Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSL Certificates
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSL Certificates

shaanlshaanl Member
edited November 2011 in General

I'm looking to buy a SSL Certificate from Namecheap, but I'm having some trouble choosing one!

I have a VPS that's set up pretty securely (well, I think it is :p) and wanted to have a script I've made running on there, but I've been thinking about installing some extra security with an ssl certificate.

Would this be necessary, and if so, which SSL Certificate would you recommend? I might have some sites running off a subdomain as well.

Thanks!

Comments

• PositiveSSL must be good enough

• Wouldn't the subdomains require the use of a wildcard ssl? Been meaning to ask this as well.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited November 2011

If you won't have visitors maybe you can create a self signed cert.

And for subdomains, you need a wildcard cert, or buy a cert for each subdomain (excluding the www one).

Thanked by 1shaanl
  • Is it necessary/recommended though to have a cert, if it's just me?

• If it's just you, go with the self signed one and save the money.

Thanked by 1shaanl
  • a few positives ssls are cheaper than a wildcard ($8,95 < $89)...

Thanked by 1shaanl
  • @shaanl said: Is it necessary/recommended though to have a cert, if it's just me?

If you don't want to be exposed to session stealing, or your information is important, ssl is the way to go.

• @shaanl said: Is it necessary/recommended though to have a cert, if it's just me?

It really depends what you're running, a lot of things don't really need a secure connection.

• don't forget, there are free certs like startssl

• Btw someone knows if you can get lots of startssl free certs? (For subdomains, or other domaiins and so).

• Yep, startssl mixed up elegantly with low end box. LOL

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

No, startssl doesnt give free subdomains

• StartCom Free SSL cert can be enough for you - or go for a self signed so that you won't have to change it every year :)

You can select one subdomain with that, well if you create another account for another subdomain it might work, don't know how strong they check that kind of stuff. You'd need another IP though

• jhjh Member

I would recommend RapidSSL or PositiveSSL for your use. Both cheap from Namecheap.

• or rapidssl for free... ;-)

• WhizzWrWhizzWr Member
    edited November 2011

Btw someone knows if you can get lots of startssl free certs? (For

subdomains, or other domaiins and
    so).

Yes, startSSL allows multiple domains and subdomains last time I checked. One subdomain+www on the DNS name per certificate, though.

I currently have like 10+ certs for two domains (1 cert/subdomain).

And those certs are under 1 account.