Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

123Systems Reduces Processor Clock Rates When Delivering Additional Paid Cores
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

123Systems Reduces Processor Clock Rates When Delivering Additional Paid Cores

emgemg Veteran

I have been reading a thread on WHT and found it so interesting that I want to share it here. The short summary is that a customer paid extra to upgrade their single core VPS to add an additional processor core. The original single core ran at 1.2 Ghz. The two new cores run at 600 Mhz each. The OP called it sneaky.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1540541

Thanked by 2rokok Corey

Comments

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

But he gets 2 cores now. /sarcasm

• PieNotEvenEaten said: But he gets 2 cores now. /sarcasm

Thanked by 1PieHasBeenEaten
  • sinsin Member

Why are people still ordering from 123Systems in the first place?

• I am not fully sure, but is something like this:

Their machines have cores at 2.4Ghz.

They capped the CPU to 50%, and that's their practice always ¬_¬

Then added the 2nd core, but without modifying that other limit to 100%, so OpenVZ puts both to 25+25 or 600Mhz each one.

But anyway, they should change it to the right value, at least 1.2 + 1.2

• emgemg Veteran

It is too late to edit my original post, but perhaps I should have commented that 123Systems is a very poor provider, based on so many published bad experiences and bad reviews. I have never been a customer, and would never be one either. I assumed that everyone knew that.

I agree that there are several VPS providers where I ask, why would anyone buy from them? It is one of the mysteries of the universe. 123Systems is one of those providers.

• ErnieErnie Patron Provider, Veteran

The servers are Intel XEON E3-1240s they have power saver modes and when the server is not under a load the CPU reduces automatically.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

As @ernie has commented the user is incorrect. What you are seeing is a stepped clock setting. The cpu speed increases as the work load on the cpu increases.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Indeed, for once it is extremely likely that the user was wrong and 123Systems did nothing wrong. The frequencies were changing over time, so it was SpeedStep for sure.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • Nyr said: Indeed, for once it is extremely likely that the user was wrong and 123Systems did nothing wrong. The frequencies were changing over time, so it was SpeedStep for sure.

Sarcasm or real?

AFAIK newer processors don't get that low (600Mhz).

And also, if I puto some load on the server automatically it should step up the clocks, right? And I guess this doesn't happen.

• OpenVZ allows setting the clock speed below that of the actual CPU clock frequency. They can set it to whatever they want to and OpenVZ throttles the user. Most providers don't mess with this, but I've seen some that do.

• I'm not sure if you're serious.

yomero said: Sarcasm or real?

• jbiloh said: As @ernie has commented the user is incorrect. What you are seeing is a stepped clock setting. The cpu speed increases as the work load on the cpu increases.

I don't know if the situation has changed in the almost 2 years since I've done hosting support, but don't users usually complain when ondemand is in effect?

• Rallias said: don't users usually complain

Yes, users will complain if the sun rises in the East, sets in the West, if rain is wet, or wind blows. Pick your poison.

Thanked by 2Nyr Francisco
  • This doesn't surprise me in the slightest. About a year ago, I tried using 123Systems. They messed up my VPS at least 3 times and they were always down. I never actually used the VPS for anything apart from a teamspeak server but it really just shows how useless they were.

Thanked by 1GM2015