Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cheap Server with decent storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cheap Server with decent storage

hello,
basically i want to host my own cloud for backup and dropbox-like usage (will be using owncloud or seafile), so my only need is quite a bit of storage, and it doesnt matter if its an SSD or not, like 100GB (of course more is better).
apart from that i dont think that i need much RAM/CPU.
but i want the hoster to be quite nice, so i dont want to log in into my just-bought server, check smartctl just to see my HDD is about to die. So, yeah, the hoster should not be too shaby :)
So far i looked through quite a lot... kimsufi has really bad HDDs, there are quite a lot negative news about contabo...
any ideas?

Comments

• If you want EU, check out time4vps

Thanked by 2sipe GunjanTripathi
  • ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited January 2016

@s0ftcorn said:
    hello,
    basically i want to host my own cloud for backup and dropbox-like usage (will be using owncloud or seafile), so my only need is quite a bit of storage, and it doesnt matter if its an SSD or not, like 100GB (of course more is better).
    apart from that i dont think that i need much RAM/CPU.
    but i want the hoster to be quite nice, so i dont want to log in into my just-bought server, check smartctl just to see my HDD is about to die. So, yeah, the hoster should not be too shaby :)
    So far i looked through quite a lot... kimsufi has really bad HDDs, there are quite a lot negative news about contabo...
    any ideas?

http://www.time4vps.eu/

they are great. and nobody could beat their prices. they cover the market i think...

(if openvz is okay)

• Delimiter has decent servers and new/as-new disks:

https://cc.delimiter.com/cart/dedicated-servers/

• go with @Time4vps

Thanked by 1seaeagle
  • ZweiTiger said: they are great. and nobody could beat their prices. they cover the market i think...

wait until next month and you will see ...

Thanked by 1ManofServer
  • @cociu said:

I'm interested

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited January 2016

KS2

Yeah, it's my first ks2 with 2TB drive. Can't be that bad.

s0ftcorn said: kimsufi has really bad HDDs, there are quite a lot negative news about contabo... any ideas?

• s0ftcorns0ftcorn Member
    edited January 2016

well, for a moment it seemed like time4vps was the thing i looked for, but now im interested what will happen next month?

well, i got one KS-2 but smart basically says a good mixture of "Pre-Fail" and "OldAge" ;)

• @cociu said:

Okay I will check! :)

• GM2015 said: Yeah, it's my first ks2 with 2TB drive. Can't be that bad.

well... login as root and check your HDD with smartmonctls ( # smartctl -a -d ata /dev/sda
    ), i'm not the guy who is happy running on an old HDD :D

• never owned a T4VPS. OVZ puts me off with storage

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1477939/#Comment_1477939

s0ftcorn said: well... login as root and check your HDD with smartmonctls ( # smartctl -a -d ata /dev/sda ), i'm not the guy who is happy running on an old HDD :D

• Interested in Dallas?

• Time4VPS

• @Brad said:
    Interested in Dallas?

location doesnt matter, KVM and a not that bad history is more imporant :)

• @black said:
    If you want EU, check out time4vps

@simonindia said:
    go with Time4vps

@hostnoob said:
    Time4VPS

@ZweiTiger said:

If you recommended time4vps then you never use their storage vps to host owncloud, so stop there.

If you do, then open image on web you'll notice the lag.

Thanked by 1wolfman
  • @s0ftcorn said:
    location doesnt matter, KVM and a not that bad history is more imporant :)

PM me your exact requirements and we can work something out. Will be XenHVM.

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited January 2016

@cociu said:

Don't tease me like this man, my wallet is already open.

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    never owned a T4VPS. OVZ puts me off with storage

If you truly care about the data you'd encrypt it before upload to any remote location regardless of OVZ vs KVM or even a dedi.

@OP
    My vote for time4vps as well, they've been solid and their pricing is hard to beat.

Thanked by 2GM2015 vimalware
  • RurikoRuriko Member
    edited January 2016

cociu said: wait until next month and you will see ...

@cociu are you planning to have storage plans?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

tommy said: If you recommended time4vps then you never use their storage vps to host owncloud, so stop there.

If you do, then open image on web you'll notice the lag.

I wouldn't expect the fastest service with the kind of pricing they offer.

As long as the server is up and usable, I would be happy. I don't have services with them, just saying.

• Ruriko said: @cociu are you planning to have storage plans?

i hope in 2 weeks finish a project and yes we will have some special offers with a good amount of hdd

Thanked by 2HWAYS vimalware
  • @cociu said:

i'm waiting

• @cociu said:

torrents allowed? and do you have a looking glass?

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

tommy said: If you do, then open image on web you'll notice the lag.

Tommy boy, please contact us regarding your issues with our storage server. "Image lag" is not related to service it-self most of the time.

• hostnoob torrent is allowed yes , about looking glass you are protected with 15 days mony back guarantee if you are not content.

• https://backupsy.com/ ??

I been with Virtora which is a sister brand and support is really quick.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

@Infinity has some space I think.

• @black said:
    If you want EU, check out time4vps

I have had some VPSs in Amsterdam over last few years and the speeds are quite good from here South Asia. I am not sure how good download upload speeds I shall get from their servers in Lithuania.