Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[1 Script a day] A new GitHub project
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[1 Script a day] A new GitHub project

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited January 2016 in General

Welcome to the "ScriptADay"-Project
This non profit project was initiated by myself at January 5th 2016.

What is it all about?
The project is meant to be a public place to share all kinds of automatic Unix installation scripts such as Stacks (LAMP, LEMP...), Game-/Voiceservers, CMS (WordPress, Joomla...).

What is the use of this?
By offering a somewhat community driven Bitnami alternative the project aims to provide you, your customers, and anyone else associated in VPS usage to quickly install whatever they want on their server by simply downloading the script from GitHub and executing it on the VPS.

Who is behind all this?
As of now, just me. But I hope that is not the final numbers of contributors. In fact everyone can feel free to contribute automatic installation scripts to the GitHub repository.

Why should I contribute?
In order to spare all of us the hassle of paying for a Softaculous kinda license and support those who don't have the knowlege/funds to still enjoy their VPS. Wheter it is your customers, a friend of yours, yourself, or another party.

How can I contribute?
Please contribute your scripts or commit script fixes at our GitHub repository: https://github.com/scriptaday/unix-scripts/

Why is this project called "Script-A-Day"?
This is the slogan that motivates me, and hopefully others to contribute atleast one script a day. This way we will have a continous growth of scripts in our collection.

Current Scripts available at Script-A-Day(by alphabetical order):

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

• LAMP (ubuntu)

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

• Teamspeak 3 (ubuntu)

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

Thanked by 2yomero cassa

Comments

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited January 2016

You could probably find and copy existing scripts from github and modify for your own use. No contest involved.

• so we create scripts, and you use them to promote your VPS company? pass.

• @GM2015 said:
    You could probably find and copy existing scripts from github and modify for your own use. No contest involved.

I will also do that :) It's just about having as many scripts in one place :P Of course ppl could add #Instructions to help ppl learn along it :P

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2016

@hostnoob said:
    so we create scripts, and you use them to promote your VPS company? pass.

No. We collect scripts from the net and make some ourselves to store in a public github which everyone has access to. Cant see why you wouldnt be able to use it then?

• @Ympker said:
    No. We collect scripts from the net and make some ourselves to store in a public github which everyone has access to. Cant see why you wouldn't be able to use it then?

If all you wanted to do is create a public repo of scripts why bring up your creating a VPS company. The project sounds fine, maybe even a website that contains more information on each script and has better searching and navigation. But adding your creating a VPS company makes it sound like you want to have lots of scripts for your customers so you need some help and that's why you say community driven.

I'm siding on the same side with @hostnoob

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2016

@Ympker if the github organization and project are named something like "scriptaday" with no reference to your company anywhere, then people would probably be fine with it. I think the confusion is from the initial post it sounded like the project might be affiliated with your company, like github.com/yourcompany/scriptaday and linking to yourcompany.com in README or something instead of just a neutral github.com/scriptaday/scriptaday project.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Advertisement, no thanks!

• Just fork the scripts and add features would be good.

• @perennate said:
    Ympker if the github orzganization and project are named something like "scriptaday" with no reference to your company anywhere, then people would probably be fine with it. I think the confusion is from the initial post it sounded like the project might be affiliated with your company, like github.com/yourcompany/scriptaday and linking to yourcompany.com in README or something instead of just a neutral github.com/scriptaday/scriptaday project.

Yea i see your point. Ive edited the main post now and to prevent further confusion: this project is not affiliated with my company at all and will have a white label name like 1scriptaday.

• @0xdragon said:
    Advertisement, no thanks!

Where did i mention advertisement?

• @masterqqq said:
    Just fork the scripts and add features would be good.

Good idea :)

• So I guess I will use the following: github.com/scriptaday/archieve

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

So much negativity in this thread I'm gonna have to shower to wash it all off...

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @jarland said:
    So much negativity in this thread I'm gonna have to shower to wash it all off...

Yeah. Well seems I kinda misphrased the whole idea which lead to quite the confusion.

