Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

easiest way to backup 4 machines?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

easiest way to backup 4 machines?

LeechumLeechum Member
edited January 2016 in General

Hi, looking for some tips here. What would be the easiest way to backup 4 clients to buyvm storage vps? I was thinking about setting up OwnCloud but it seems people are complaining that it's kinda unreliable with big number of files. The clients are all Windows based. FTP is out of the question due to overhead and lack of encryption. Any other ideas?

Thanked by 1rokok

Comments

• @Leechum said:
    Hi, looking for some tips here. What would be the easiest way to backup 4 clients to buyvm storage vps? I was thinking about setting up OwnCloud but it seems people are complaining that it's kinda unreliable with big number of files. The clients are all Windows based. FTP is out of the question due to overhead and lack of encryption. Any other ideas?

Own Cloud can be horrid. I use it at home as it's the best solution for a family. I use it on Atoms in US

Thanked by 1Leechum
  • TinyTunnel_Tom said: Own Cloud can be horrid

That's what I've heard. Testing it for last few months, but with relatively small number of files (~2k), but don't want to risk moving all backups if it's unreliable.

• WHTWHT Member

CDP.me?

• @WHT said:
    CDP.me?

cdp.me what?

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited January 2016

@Leechum said:
    cdp.me what?

It's a domain: https://cdp.me

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited January 2016

nvm

• CDP.me isnt the best I will add I have had issues with that also

• @Traffic said:
    It's a domain: https://cdp.me

I know it's a domain. And a script. I'm looking for client solutions, if that wasn't clear enough from my OP.

• @Leechum said:
    I know it's a domain. And a script. I'm looking for client solutions, if that wasn't clear enough from my OP.

Okay, fuck you too.

Thanked by 2GM2015 WHT
  • rsync?

• Traffic said: Okay, fuck you too.

I must have missed the moment I've said something inappropriate to you, can you refresh my memory?

• @gitreset said:
    rsync?

do you know of any user friendly rsync clients for windows? the cwrsync one looks awful, and I have a feeling that configuring and using it will be dreadful

• @Leechum said:
    I must have missed the moment I've said something inappropriate to you, can you refresh my memory?

I didn't even suggest that script to you yet it's me who you argue with about it instead of politely saying "I knew that, thanks anyway" or just nothing.

So yes, going against the rules of common sense is inappropriate.

• LeechumLeechum Member
    edited January 2016

@Traffic said:
    So yes, going against the rules of common sense is inappropriate.

Letting you know what I'm looking for is "going against the rules of common sense"? Maybe where you are from. I'm lost for words.... and how exactly does that warrant a "fuck you"?

• Traffic said: Okay, fuck you too.

Oh man. You never ceases to amaze me.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • WHTWHT Member

@Leechum said:
    Letting you know what I'm looking for is "going against the rules of common sense"? Maybe where you are from. I'm lost for words.... and how exactly does that warrant a "fuck you"?

Its like welcome on let, nothing personal :)

Thanked by 1perennate
  • FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited January 2016

Leechum said: cwrsync one looks awful

Okay, suggest him backup software that looks nice, working reliable isn't as important as a nice design for him.

But seriously, it's as easy as writing the rsync command into a file and you're almost done. The old and awfully designed software usually works the best.

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • @Leechum said:

Please read my explanation again. If you still have doubts, try doing it once again.

Thanks.

P.S.: @Frecyboy has the answer to the original question ;)

• @Frecyboy said:
    But seriously, it's as easy as writing the rsync command into a file and you're almost done. The old and awfully designed software usually works the best.

Since I will be using two of the machines, and the other two belongs to people that will see a challenge in using the software you proposed they will end up not using it. I never said anything about reliability, I'm looking for a solution that will be somehow user friendly. That's not much, isn't it?

• FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited January 2016

Leechum said: Since I will be using two of the machines, and the other two belongs to people that will see a challenge in using the software you proposed they will end up not using it. I never said anything about reliability, I'm looking for a solution that will be somehow user friendly. That's not much, isn't it?

You COULD write a little application that initiates rsync and shows a process bar etc....
    Or even start it every couple of weeks using that windows cron equivalent.

Or probably something like this, idk if you can automate it http://www.areca-backup.org/ or http://fullsync.sourceforge.net/index.php

Thanked by 1Leechum
  • Can you run crashplan on that buyvm server? You can use Crashplan's friend feature to have them backup to your buyvm VPS. I never tried this, but it might work and its free. I think Acronis can back up via SFTP but that's expensive.

Thanked by 2Leechum ATHK
  • thanks for the tips, but seeing none of the solutions are noob friendly I decided to go for idrive 1TB offer and sync it with buyvm afterwards

• Set them up syncthing with synctrayzor

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited January 2016

Safe and secure

We’ll secure and protect your files with military grade encryption

Military grade encryption is another name for aes 256.

Universal access

Access via computers and mobiles or simply from any browser

Not just, you but the curious ears at government also hear about your great information and we share with them every gossip you save, withour your consent.

IDrive Express™

Transfer data up to 3 TB to the cloud account within a week, with no bandwidth utilization

Partnered with the biggest airlines, we'll take your data and drives to the cloud and test whether they can sit there on the clouds or drop on the ground.

Dropbox is also popular with people anyway.

Leechum said: thanks for the tips, but seeing none of the solutions are noob friendly I decided to go for idrive 1TB offer and sync it with buyvm afterwards

• @guerrilla said:
    Can you run crashplan on that buyvm server? You can use Crashplan's friend feature to have them backup to your buyvm VPS. I never tried this, but it might work and its free. I think Acronis can back up via SFTP but that's expensive.

+1 for crash plan.

• sinsin Member

I use that free Duplicati program to backup my Windows machines to a storage VPS and a dedicated server. Duplicati has a nice little gui and allows you to do encrypted backups/restore, set when the backup runs, etc...I just use their SFTP/SSH option.

• I've used duplicati and it chops your files to tens to hundreds of pieces and also has a vendor lock in. You can't restore your files without duplicait elsewhere. Or if you lose your signature files or whatever it makes, you're also out of luck.

sin said: I use that free Duplicati program to backup my Windows machines to a storage VPS and a dedicated server. Duplicati has a nice little gui and allows you to do encrypted backups/restore, set when the backup runs, etc...I just use their SFTP/SSH option.