Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

alternatives to Linode's nodebalancers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

alternatives to Linode's nodebalancers

AdamMAdamM Member

Hi,

I am looking for LEB (or similar) providers who provides something equivalent to Linode's nodebalancers. That is to say, a load balancer as a service.

Thanks,

-Adam

Comments

• Why isnt this said more often.

GOOOOOOOOO LUNANODE

Thanked by 2perennate jar
  • TinyTunnel_Tom said: GOOOOOOOOO LUNANODE

I don't think Cloudstack can load-balance off its private network.

• I don't think Cloudstack can load-balance off its private network

I think linode's loadbalancers only work with nodes within linode's service. So it is ok if it is only within the same provider... though it would be great if this were not a limitation.

• @TinyTunnel_Tom can you post a link to LunaNode's lodebalancing service? I did not immediately see it on the site. Are you the owner of Luna, or affiliated with them?

• OVH

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

On Luna Node we provide load balancer services via OpenStack Neutron LBaaS. The load balancer has both an external and an internal IP, and will forward requests that it receives on the external IP to endpoints on the internal network. Currently the load balancer will only listen on one port. The steps to get started are:

• Create a tenant (virtual) network from Virtual Networks page.
    • Provision your VMs on the tenant network.
    • Create a load balancer with HTTP or TCP, and specify the parameters
    • Add members to the load balancer: each member includes internal IP address and the port number.
    • Create a health monitor, which will disable members that have failed; then associate the health monitor with the load balancer

Basic information is at https://wiki.lunanode.com/index.php/Virtual_networks

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @perennate Great thanks for the help. I will certainly look into that.

Though it does sound more complicated than :inode's setup from an enduser's perspective. Wiht Linode, no Virtual Network setup is necessay: Just click to create balancer, and then select which nodes to balance among. But perhaps I am thinking Luna is more complicated than it really is, and as we all know, even the mighty Linode is not free of problems these days :) I appreciate the info and look forward to exploring it.

• I think you are after a load balancer for non-local VMs - am I correct?

So you'll have VMs say at Linode or Amazon and this load balancer will balance traffic to these external VMs.

That being the case these Cloudstack/Openstack solutions will not work. You need a true load balancer solution.

NSOne or Cedexis maybe good contenders depending on how you are balancing traffic.

Another option is to roll your own and get a VM/Dedicated server and run haproxy/varnish/nginx depending on service.

Thanked by 1AdamM
  • @MarkTurner said:
    I think you are after a load balancer for non-local VMs - am I correct?

So you'll have VMs say at Linode or Amazon and this load balancer will balance traffic to these external VMs.

That being the case these Cloudstack/Openstack solutions will not work. You need a true load balancer solution.

NSOne or Cedexis maybe good contenders depending on how you are balancing traffic.

Another option is to roll your own and get a VM/Dedicated server and run haproxy/varnish/nginx depending on service.

Actually so cat is amazing for thus

Thanked by 1AdamM
  • Haha, nice joke.

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Actually so cat is amazing for thus

• AdamMAdamM Member
    edited January 2016

@MarkTurner I think you are after a load balancer for non-local VMs - am I correct?

Actually, I am interested in a VPS provider that provides a LB services for
    VPS under that same provider. If it can do an outside vps... sure that is an added benefit, but not necessary. So, if I were using Ramnode (and Ramnode provided a LB), I would be fine with all the VPSs being with Ramnode (for example).

Here are a few things I am looking for:

`- health monitor, take failing servers out of the balancer

• some form of sticky forwarding - either cookie based or table of ips or something consistent.
    • TCP
    • I can do SSL termination on my backend servers`

I know I can probably set this up myself using haproxy or nginx, but I would prefer to have it as a service.

• @Jacob said:
    Haha, nice joke.

Haha although it's multicast is OK. Beats IPTables for forwarding

• Openshift is able to do the balancing and auto-scaling with just a checkbox on "auto-scaling".

On the other hand, you might be wanting to look at something more similar - take a look at AWS. Beanstalk, Route 53 (RR DNS balancing), VPR, etc.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Use this in combination with a DigitalOcean account:
    https://www.tutum.co

It's still not as easy as Linode's load balancers but it's a cool implementation of Docker + API to build something like this on top of another provider.

Thanked by 1AdamM