons:

The only bad thing I can say is the manual order verification. If you order after hours, you wont get your credentials right away as they manually verify your payment, and other stuff.

Example: I ordered a shared cPanel account during the first week of January 2016 on a Friday night around 10PM for a friend, (didn't put them on my reseller as they wanted their own IP), the order was fulfilled around 8:30am the following Saturday.

Suggestions:

Being able to buy a DDOS protected IP on a shared hosting package would be awesome.

Conclusion:

BuyShared is a great place to host your websites.

Sure there might be a bit of a delay after you place you order, but once it's provisioned, it's smooth sailing.

p.s. I bought a DDOS protected VPS from them about a month ago, it's rock solid, so be sure to check those out.

I'll post a review on the VPS in a year.

Thanked by 1Francisco

Comments

• If only there was stock available in Lu...

Thanked by 1Leechum
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Thanks :) Fiberhub is Las Vegas, Luxembourg is Root.LU ;) Root had some major issues with a bummed port channel, but they removed us from it and our new router is still being worked on.

DDOS protection is a pain in the butt for shared just because if you have some nasty layer 7 that's getting by standard procedures you're putting a lot of websites in danger, especially when 99.99% of our users don't need filtering.

I don't really have interest in busting my butt with fully custom rulesets for a user paying $5/year either (not you, but we have had a few others upset about the lack of filtering).

Either way, thank you for the feedback!

@rds100 said:
    If only there was stock available in Lu...

I think Aldryic has a bit of stock from cancellations over the past few months, but won't be much, a handful of plans maybe. More nodes are on the way, just been wanting to do our KVM upgrades at the same time and i can't make up my mind on what CPU's to use.

Francisco

• Can this host email too?

• xaitmixaitmi Member
    edited January 2016

@jcaleb said:
    Can this host email too?

Not sure what you mean, but they block phpmail on their servers.

So you have to use SMTP to send outgoing mail. I recommend MailJet.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • I mean usual cpanel, aside from hosting your website. You can add email users too right?

@xaitmi said:
    Not sure what you mean, but they block phpmail on their servers.
    So you have to use SMTP to send outgoing mail. I recommend MailJet.

It's blocked but can be unblocked easily enough, you just have to ticket and we'll add you to the whitelist.

@jcaleb said:
    I mean usual cpanel, aside from hosting your website. You can add email users too right?

Right, you can make emails and all that.

Francisco

• Francisco said: Right, you can make emails and all that.

Unlimited users? As long as within disk space limit?

• @Francisco said:
    It's blocked but can be unblocked easily enough, you just have to ticket and we'll add you to the whitelist.

I asked about it in ticket #70517 and was just told to use SMTP.

@xaitmi said:

Generally we recommend SMTP, but if you really need phpmail it can be enabled.

@jcaleb said:
    Unlimited users? As long as within disk space limit?

Right.

Francisco

Thanked by 2xaitmi jcaleb
  • @jcaleb said:
    I mean usual cpanel, aside from hosting your website. You can add email users too right?

Yes you can make mail accounts :) works great too :)

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • kaflokaflo Member
    edited January 2016

To OP: are you monitoring your websites? i.e. Pingdom, Uptime Robot

Because I had lots of downtimes with them. (Error establishing a database connection in WordPress)

I got a lot of these in my email

Pingdom Alert: Incident #123 for xxx (www.xxx), has been assigned to you.

And the sites are not even that busy.

The sites are now hosted in a VPS (a 256MB OpenVZ) and haven't had any downtime yet.

I signed up with them last December 2015 on their annual plan and I couldn't stand the downtime so I transferred the sites to a VPS.

A waste of $15 because I won't be using it anymore.

edited January 2016

@kaflo said:

Because I had lots of downtimes with them. And the sites are not even that busy.

The sites are now hosted in a VPS (a 256MB OpenVZ) and haven't had any downtime yet.

I signed up with them last December 2015 on their annual plan and I couldn't stand the downtime so I transferred the sites to a VPS.

