Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jane Peters and Los Angeles Living - dealing with nightmare customers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Jane Peters and Los Angeles Living - dealing with nightmare customers

unusedunused Member
edited November 2012 in General

http://www.mikedvb.com/2012/10/30/jane-peters_los-angeles-living_unreasonable/

(From http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1205591)

Youch. So how do folks on LEB deal with nightmare customers like this, or is there such a low expectation of service/support? Customers just happy to get their $2-5 worth out of a box while it's up, and providers deadpool only to come back in a month or two for another pump and dump ?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Well I'll tell you what I don't do......that. I get defending your name but seriously, I wouldn't even call out the worst client like that.

• RandyRandy Member
    edited November 2012

Mike is killing his rep. there is no need to post such things. esp about your customer

• @jarland said: Well I'll tell you what I don't do......that. I get defending your name but seriously, I wouldn't even call out the worst client like that.

Why are you so nice @jarland

@TheHackBox I fart in your general direction!

• I have to agree with @Randy (surprising as that is). This comes across to me as really unprofessional. I'd have second thoughts about any provider who was willing to disclose names and details like this on one of their clients for the sake of making an angry blog post.

• @jarland, @Randy, really? In a way Mike has a pair. What is it with the "Customer is always right" mentality? I guess I was thinking about the question more in terms of support for LEB, but with the race to the bottom on pricing for any type of "Hosting" it's more broadly applicable.

While this "Jane Peters" - obviously clueless - can post whatever she wants, no matter how one sided, do service providers really need to hold themselves to some higher moral standard? Yes in her case she's the "clueless grandma" we all know and love - and isn't likely to pull out the ion cannon and aim it at Mike, but still...

edited November 2012

It's not about who's right or wrong or who has a bigger pair. It's neither a situation of "hey let's let clients walk all over us" or playground politics. It's about who is mature enough to walk away and not engage in petty fights. As Jarland I like to argue, as Jarland of Catalyst I leave our differences in our tickets and if you choose not to then that's your deal, I don't compromise my business integrity over a client.

I would never do business with him after that, not because I'd be like that client, but because it makes me think he's emotionally unstable and likes to get revenge when people piss him off, and who knows what is going to piss him off tomorrow.

• @Ivraatiems - not sure about disclosing - in this case, her name is her site/brand (and she's a realtor - with all her info massively advertised) - but this fact aside, why can't or shouldn't a service provider post warnings about such customers? What makes it wrong?

• @unused said: @Ivraatiems - not sure about disclosing - in this case, her name is her site/brand (and she's a realtor - with all her info massively advertised) - but this fact aside, why can't or shouldn't a service provider post warnings about such customers? What makes it wrong?

It's against privacy policy. Disclosing this information as a provider isn't right. I don't think providers do and should go around posting every problem customer.

• @jarland - just like Jane Peters name / brand and reputation are critical to her business, an ongoing negative review impacts a service provider like Mike. Playground politics aside how else should a service provider get their side of the story out there?

That said, Mike's post while dumbed down isn't likely to impress his target customer base (non technical shared hosting) and I agree would likely alienate potential customers.

• @concerto49 said: It's against privacy policy. Disclosing this information as a provider isn't right. I don't think providers do and should go around posting every problem customer.

Her blog is her name - she posted publicly. I don't think you can say in this case he's violated any sort of privacy policy. That point aside, how do you feel about responding or posting reviews on customers?

• The fact that he is posting this 10 months after she posted her original blog post is strange.

• @unused said: Her blog is her name - she posted publicly. I don't think you can say in this case he's violated any sort of privacy policy. That point aside, how do you feel about responding or posting reviews on customers?

As long as the customer disclosed the information themselves, then that's fine. Happy to respond to reviews by customers provided that no extra private information is disclosed. Will not be posting reviews about customers. Happy to refund a bad customer and let them go, but will not be shouting about it. We respect their privacy. This is from the point of view of a provider, not the media.

• @mojeda - agreed, kind of strange. I guess, 10 months of build up and then nerd rage? Maybe it's ranking higher in search results or something.

@unused The real question is what the heck service do you provide. You designed that web page just to make me ask that, I know you did...

• @concerto49 Precisely what I'm saying... @unused, the problem is that this post was not her choice, and the terms of her agreement with Mike's hosting company are not the same as the terms of her posting elsewhere, which she consciously elected to do. The support tickets should be covered by a privacy agreement, and there's a reasonable expectation of confidentiality regardless.

But even if it's legally fine, which it might be depending on their privacy policy, it's still in my opinion a crude thing to do, and it doesn't speak very highly of the host's opinions of his customers.

• Mike is an extremely nice guy in my experience, so it probably ate him up a lot more than we think to write that up.

• I'll mirror that once I can figure out what domain to put it on, I still don't get the point of him posting this months after this all happened.

• TMDHosting is becoming worse, companies growing in a nutshell.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@unused said: So how do folks on LEB deal with nightmare customers like this

I post before they can. :D

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@zen

Where are you and why you did not write this failure on your website?

• Cause you are going to get a dickslap soon. There is nothing wrong here. Wait Yo No Habla Engle!

• He removed the post, good for him. It was a stupid thing to do that while breaking his company's privacy policy.

• Nothing wrong with what he posted. No privacy was compromised.

• @Wintereise said: Mike is an extremely nice guy in my experience, so it probably ate him up a lot more than we think to write that up.

My thoughts exactly.

@GIANT_CRAB said: TMDHosting is becoming worse, companies growing in a nutshell.

Isn't he from MDDHosting? Or am I missing your point?

• @mpkossen said: Isn't he from MDDHosting? Or am I missing your point?

I misread it to TMDHosting I think.

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member
    edited November 2012

@Corey said: Nothing wrong with what he posted. No privacy was compromised.

Actually yes, she was a client of his company and both parties agreed to MDD privacy policy. Which is basically "We do not share or disclose information"

Him posting on his private site is a third party total violation and leak of the company's policy.

If you think nothing is wrong with that then you are seriously misguided. Not only are you a risk to clients but are a risk to your own company by way of litigation.

If you look at some of the wording he used its completely inappropriate aside from the privacy issue.

The post was removed after I posted this: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?p=8408246&postcount=29

• @HC_Ro I suppose an adjustment to the privacy policy (which likely says it can be updated at any time w/o notice) may be in order.

On that note, I have actually seen providers that explicitly say they will expose information if negative reviews are left, or try to charge fees, etc. An exact link escapes me now - but imagine a provider that says "You agree to a charge of $1000 for posting a review of our service online"

• I suppose there wont be any further response, I am no lawyer but I would bet its illegal to have those terms =)

If there's any YDGH clients then you should probably leave as Cory is advocating that he is willing to disclose any PII of a client and total lack of any policy aside from:

We reserve the right to disclose any of your information to law enforcement agencies > without consent from subscriber upon lawful request.