Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PPTPD Built at BuyVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PPTPD Built at BuyVM

jaxyanjaxyan Member
edited November 2011 in General

i tried building pptpd at Buyvm openvz.
found that android phone could access it without problem (like unsupported protocol).
why many of those openvz provider can't.
so rare abt that.

is it related to the OS template?

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

PPTP requires modifications to each container to actually support it, the devices need to be made for you and many kernel modules need to be loaded on the node.

There isn't any public automation to allow this, and we ended up simply writing our own code to handle this when we started.

Francisco

• hi francisco,

thanks for reply ;)

what i am curious is that even the container enabled tun/tap, the pptp to android was still a panic, able to connect but fail to load pages from internet.

so do you mean it's related to the OS template and it's tailor made for pptp usage, am i getting your meaning right( sorry my english was bad)

• If it's not letting you browse through the VPN, it's quite possible that your forwarding isn't set. Check in /etc/sysctl.conf , and make sure net.ipv4.ip_forward=1 is uncommented. Afterwards, run sysctl -p or restart the VPS for it to take effect.

• thanks aldryic.

i did edit sysctl.conf and running 'sysctl -p'
    it work very well on iphone but not the android phone.

that's why i am curious if it's related OS template.

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited November 2011

Hrm, now that's odd. I wonder if it is Droid-related... I just tested pptp on debian with my own 'Droid (on the HTC HD2), and also could not establish a connection. Check your tail /var/logs/syslog, see if you get something like this:

Nov  4 04:57:54 Inhert pptpd[1672]: CTRL: Client 173.217.255.178 control connection started
    Nov  4 04:57:54 Inhert pptpd[1672]: CTRL: Starting call (launching pppd, opening GRE)
    Nov  4 04:57:54 Inhert pppd[1673]: Plugin /usr/lib/pptpd/pptpd-logwtmp.so loaded.
    Nov  4 04:57:54 Inhert pppd[1673]: pppd 2.4.5 started by root, uid 0
    Nov  4 04:57:54 Inhert pppd[1673]: Using interface ppp0
    Nov  4 04:57:54 Inhert pppd[1673]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/1
    Nov  4 04:57:54 Inhert pptpd[1672]: GRE: Bad checksum from pppd.
    Nov  4 04:57:54 Inhert pptpd[1672]: CTRL: EOF or bad error reading ctrl packet length.
    Nov  4 04:57:54 Inhert pptpd[1672]: CTRL: couldn't read packet header (exit)
    Nov  4 04:57:54 Inhert pptpd[1672]: CTRL: CTRL read failed
    Nov  4 04:57:54 Inhert pptpd[1672]: CTRL: Reaping child PPP[1673]
    Nov  4 04:57:54 Inhert pppd[1673]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
    Nov  4 04:57:54 Inhert pppd[1673]: Modem hangup
    Nov  4 04:57:54 Inhert pppd[1673]: Connection terminated.
    Nov  4 04:57:54 Inhert pppd[1673]: Exit.
    Nov  4 04:57:54 Inhert pptpd[1672]: CTRL: Client 173.217.255.178 control connection finished

I probably won't have time to really look into it this weekend, but perhaps sometime early next week I can dive in and see what I can figure out.

• that's the point.
    I can connect to and surf net from buyvm built pptp.
    but i can't do it from other openvz provider.
    that's what i want to know how to do it.
    besides,

i firstly think of mtu problem.
    so i just use iptables and the pptpd configuration files to set mtu.
    but still failed.~

• I'm not sure if this specifically applies to this problem, but run a search on google for pptp and android and a lot of people are have/had issues with it.

• So your BuyVM works for your Droid, then? Or did I misread that?

(I'm testing on my own BuyVM, though hadn't tried connecting with anything other than my droid yet)

• i am using S2.
    wonder if it's S2 issues.

• would it be the kernel makes pptpd effective to android phones?

@jaxyan said: would it be the kernel makes pptpd effective to android phones?

PPTPD is PPTPD, what I can recommend is make sure you're using poptop :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1jaxyan
  • jaxyanjaxyan Member
    edited November 2011

@.. i am a bit dizzy now.
    so wat i am using is pptpd, am i right?
    i use "aptitude install pptpd" command.