You can get a refund if you feel that way :)

We've had a lot of issues with (what we think is) CentOS 7 + Cloudlinux on lv-shared03 & lv-shared04 that has been really problematic. The big issue we're having is litespeed will just die w/o any reason. We've had to remove litespeed from both of those nodes and go back to Apache just to not have to be woken up through-out the night from LSWS dying and not coming back.

It was a very frustrating Christmas to say the least.

Francisco

• It's never really down for that long, usually 1-2 mins here and there (according to UptimeRobot which checks every 5 mins). Lots of little events lately though:

• @Francisco said:
    You can get a refund

I'll take you up on that. Who do I contact on this?

• @kaflo said:

Hi Kaflo,

Yes I do monitor my sites + a friend hosts one of his billing systems on it, and I have never experienced the issues you have had. It's been smooth as butter.

edited January 2016

@kaflo said:
    I'll take you up on that. Who do I contact on this?

Just ticket billing.

@mikeyur - If that's 03 or 04, that's likely just apache graceful restarting. I saw the same on nodeping when I had it do no re-tests. I like litespeed since it handles graceful restarts really nicely but it doesn't mean much if it completely dies.

Whenever lv-shared01 gets rebuilt (next week?) i'll be putting it on CentOS 6 just to test my theory. lv-shared02 & lu-shared01 are both centos 6 and run a marathon w/o a blip, so i'm favoring just the CL 3.x kernels being buggy.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:
    If that's 03 or 04, that's likely just apache graceful restarting. I saw the same on nodeping when I had it do no re-tests. I like litespeed since it handles graceful restarts really nicely but it doesn't mean much if it completely dies.

It's a ping check on lv-shared01, not a http check. Could be throttled ICMP or something though

• From past experience, UptimeRobot has given me a lot of false positives in the past.

Better to use Pingdom

@mikeyur said:
    It's a ping check on lv-shared01, not a http check. Could be throttled ICMP or something though

Unless you have a 'shared' plan, you're not on 01. We pulled all resellers off 01 over the course of the last month or so. 01 needs a change of how the array is and I didn't feel like pulling it offline for 6~8 hours to sync 30M+ inodes. It caused less headache to just migrate each user and restore their original IP.

Logging into cpanel will probably redirect you to the domain, or, SSH in.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

Yep, my bad, it's 03

@mikeyur said:

No worries. I got a hardware maint on the node in the next day or two to replace a bad stick of RAM and to get it back on some 24 core processors. We had a fustercluck going on early in the week/last week that we couldn't figure out so we did a full chassis swap to see if it would fix it.

It didn't, since the issue was cPanel updated EXIM and removed a bunch of chattr's i did on files for our anti-spam stuff. The box was literally forkbombing itself offline. Once I bashed my head into a wall over that one it has been fine (minus the gracefuls taking ~4 seconds to complete).

Francisco

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@Francisco said:
    lv-shared02 & lu-shared01 are both centos 6 and run a marathon w/o a blip

Have got a application for work running on 02. Have not noticed anything downtime at all. My bosses wonder why they pay $100/month for much less in Australia.

@trewq said:
    Have got a application for work running on 02. Have not noticed anything downtime at all. My bosses wonder why they pay $100/month for much less in Australia.

Haha.

Yeah, I gotta admit, I regret going CentOS 7 + CL on these. I just really wanted the new file notify hooks so I could bring the spam levels to ~nil.

Francisco

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • kaflo said: To OP: are you monitoring your websites? i.e. Pingdom, Uptime Robot

Because I had lots of downtimes with them. (Error establishing a database connection in WordPress)

I got a lot of these in my email

Pingdom Alert: Incident #123 for xxx (www.xxx), has been assigned to you.

And the sites are not even that busy.

My account used to be on lvshared01. I guess I am one of those that had been moved to lvshared03.