• Glad to announce that the first two scripts have been added :)
    The scripts are: LAMP and ts3server

• teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited January 2016

@Ympker said:
    Glad to announce that the first two scripts have been added :)
    The scripts are: LAMP and ts3server

I hope you understand how GitHub works? Why not just go and actually make a fork of the script repo of the scripts instead of making a single repo and squashing them into it?

GitHub gives you all the nice features and things. You don't use them.

• Well that's because I am not very familar with
    GitHub yet. However I am sure I will work it out somehow :P

• You can make your repo just a list and link to actual scripts repo/site if all you want is an archive. IF you haf your hand created scripts, add them to a repo and link them as well. It's better to link/fork repos in order to keep them updated. In some rare cases; shdowsocks for example, the repos goes awol, for that cases you may fork but other than that, linking is just ok, actually way better than stealing and keeping outdated scripts.

• @Nomad said:
    You can make your repo just a list and link to actual scripts repo/site if all you want is an archive. IF you haf your hand created scripts, add them to a repo and link them as well. It's better to link/fork repos in order to keep them updated. In some rare cases; shdowsocks for example, the repos goes awol, for that cases you may fork but other than that, linking is just ok, actually way better than stealing and keeping outdated scripts.

That's acctually quite the good idea :) I just need to figure out how it all works. However if the project i "link" is discontinued/destroyed won't the code be gone, too? So it's not bad to have it cloned, eh? And of course I plan on adding own scripts aswell :)

• FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited January 2016

Let me guess, you , erm, "upgraded" the teamspeak install script a bit?

sudo apt-get install tmux mailutils postfix curl libmariadb2

Absolutely necessary for a teamspeak server!

• @Frecyboy said:
    Let me guess, you , erm, "upgraded" the teamspeak install script a bit?

sudo apt-get install tmux mailutils postfix curl libmariadb2

Absolutely necessary for a teamspeak server!

Not surprised if a botnet script comes soon.

• @theroyalstudent said:
    Not surprised if a botnet script comes soon.

This is acctually from Daniel Ghibs repository https://github.com/dgibbs64/linuxgsm .

Anyway I take it, some people are not really liking what I am doing there. Nonetheless I will continue to update my script collection and keep you guys updated.

This is how I would install a TeamSpeak Server:

wget >http://dl.4players.de/ts/releases/3.0.11.3/teamspeak3-server_linux-amd64-3.0.11.3.tar.gz

tar -xzvf teamspeak3-server_linux-amd64->3.0.11.3.tar.gz

cd teamspeak3-server_linux-amd64/

./ts3server_startscript.sh start

I just used Daniel Ghibs script as it is being updated due to directly linked to his repository.

• @Ympker said:

Ah, I see.

It's cool that you're doing this, but maybe you wanna do something like, automatic updating of the scripts? Say, you run a cron job to check if the original source has changed, and if yes, just replace and push to your repository?

Pretty sure that would help a lot with keeping everything updated.

• @Ympker said:
    That's acctually quite the good idea :) I just need to figure out how it all works. However if the project i "link" is discontinued/destroyed won't the code be gone, too? So it's not bad to have it cloned, eh? And of course I plan on adding own scripts aswell :)

Use GitHub's fork feature then. But you should update your forked repositories every once in a while. For those scripts that you create, just link to your own repo. For scripts that doesn't have a GitHub repository, create one yourself and link to the original site at your README file.

• Well guess I will try to get familar with GitHub and improve the whole thing a bit about the next couple days :) Right now I am also writing a WordPress, Proftpd and MediaWiki install script :)

• I prefer Docker for this these days, easy as lego :-)

• @classy said:
    I prefer Docker for this these days, easy as lego :-)

How about those on OpenVZ boxes haha

• theroyalstudent said: How about those on OpenVZ boxes haha

I stopped using OpenVZ years ago because I couldn't run Cloudlinux, do no exec mounts etc.

So never really bothered with Docker on OpenVZ as it's broken in so many ways anyway :-/

• They're great and cheap if you need low resources and more locations for certain tasks.

classy said: I stopped using OpenVZ years ago because I couldn't run Cloudlinux, do no exec mounts etc.

So never really bothered with Docker on OpenVZ as it's broken in so many ways anyway :-/