• This is getting confusing...

Conclusion: If pptpd works in BuyVM, good for you.

Most providers doesn't have these modules enabled, thats why doesn't work.

• thanks,

another providers says they enabled ppp modules as buyvm did.
    while using other providers, i could connect to poptop(pptpd), but fail to surf net, even forward gre and 1723 as well as NAT.

while buyvm can.

what my confusion is that.
    i want to know if it's the kernel make the android-to-poptop(pptpd) works.

if the answer was really about the kernel.
    i could stop finding out the causes ;)

p.s.: i knew there are many documents showing android phone have some issues on poptop(pptpd).

@jaxyan said: another providers says they enabled ppp modules as buyvm did. while using other providers, i could connect to poptop(pptpd), but fail to surf net, even forward gre and 1723 as well as NAT.

Many say, very few do :) There's a lot of modules to load as well as other things. Simply loading the kernel modules doesn't suddenly make it work.

Francisco

• And your iptables -L results are?

• Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
    target prot opt source destination

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
    SNAT all -- anywhere anywhere to:209.141.60.198

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    ACCEPT gre -- anywhere anywhere
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp spt:1723

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    ACCEPT gre -- anywhere anywhere
    ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:1723

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

wait, did you made your mppe module so Android phones can connect? you must share the code! :D

• i didn't. i've googled but can't find any patch for android phones connect to mppe without issues.

• If you want to use PPTPD just stick with Buyvm or look for some XEN or KVM competitors :)

I also had lot of troubles with openvz providers, claiming they can activate PPTPD

@Christian said: I also had lot of troubles with openvz providers, claiming they can activate PPTPD

Got some names? I'm always curious about who's actually delivering on promises.

• It isn't all that hard to activate PPTPD on OpenVZ. Some providers are just lazy I guess. Meh.

• @Francisco said: Got some names? I'm always curious about who's actually delivering on promises.

>

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/it-experts-ltd-3-50-euro-256mb-openvz-vps-in-france/

When I asked them in a support ticket, if it is possible they said no problem. When I ordered and asked for pptpd they said that they are not supporting it at the moment. I think they are operating now under a new name, aren't they?

I also remember virpus failing delivering pptpd for me back in early 2010.

This is what I remember, but I know there was a lot more providers, who failed on this.

• hey... i am curious too.
    even i was using xen..
    pptpd was failed to use for android...

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

That's why I made L2TP for Androids, and PPTP for others

• Just gave this a whirl on 2x OpenVZ and 1x XEN 1x KVM.

PPTPD with mppe encryption result:
    Connect but cannot browse.
    tcpdump -i ppp0 was showing traffic bouncing in and out, but the samsung andriod phones were a no go(time outs)

However, on Xen and KVM - IPSec/Pre-Shared work fine here.(Using first result from market for 'pptp' as the client app.)

• WhizzWrWhizzWr Member
    edited November 2011

I'm on Virpus cheapest plan and PPTP is working fine with MPP Encryption enabled, my host node doesn't have MPPC module installed, though. So no compression.

I do have working iptables NAT configs and GRE rules, so yes traffic forwarding works.
    Working flawlessly when tested on my router and Windows client.

I haven't tried it with Android, yet. (I'm gonna ask my friends for letting me to use his phone like soonish) :D
    So far it doesn't currently work on my so-yesterday S60v3 phone (using SymVPN).

I'll get back to you when when I got the result.

• I have a s60v5 and I am unable to use SymVPN, some numeric error code and fail u_u You can use it somewhere?

• I have a s60v5 and I am unable to use SymVPN, some numeric error code and fail u_u You can use it somewhere?

Yep, the test VPN account provided in telexy website is working fine
    try this:
    -host: connect.swissvpn.net
    -username & pass: swissvpntest

Obviously, you can only browse around www.swissvpn.net :)

Worth to be noted, the pirated version of SymVPN is known to be non-working, you'd better use their trial for proper test.

• I tried the trial!
    (And also that version... :P )
    Same results u_u

Maybe a firmware issue