Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much do you pay for power@Colocations?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much do you pay for power@Colocations?

I have found an offer where I get 125 Watt to start and then pay 0,3$/kwh .
What is the average useage of a dedi box/vps? And what is it you pay at your colocation?

Thanked by 1rokok

Comments

• I pay $10-15 per 110/120V AMP

• As I know they will give you 20A 120V (just 16A 120 V usable)
    the Power cost is related to the Country / city of your Provider

for Dedicated server, you can take this processor : L5630 (80W of Power)and we add 20% for (RAM,HDD,Motherboard ..) so the total is 100W and it's mean

100W/120V = 0.83 A /120V
    So in 20A 120V (just 16A 120 V usable) I can host around 19 DEDICATED SERVER

just 16A 120 V usable because US LAW can't let's you use more than 80% of POwer Port for security purpose

PS: THIS IS AS WHAT AS I KNOW :)

Please let's me know if you have other questions!

Thanked by 1Caster
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Ympker said: What is the average useage of a dedi box/vps?

Highly depends on the hardware.

Ympker said: And what is it you pay at your colocation?

Varies a lot from place to place. You should also consider power redundancy/quality.

• @coreston said:
    As I know they will give you 20A 120V (just 16A 120 V usable)
    the Power cost is related to the Country / city of your Provider

for Dedicated server, you can take this processor : L5630 (80W of Power)and we add 20% for (RAM,HDD,Motherboard ..) so the total is 100W and it's mean

100W/120V = 0.83 A /120V
    So in 20A 120V (just 16A 120 V usable) I can host around 19 DEDICATED SERVER

just 16A 120 V usable because US LAW can't let's you use more than 80% of POwer Port for security purpose

PS: THIS IS AS WHAT AS I KNOW :)

Please let's me know if you have other questions!

Thank you, Sir! This has been quite the heads up :)

• coreston said: just 16A 120 V usable because US LAW can't let's you use more than 80% of POwer Port for security purpose

Its the NEC section 220-2 that dictates that but depending on the number of conductors things can change quite rapidly too, down as low as 50% of circuit rating. Also receptacle's temperature rating dictates the maximum utilisation.

Thanked by 1coreston
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Location is going to be the single biggest factor when it comes to input costs for raw power. Then you have to consider the tier rating of the facility, generally higher the tier the more overhead and thus the higher the price for protected power.

• Nyr said: You should also consider power redundancy/quality.

+1 seen a provider move locations and racks were going down for drawing too much power due to bad wiring.

• doughmanes said: drawing too much power due to bad wiring.

Thats why you use branch monitoring on everything and ensure that you deliver the right rated outlet, cabling and breaker per circuit.

Thermal monitoring also helps to identify feed cables that are running abnormally hot as well as outlets.

Thanked by 1Clouvider