Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just had our first DDoS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Just had our first DDoS

Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
edited November 2011 in General

Its a sad day for us, we have just experienced our first DDoS. 1.5GBPs of UDP traffic according to our DC. Luckily the guys at Equinix got us back online within 7 minutes which i am more than pleased with.

Out of curiosity, how many attacks have you been affected by (Providers)

Comments

• 245 hits so far this month. Our autonull system takes care of 99% of it, it takes a pretty massive hit to bring us offline now.

• it's seems like Déjà vu for me..

yeah.. i found it!! :P

• Ah, sorry to hear you had DDoS, I dont know why the low-lifes cant leave without DDoSing every host/node they find.

Glad to hear that Equinix got you back on normal within minutes, thats fast :)

• jhjh Member

Good response time from Equinix!

• Sadly...That client was me.

• @kevin said: Sadly...That client was me.

HAHAHA lol! What were you hosting?

• Never had an attack that affected are servers badly. We have adequate server protection

• Was that on your main website or your production servers? That is a decent response time however.

Best,
    Kevin

• It wasnt anything kevin was hosting personally, just one of his clients i believe. Still nice to put Equinix to the test i suppose :P

• @VMPort said: Luckily the guys at Equinix got us back online within 7 minutes

7 minutes response time for a DDoS is super fast. Good to hear you got it fixed up so quickly.

• Correct.

I am not in any means trying to cause harm, and will be taking action towards the client when i have my machine back online.

• @VMPort said: Out of curiosity, how many attacks have you been affected by (Providers)

None, and we plan on keeping it that way.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Our frontpage & billing get hit a couple times a month on average, it's pretty sad.

Francisco

• Sad indeed.

With DDoS, the cost to perform the crime is low, it can be done by anyone in the world, and virtually untraceable most of the time. The justice system already can't keep up with "real world" crimes even in the most civilized western world, let along chasing up DDoS attacks in the virtual world. Most small business simply can't defend themselves.

It's just sad when I think about it :(

• @LowEndAdmin said: The justice system already can't keep up with "real world" crimes even in the most civilized western world, let along chasing up DDoS attacks in the virtual world.

Pretty damn quick to try and impose pointless regulations on us though, aren't they?

• I guess that's where the money is, which is how most political decisions are made these days, unfortunately. Yes they'll investigate on big cyber crimes -- when one of the lobbyists is losing money.

• To reenforce what @LowEndAdmin said, a friendly reminder about that former client of mine in Waco, Texas that I've been dealing for years now and Time Warner and the internet arm of the Texas Rangers won't deal with. Can't get anyone to deal with anything seems like it some times.

• AuroraZAuroraZ Barred
    edited November 2011

[humor]Okay I admit it!!! It was my one site with no traffic that brought the whole system down. [/humor]

You can send the mattress police after me anytime now!!!!

• @Francisco said: Our frontpage & billing get hit a couple times a month on average, it's pretty sad.

it's called a sale, not a ddos ;)

• We drop something like 1.2 million connections per day on average at the routers. That's spam as well as DDoS though.

Pretty sad that folks out there find it acceptable to whack away at kids.

• edited November 2011

@drmike
    Decide to not go on holiday?

• Day off from bellringing. Sitting outside the bank of america hijacking their wifi and trying to get some work done. Getting bugged by both the local clients as well as well wishers. Asking about the Packards-Lions game, client lookup at the local hospitals, pull down some musics for folks etc.

I'm not getting much done today.

• Have been affected by them as a client before - not the best of things you'd want to happen :(

• daimonbdaimonb Member
    edited November 2011

we have been hit once @vmport we terminated a client and one of his clients hit our server based on the ip listed in who.is we expected it coming due to an email we received from him demanding to reinstate his site.

• @daimonb said: an email we received from him demanding to reinstate his site.

Can't even do proper backups but can order DDoS

Thats so sad

• @daimonb said: we terminated a client and one of his clients hit our server based on the ip listed in who.is we expected it coming due to an email we received from him demanding to reinstate his site.

The user isn't based in Waco, Texas, are they?