Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OneProvider - VPS plans at $4.50/mo - 75% off for life! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OneProvider - VPS plans at $4.50/mo - 75% off for life!

Comments

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012

@joepie91 said: Then I wonder why they are falsely advertising it as NL.

Actually they don't. In offer is cleary written:

Amsterdam, NL (geo-located)

...and then then further explanation in their FAQ:

Geo-localization is a technology used to assign IP's to a server different than where the server physically is. Some of the specs you see on our dedicated server pages have this mention, indicating that the physical location of the server may differ from the one you are viewing. This allows us to offer better deals, better specs for lower costs, in areas where the prices would normally be considerably higher. Please note that we do offer servers that are physically available in all of our locations, but a custom quote request must be made prior to purchase, by contacting our support team.

(Not that I care - just saying. I see geolocation from my point of view as pretty much useless.)

• +1 exactly; doing the same as you

@pubcrawler said: OneProvider's offers with this discount totally get into the LEB price of the market.

Their servers are mighty peppy (i.e. not oversold yet). Some big disk plans in there for a change too.

Weary about buying 5 locations from one provider, at any price. But, I have some holes in places we have things and some providers on my short discontinue list for one reason or another. So, testing to see how nodes are in those places.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2012

@Spirit said: Actually they don't.

Yet this is where you end up if you click Europe from their front-page:

The VPS page does not list any different information about the countries.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012

@joepie91 said: Yet this is where you end up if you click Europe from their front-page:

We're talking about VPS offer, don't we?

Because with dedicated servers you pasted they offer both - cheaper geolocated servers and more expensive dedis on proper location and they made it pretty clear. Hint: http://oneprovider.com/dedicated-servers/amsterdam-netherlands

edited November 2012

@Spirit said: We're talking about VPS offer, don't we?

Because with dedicated servers you pasted they offer both - cheaper geolocated servers and more expensive dedis on proper location and they made it pretty clear. Hint: http://oneprovider.com/dedicated-servers/amsterdam-netherlands

Yes, and that is not clear at all when you click from the frontpage to 'Europe', and then on to the VPS page. The giant 'Europe' link on the frontpage doesn't say "Dedicated servers in Europe".

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012
    1. You said that VPS offer was false advertising as NL.
    2. I said that it wasn't, that in offer was clearly written (I will paste directly from offer) "Amsterdam, NL (geo-located)"
    3. Then you pasted their DEDIS offer where it says on frontpage only Netherland
    4. Then I told you to click at this "Netherland" where is clearly written that they offer both (geolocated and properly located) dedis, where they explain difference and pricing difference
    5. And now you complicate further.. :) Well, in their VPS offer wasn't any false advertising - it's clearly written that NL is gelocated, I (same as everyone capable to read what he pays for) ordered VPS from offer knowingly that this location is geo-located. All rest is just necessary useless complicating around "nothing".

But you would be right if you would say that isn't even clear from their page which 17 locations out of 100 listed are available for vps - lack of informations, surely not so good. They made this clear only in their WHT offer (and there is NL - again - clearly stated as geo-located).

@Spirit said: You said that VPS offer was false advertising as NL.

My remark about false advertising wasn't about the WHT offer, actually - I was refering to their main site.

@Spirit said: Then I told you to click at this "Netherland" where is clearly written that they offer both (geolocated and properly located) dedis, where they explain difference and pricing difference

How many people click "Netherlands" with the idea that "hey, maybe it isn't really in the Netherlands, let me check" before ordering a VPS?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012

@joepie91 read last part of my previous post carefully. You're argumenting for the sake of argument when they don't even advertise any vps location on their main site specifically. This info is missing. That's sloppy for sure but any info you got about .nl vps offering at all is from WHT post and then our reports about their service details here.
    They have on their website listed all 100 dedis locations but don't specifically says which one is available for VPS hosting. So as they don't list 17 locations at main site there also isn't stated Netherland specifically so how can be then false advertised? The only site which tells us specifically countries where VPSs are located is as far as I know their WHT offer.
    All this isn't really important for me, neither for you however lets be honest here, their site regarding VPS locations is crap but they don't false advertise as they don't advertise any vps locations specifically at their site at all. This info is missing. And at WHT where they finally list all available VPS locations they properly advertise .nl as geo-located.

• How about drag @OneProvider here? :D

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012

@ErawanArifNugroho maybe it would be enough if someone would tell them that it would be good to list all VPS locations specifically at their site as everyone don't read their WHT offers so that people won't mixt them with dedis locations :)

• Right :)

After re-reading the offer, vps and dedi, it's different.:)
    So, a PM to their account in WHT would be nice :D

• jamsonjamson Member
    edited November 2012

@pubcrawler said: Sydney, Australia - insufficient IPs

They're in ServersAustralia, i think.

Edit: They are... forgot that was mentioned earlier though, lol. Sorry.

• Yep, VPS is not resold by them but not really cost efficient (Sologigabit takes 5EUR / IP...)

