Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help for Proxmox 4.0
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help for Proxmox 4.0

A friend of mines is having a problem with proxmox, I have never dealt with it so I am looking for some help to assist him.

This is the information he has given me.

Dual X5650 XEON (24 cores)
48 GB RAM
500GB SSD
1Gbps port

Proxmox Virtual Environment: Version: 4.0-48/0d8559d0
Browser: chromium-browser

I create each VM with the RAW format
I create each VM with 4.5 Gigs of Disk Space
I turned off Simple Cache for HTTP inside of chrome://flags
I turned off all Updates for the OS

I run chromium-browser with the following settings:

--incognito
--disk-cache-dir=/tmp/cache
--process-per-site
--disable-extensions
--disable-sync-preferences
--disable-application-cache
--disable-cache
--disable-gpu-program-cache
--disable-gpu-shader-disk-cache
--disable-offline-load-stale-cache
--disable-backing-store-limit
--disable-zero-copy
--disable-prerender-local-predictor
--disable-local-storage
--disable-logging
--disable-login-animations
--disable-low-res-tiling
--disable-offline-pages
--disable-pinch
--disable-popup-blocking
--disable-session-crashed-bubble
--disable-seccomp-filter-sandbox
--disable-setuid-sandbox
--disable-shared-workers
--disable-site-engagement-service
--disable-smooth-scrolling
--disable-sync
--disable-sync-app-list
--disable-sync-backup
--disable-sync-rollback
--disable-sync-types
--disable-tab-eviction
--disable-threaded-animation
--disable-threaded-scrolling
--disable-timezone-tracking-option
--disable-translate
--disable-async-dns
--disable-cloud-import
--disable-component-update
--disable-zero-copy
--fast
--dns-prefetch-disable

Bridge is configured correctly

Name: vmr0
Type: Linux Bridge
Active: Yes
Autostart: Yes
Ports/Slaves: eth0
IP Address: x.x.x.x (This has the correct IP)
Subnet mask: x.x.x.x (This has the correct Subnet Mask)
Gateway: x.x.x.x (This has the correct Gateway)

So once again, this is when all my VMs are made, it has been running for hours, and the left over disk space, just slowly starts going down.

After all that, my disk space still slowly goes down. Can not figure out why. Any advice would be much appreciated. It goes down a lot more slow now, because of what I have done, but still goes down none of the less.

Thanks!

Comments

• Nic_20TBSSD said: Dual X5650 XEON (24 cores) 48 GB RAM 500GB SSD 1Gbps port

12 Cores.. not 24

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • @TarZZ92 said:

Its quoted exactly from what he sent me so excuse the errors I did not want to change anything or possibly miss replay his message.

• back to the original question perhaps it's just the way you setup the SWAP or something?

• @TarZZ92 said:
    back to the original question perhaps it's just the way you setup the SWAP or something?

Direct Quote

Under the summary tab for the node it says:

SWAP Usage
    Total: 27.87 GB
    Used: 0

So I would say yes but none of it is being used?

• looks okay node wise what about the vps themself?

• @TarZZ92 said:
    looks okay node wise what about the vps themself?

They seem to be configured correctly, ill get more information from him.

• Why not ask your friend to makean account and post it here. So we can discuss it together :)

Thanked by 1Nic_20TBSSD
  • @sirmbhe said:
    Why not ask your friend to makean account and post it here. So we can discuss it together :)

Yea that would be a better option I forwarded the thread to him hopefully he will make an account and get the problem solved a bit faster.

• Hey, this is the friend :) What other information do you need me to provide?

• so probably additional information could be: how much VMs did you create, and show some number about diskusage on the hostnode...

and how are you checking on that diskspace usage?

your RAW diskimages are probably simple sparse files, which only take space as they get filled, so depending on how you are looking on your available diskspace, it may look like filling up as long as the images have sparse room left.

• @Falzo said:
    so probably additional information could be: how much VMs did you create, and show some number about diskusage on the hostnode...

and how are you checking on that diskspace usage?

your RAW diskimages are probably simple sparse files, which only take space as they get filled, so depending on how you are looking on your available diskspace, it may look like filling up as long as the images have sparse room left.

Right now I am working with the first 250 SSD. After Proxmox and the Disk Swap, I have 121.76 GB to use to create VMs. I create 1 template that is 4.40GB RAW and then clone 32 VMs from that template.

After I did all that, I start recording my Disk Space which is under local(IX-0270) > Summary tab.

2.59 GB 1:32 AM (1/4/2016)
    2.57 GB 1:45 AM (1/4/2016)
    2.52 GB 2:00 AM (1/4/2016)
    2.51 GB 2:08 AM (1/4/2016)
    2.01 GB 10:52 AM (1/5/2016)

Now I thought, if the Disk Type is RAW, that it can not use more disk space than what it is assigned? But if that is true, then how does the Available Disk Space under my local(IX-0270) > Summary tab keep going down?

Thanks!

• antfuentes87 said: Now I thought, if the Disk Type is RAW, that it can not use more disk space than what it is assigned?

yes, that is right. but that files are created as sparse files, which means they do not use the assigned size on the disk initially, but only as much as they need.
    they may grow up to their assigned size while they are in use later.

and that is in my assumption why you are seeing your remaining diskspace decreasing.

if you have ~120GB left for creation of your VMs, then how would (1+32)*4.4=145GB fit in this? thus you overcommit diskspace by running on sparse and probably will be running into trouble, when your raw-images can't grow as needed...

just look at the estimated size one of your raw-images is consuming by doing something like du -sh *.raw within one of the dirs holding that images /var/lib/vz/images/
    maybe that clears things out. ;-)

• @Falzo said:

Alright, so I will try getting more disk space and running that command on each .raw :) Thank you!

• Try make one mother VM and cover to template. After this copy this template as linked copy.

• antfuentes87antfuentes87 Member
    edited January 2016

@stalmer said:
    Try make one mother VM and cover to template. After this copy this template as linked copy.

I always create one master VM, then convert to template. But I been using Full, not linked. Will try linked, thank you. What does link do exactly?

• Nothing special, but new Vm are using very lower disc space than full clone

• @stalmer said:
    Nothing special, but new Vm are using very lower disc space than full clone

Well using LINKED copy, allows me to make more VMs and everything last longer. But the Disk Space still is going down. It may stable out tho, so I will keep watching it and see what happens.

• lol. if you want or need to overcommit on diskspace that hard use OVZ and not KVM. you'll be running into problems soon enough.
    BTW: why do you have only 121 GB after proxmox+swap? if you're coming from 250GB it doesn't make sense, the host system should not need anything near 120GB itself.