Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to start a small hosting and domain registration service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Want to start a small hosting and domain registration service

Hello,

Actually i need some help and information if you guys can help. I want to start a small web hosting and domain registration service for my local clients so what i want to know is should i start with a Hosting Reseller, VPS or from a small dedicated server? (I have experience of working with all especially VPS). Most sites are going to be wordpress so do you think a VPS with around 4GB ram and 4 shared cores can handle 40-50 wordpress websites without creating huge load? (i don't want to get suspended every other day)

Also i want to know which domain reseller should i use? I don't like those domain registrar with huge setup fees or security deposits so is there anyone without it but with good prices so that i can also make some profit instead of selling them on same price? I am planning to use WHMCS so it should have API features like dns, forwarding etc etc to be used with WHMCS.

I have more questions too i will ask them later. I hope i will get some good replies. Thank you

Comments

• Reseller services would be a good start
    Domain registrar ~ Namesilo
    SSL ~ gogetssl
    Billing ~ WHMCS / Blesta
    Load depends on traffic

• @century1stop thanks buddy what about Namesilo is there any setup charges or security deposit involved? or is it just like namecheap a registrar but you can use their API to register domains.

Also i want to ask if i go for a cheap dedicated server will you recommend cloudlinux? I want restrict user resources

• 4GB ram/4 Cores dealing with 50 wordpress sites...it can be done but wordpress can be very resource intensive specially when you are dealing with multiple plugins, so you need to make sure everything is well optimized or you will have problems down the line.

• @PremiumN What if i get a cheap xeon dedicated server? As i asked earlier is it good to use cloudlinux and is it really help in restricting use of resources? Or i should leave it?

What other stuff you guys will recommend for a start?

Here is one of my plan for now: (i will see if my starting budget can allow all this and if VPS and Reseller don't suit my needs)

A dedicated server
    Cpanel license
    Cloudlinux license
    WHMcs license

is there anything else that's necessary? How much budget do you guys think i need for this? I think all these 3 licenses will cost me around $55?

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited January 2016

Namesilo API link https://www.namesilo.com/Support/API-Manager
    reseller link https://www.namesilo.com/account_discount_program.php
    you can also submit a ticket for our completely white label (own domain) vps reseller solution

software can't do wonders, better to have good hardware

• UknownUknown Member
    edited January 2016

@century1stop Thanks for links.

How good is OVH $69/month plan? It got Intel Xeon D-1520 with 32 GB ram. Is it good enough for a start?

• Master Reseller or Alpha Reseller will feet your needs for the start. No need for a VPS or Dedicated Server when you start a new business.

• Nic_20TBSSDNic_20TBSSD Member
    edited January 2016

@Uknown said:
    century1stop Thanks for links.

How good is OVH $69/month plan? It got Intel Xeon D-1520 with 32 GB ram. Is it good enough for a start?

Might be a bit of an overkill on the OVH dedi @MinisterHost_NET just might have a good start for you, id spend a bit less and do reseller hosting and spend a few bucks other little things needed. Try and keep a low reoccurring cost when starting up.

Thanked by 1MisterHost_NET
  • FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited January 2016

A alpha reseller requires Zamfoo, which in my opinion, is as bad as zPanel in terms of security.

Zamfoo = FREE ROOT ACCESS

In this case though, you use WHMPHP.

A good solution would be to get a large KVM VPS or a fair sized dedicated server (16GB+ RAM & E3xxx processor). If you can't manage it yourself, get a reseller from a reputable provider like BuyShared.

@Francisco

edited January 2016

well, that server as mentioned may be an overkill, but if you have the resources ($$$)..........
    @MisterHost_NET may have a good deal for you :)

• @FlamesRunner said:
    A alpha reseller requires Zamfoo, which in my opinion, is as bad as zPanel in terms of security.

Zamfoo = FREE ROOT ACCESS

A good solution would be to get a large KVM VPS or a fair sized dedicated server (16GB+ RAM & E3xxx processor). If you can't manage it yourself, get a reseller from a reputable provider like BuyShared.

Francisco

Am talking about hosted solution not to purchase licenses. Btw. There are some secure Alpha Platforms.