• So they're swiping ips to certain geos and selling them from different locations? Seems completely pointless to me, outside of maybe some seo scamming/localized auto ad posting (ie craigslist)/stuff dependent on ip geo dns and so on.

Why on earth would someone want a server, say in Frankfurt, with ip ranges in Amsterdam? I'm not saying you should care if that's the case - many providers have ranges registered to their home office for example, but marketing it as a special technology seems stupid at best.

At worst, it's just a downright shady way to make people think they have many more locations then they do. And a waste of ipv4.

• @unused - They seam to be trying to implement a “what if” situation, but failing to cover the other situations. Not everyone buys/uses something for the same reason(s), and not a lot of people outside of certain fields come across/use theses ideas. So it's not surprising.

I find that a lot of providers; IT/Tech firms in general are unable to clearly communicate what they offer.

When I first came across their site (OneProvider), it took me a while to get what they were doing. On first glance you get the wrong impression, by that I mean you end up making the assumption which many have posted about.

It can almost feel like a bait and switch, if you order based on that assumption.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of their support and pre-sales issues are about these assumptions. Which they could completely eliminate, it is not that hard. But I say that because I dealt with these types of issues for a long time so its second nature to me.

• @bit @Zen - right, besides some of the geo specific stuff (I'm sitting in frankfurt, want to watch the olympics which are BBC is broadcasting free to UK ips only..) etc.

The place where it stops making sense is the actual physical geo, purely from a network/latency perspective. I wouldn't use their service unless I was close to them. Unless they are announcing 100 /24's in say, at least one location on each continent what's the point.

Are there really enough customers looking for this kind of service in Europe?

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited November 2012

Yep, the OneProvider site is majorly jumbled and communicates things in way unclear or in manner that would conflict thought of average person (even average technical person).

Interesting services nonetheless. Nice selection of place you can at-will move your VPS to (17 of them with more to come, minus areas where out of IPs).

They should break their brand up into one site for dedicated servers - an open market place of sorts and another site just for the VPS'es.

Functionality to actually move VPS including data from one location to other would be super, but bound to be technically expensive to perfect I suspect.

Wish they'd extend the special to more than one subscription per account.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012

@unused said: Are there really enough customers looking for this kind of service in Europe?

Most likely not but hey, that's just one of their option to pick from many. Would we sleep better if they would completely remove this one and offer lets say 16 vps locations instead 16 + 1 geo-located? Let's put things into perspective - it's not like their whole vps service base on geo-located IPs but only small portion - as option to pick.

• Roughly 1/4 of their VPS locations are problematic (unavailable or geo-re-located IP).

That's significant.

Wondering if it is due to their promo or what.

Fascinating business model. Hoping for more nodes outside the US. Middle East, Asia, Australia, South America ... The typical wish list.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012

I am wondering how will they fight against spam abuse. Switching between locations, each time with new IP seems almost like spammers heaven.

• Yes, the issues for abuse seem many. Zero tolerance TOS perhaps and quick finger on the disable VPS button :)

• @Spirit said: I am wondering how they will fight against spam abuse. Switching between locations, each time with new IP seems almost like spammers heaven.

+1 to that

• Is their support fast enough ? i am consistently getting delays of upto 5-6 hrs or even more for response . Sales is worse, Had sent them a quote request for a dedi in Asia and sales took 28 hours to respond.

• @pubcrawler said: Roughly 1/4 of their VPS locations are problematic (unavailable or geo-re-located IP).

That's significant.

Wondering if it is due to their promo or what.

Probably due to the promo.

For me I ordered 10 locations, currently only have one spare as I'm looking to get the last one setup in their NY location.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2012

Stop whining about geolocated IPs. Who the fuck cares if Amsterdam is geolocated to Frankfurt, they are like within 50km. And for those who care, (1) this is clearly written in the offer (2) well here you go, you get an Amsterdam IP or whatever.
    For the rest of us, they do indeed have real Ukraine and Australia. This is serious, i.e. not simply geo-located, and awesome for the price. (But still I somehow managed to convince myself that I don't need one :P)

• That coupon is now GONE.

Let's see if they come back in next 30 days with another one.

• RurikoRuriko Member
    edited November 2012

So how's the performance like IO and CPU? besides the geo IP issues

• Was anyone able to get onto the Sydney node? I signed up, but it looks like they ran out of capacity by the time I had finished registration.

What's the processor, IO & network performance, etc like?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@superpete said: What's the processor, IO & network performance, etc like?

@Spirit posted everything on the first page in this very thread.

• @rm_ said: @Spirit posted everything on the first page in this very thread.

Ooops not sure how I missed that! Very excited about them having capacity in AU. I lodged a ticket, but there's no ETA at the moment, but I guess I can play with another location while I'm waiting.

I am using Exigent in Syndey now, and while they've been good, it's only a 10Mbit port. Was hoping this might be an affordable replacement.