Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HELP! Understand things about memory :D?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HELP! Understand things about memory :D?

Hi!
I have a Server and I like to use htop there write I have used 500 MB of RAM and 1,3 GB free and me also like use phpsysinfo there write 800MB used and 900MB free so not really understand what is the difference from two details????

Thanked by 1rokok

Comments

• For Debian family:

free | awk 'NR==3{print $3, $3+$4}'

For CentOS family:

free | awk 'NR==2{print $3, $2}'

The first column is used memory, the second column is total memory.

Thanked by 3rokok miklos Nixtren
  • I see its display same as htop so in phpsysinfo why show more?

• I have no idea how phpsysinfo works. Essentially the cached and shared memory should not be counted as used.

• miklosmiklos Member
    edited January 2016

ds total used free shared buff/cache available Mem: 1953 326 1110 16 516 1443 Swap: 0 0 0

In phpsysinfo write 900 MB used hm?

• VitaVita Member
    edited January 2016

My first guess is that phpsysinfo only shows "actual free" memory, while htop calculates "buffers/cache" in the free memory also, that's why it shows more memory via htop.
    Try to type "free -h" in your console and you will see the info.
    Check the picture for example (yellow is the total free memory that your system can use, but the actual free memory that is not used is marked red):
    http://i.imgur.com/P00hKlF.png

Best regards!

Thanked by 1miklos
  • elgselgs Member
    edited January 2016

OK, I guess phpsysinfo counted the buff/cache 516 as used, which is incorrect.

• ds total used free shared buff/cache available Mem: 1.9G 340M 1.1G 16M 518M 1.4G Swap: 0B 0B 0B
    so now that buff/cache is used or not lol?

• Depends on your definition of 'used' - did you read the link above?

• Depends on your definition of 'used' - did you read the link above?

• Thanks!

• @tehdan said:
    Depends on your definition of 'used' - did you read the link above?

Duplicate post man :P

• Why would Linux eat my ram? If I were Linux, I would prefer burgers more.

• TheOnlyDK said: Why would Linux eat my ram? If I were Linux, I would prefer burgers more.

Because it's too lazy to go to mcdonalds, and it can't afford high end delivery foods.

• you don't have to worry about the "missing" ram that you see. The buff/cache is counted as available in reality. So you are not losing your ram. Read the link @Hidden_Refuge provided, it's a great explanation