BuyShared really seems to be doing a great job for the value you pay. Aldrich and Francis are responsive to tickets, they know what they are doing about all the hardware and the software. Shared03 seems to have little downtimes, according to uptimerobot. Francis says these are apache restarts. I am ok with it. I am receiving the same emails @mikeyur

In overall they are doing a good job. I am glad to see LS disabled on shared03 because it definitely was a pain in the a.. and causing issues. If they add LU stock, I will buy one. At least this is a provider who knows how to handle downtime, software, hardware etc. @Francisco

And here is my uptime information for shared03-Vegas.

edited January 2016

The ~1 minute ones will be restarts. New account creations, SSL's, etc, will cause it to restart. The 5 minute one might've been the confirmed bad stick of RAM I need to schedule a replacement for.

There will be a schedule swap probably on Monday that will involve just moving the drives over to another physical node, but that shouldn't be all that long. It's returning back to the hardware it came from since the gear isn't the source of the lock ups I mentioned earlier. Then again, it might just be easier to have FH swap the RAM & processors over, that way I don't end up in udev hell.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:
    The ~1 minute ones will be restarts. New account creations, SSL's, etc, will cause it to restart. The 5 minute one might've been the confirmed bad stick of RAM I need to schedule a replacement for.

This is the part I don't understand about shared hosting, if someone tries to access the website and at this very instant apache is restarting due to a new site added or whatever reason, what would happen? An some sort of errors or simply delayed site opening?

edited January 2016

TheOnlyDK said: This is the part I don't understand about shared hosting, if someone tries to access the website and at this very instant apache is restarting due to a new site added or whatever reason, what would happen? An some sort of errors or simply delayed site opening?

With apache it won't serve that request. If you have a cPanel box you can check /usr/local/cpanel/logs/safeapacherestart_log to see how long a graceful restart takes. The things that'll slow it down are purely 'how many domains are hosted'. Litespeed had an interesting way of dealing with gracefuls where it will spin off a 2nd instance of itself and hand off control of the port (i'm assuming using the port reuse controls?) so there's technically no drop.

As mentioned, depending on how many domains you have hosted a graceful restart is usually 5~15 seconds. The issue lv-shared03 originally had is we had a single reseller with ~20,000 domains/subdomains from freenom and it caused our httpd.conf to be around ~60MB, with nearly 3/4 of it being him. It caused reloads to take upwards of 20~30 seconds due to the amount of parsing involved. Litespeed hid this until it simply started crapping out without cause or coredumps.

As far as I can see cPanel has no way to allow us restrict how many sub domains a sub user is allowed to create, so instead I simply wrote some accounting scripts that reports to us anything over a reasonable limit.

Ends up him, and 1 - 2 more resellers (probably friends of his) were making all of those accounts for amazon/etc affiliate spam. Since then Aldryic checks things pretty often to make sure we aren't getting a repeat of that.

Francisco

• not to join in on the gripe, but i left buyshared (i had 2 reseller 50G accounts), both at LU because it was always little downtimes and sites getting cpu limited all the time, and i was going to put about 10 of my sites (1 popular, 9 not really) on each account, but at the time it was just 4 small sites one one and 3 small on the other and it was small issues always creeping in, never did transfer more sites over or risk the popular ones, and when it was time to renew... no point :) still even when cpu limited they mostly worked fine and as always buyvm support was outstanding, shame the service had and apparently still has some glitches in LU :/

• @fiend said:
    not to join in on the gripe, but i left buyshared (i had 2 reseller 50G accounts), both at LU because it was always little downtimes and sites getting cpu limited all the time, and i was going to put about 10 of my sites (1 popular, 9 not really) on each account, but at the time it was just 4 small sites one one and 3 small on the other and it was small issues always creeping in, never did transfer more sites over or risk the popular ones, and when it was time to renew... no point :) still even when cpu limited they mostly worked fine and as always buyvm support was outstanding, shame the service had and apparently still has some glitches in LU :/

If I'm understanding correctly from the posts I've seen, @Francisco claims it was a root.lu issue that is now fixed? or is it still in progress? Something about a switch failing?