Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudflare and my VPS IP addresses
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudflare and my VPS IP addresses

Hi, I'm building a website with a python based small api.

I wanted to know if I buy cloudflare CDN service, will my API be using my origin server ip address for pulling data from other APIs, or it will use the ip/dns provided from cloudflare.

This is API running on my vps, not the website http domain ip. Thanks

Thanked by 2rokok spidervenom

Comments

• It will use the IP provided from cloudflare.

• Oh ok thank you !

• No. If I understand your question, your API does requests internally to other services right? Then these requests will be directly from your VPS, so, they will use your VPS ip.

• @yomero said:
    No. If I understand your question, your API does requests internally to other services right? Then these requests will be directly from your VPS, so, they will use your VPS ip.

if i am mistaken or unable to understand his question then you are right.

• It will be your vps ip.

• create A record pointed to your IP address then set CF's cloud to grey. This will pass CloudFlare CDN, and all request to this A record will go directly to your IP address.

• @minimald said: (...) This is API running on my vps, not the website http domain ip.

Seems to me your API setup, as described above, has nothing to do with the way your website is channeled via CloudFlare.

• I don't 100% understand what you're asking but all incoming requests to your server if you have the orange cloud on will show up as cloudflare IPs with HTTP headers that include the real IP under the variable CF-Connecting-IP. All out going requests from your server will show up as your server's IP. So, if your server makes requests to an external server on the internet, then it will show up as your server's IP address. If the external API you're requesting also happens to be using cloudflare, then they can get your server's IP via HTTP CF-Connecting-IP header info.