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited January 2016

Was editing my post, apparently you beat me :/

Edit: Isn't it already overkill to need an alpha reseller anyways? He is only housing client WordPress sites.

• @FlamesRunner said:
    Was editing my post, apparently you beat me :/

Edit: Isn't it already overkill to need an alpha reseller anyways? He is only housing client WOULD sites.

In my opinion no. If you calculate the cost of a VPS + cPanel + CloudLinux, Alpha Reseller will be at ~50% cheaper.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

OP, it's a little bit old but you might want to read the book "Your first 1,000 clients in web hosting". You can easily find it by googling for the PDF. Lots of good advice for a new web host.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • Get a reseller to start, you can then upgrade to a vps with a panel license. It's the best thing you can do, start small and build up once you start to get the hang of it. A domain reseller is usually free, depends on what company you go with, we do a free domain reseller program. But starting off small is always the best idea

• Uknown said: How good is OVH $69/month plan? It got Intel Xeon D-1520 with 32 GB ram. Is it good enough for a start?

It is and for those who say it's overkill, you have more than enough room for expansion. 4 CPUs and 8GB RAM is more than generous for CloudLinux. CL is well worth the $10/mo license from LicenseCube as you grow and expand. If you run the cPanel server as a VM, such as using Proxmox, you could increase the size of the RAM as needed then when you get a second server continue to use the first server as a webserver.

• Thanks guys for your replies! My only concern going for a Reseller is that what if the Reseller isn't a reliable one? And i don't have any thing in my hand to tell my clients when they start shouting after a down time, or if there is no backup etc so most likely i will look like a fool in front of clients

edited January 2016

hahaha
    shout back? :D

@Uknown said:
    Thanks guys for your replies! My only concern going for a Reseller is that what if the Reseller isn't a reliable one? And i don't have any thing in my hand to tell my clients when they start shouting after a down time, or if there is no backup etc so most likely i will look like a fool in front of clients

• get a good kvm vps or small dedicated with a well-known reliable provider and set it up by yourself. that way you may notice or learn some things and be able to restore repair it yourself.
    prepare for the worst case as shit will happen. think about and do backups BEFORE that!
    regular snapshots come in handy as do rsyncs to another machine.
    neither rely on to much automatic stuff in the beginning nor do so with given setups of not so well known reseller/providers.

if europe is where you want to buy, take a look at hetzners ex41-ssd, 500GB Raid1 SSD and 32 GB should very nice match and give room to expand with not so much costs overall. add a control panel you can deal with and yes, think about using some virtualization tech like proxmox underneath to be able doing snapshots of your setup (e.g to one of their storage boxes)

similar setups should be possible with a lot of providers OVH/SYS, delimiter, dacentec and many more - depends on where you and your clients are located ;-)

• I will suggest, you get a small VPS to learn and start the hosting with a reseller account from a Reliable provider (Bigscoots, Crocweb, MDDhosting, HostWithLove are some excellent ones) and keep local backups for extra security.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Cheepeat OVH dedi, when I had mine with them I got a free plesk licence too.

• Start with a reseller, especially if you're new. I have a reseller from BuyShared as my main offer for my site, but I still get services from other providers every now and then if the need to do so arises.

A dedi or a VPS would be great if you're experienced with working with it by yourself, or if it's a managed one.

• DACDAC Member

Hi,

A VPS or cheap Dedicated should work best for you, and since you have experience using those, I would suggest you go for either one. If you're just starting off, then you could start with a VPS and then upgrade to a Dedi as you grow.
    Although there are cheap Dedicated Servers with cPanel included, so you will just have to pay for the Server plus CloudLinux and the WHMCS, which all together would be approximately $80.

• @pbgben said:
    Cheepeat OVH dedi, when I had mine with them I got a free plesk licence too.

are they offering only plesk license for free or cpanel too with any offer?

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@Uknown said:

No, it only mentions the 30Domain licence. CPanel is 25GBP or 9GBP if its visualized?

• valid for hosting servers

@Uknown said:

• @Uknown said:

Because you are new company, Go away from OVH (without support), find a company that give friendly support, there is no problem with unmanaged VPS, but with friendly support