Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS with windows 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS with windows 7

BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
edited October 2012 in General

Hey

Anyone knows a provider who provides windows 7 with their VPS?

Thanks

Comments

• If I remembered correctly VMStormVPS does.

• We do Windows 7 VPS too with Xen-HVM plans.

• I believe Microsoft do not license desktop operating systems under their SPLA program, so you're unlikely to find many companies offering Windows 7.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2012

@joodle said: Hey
    Anyone knows a provider who provides windows 7 with their VPS?
    Thanks

I can't find any major difference in Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2 OS.

• Microsoft does not allow to lease Windows 7 and XP.

Yes but some of host provide this using illegal copy of xp and 7 :(

• I believe all MS desktop OS are not in the SPLA list, including but not limited to Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and etc.

Those who offer it must have some sort of weird agreement with MS, or are doing it illegally.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@DewlanceVPS said: I can't find any major difference in Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2 OS.

Yes, it is based on 7 kernel and you can easily take off the annoying parts, turning it into an workstation.
    M

• @Maounique said: Yes, it is based on 7 kernel and you can easily take off the annoying parts, turning it into an workstation.

Yep. You can also install Aero and other things to make it look more like Windows 7 if it suits your taste.

• @concerto49 said: Yep. You can also install Aero and other things to make it look more like Windows 7 if it suits your taste.

Yeah, because Aero increases my productivity so much [/sarcasm]

• At least in Europe it does not matter what MS says if you use your own license.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Well, this is about providers who "provide" windows 7 with the VPS. In my understanding this means the license is on them.
    M

• KairusKairus Member
    edited November 2012

Well, you could always install Server 2012. I use it on two computers as my workstation.

forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/37938-Obtain-a-legit-key-for-Server-2012-(Datacenter-or-Standard-x64)

Legit, and works. Just get a KVM and have them load the ISO up for you

• Yeah, I think it's best to find a KVM host or a dedicated server that allows you to install your own OS using an ISO.

• @Kairus said: Legit, and works. Just get a KVM and have them load the ISO up for you

The question is if it is legal to get a fake educational status to get a free Dreamspark key ;)

• AshAsh Member
    edited November 2012

For a bit of an 'insider' view if you like.

Windows 7 cannot be delivered under SPLA. Provders can offer a hosted desktop of sorts via Windows Server and Remote Desktop, but they should not be providing Windows 7 under a VPS.

The common suggestion is for the user to provide their own license, but in the eyes of MS this also may not be ok for shared platforms such as VPS. This is a bit of a grey area, and one I'm personally a bit out of touch with. The reason being is that in this scenario MS state the 'hardware' on which the client provided license sits, cannot be shared with other customers. There's some wording around having Windows 7 as a 'virtual guest' so I believe there is a legit way to do it this way, It's just not straightforward.

At the end of the day, it's very unlikely that MS are going to start looking at any small to medium providers on this. They are still getting a revenue from hosts or customers buying the licenses they deploy, and getting exposure with more hosts offering their OS.

If you're a provider that wants to know exactly what you can or cannot provide while remaining compliant in the eyes of MS, drop me a note and I'll gladly hook you up wth a contact.

• @djvdorp said: The question is if it is legal to get a fake educational status to get a free Dreamspark key ;)

Please, explain? When I still did IT, way before my nursing, it was called E-Academy... Oh, the fun we had with windows embedded and fundamentals for legacy PC's back then...

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

If any hosts will let me use my own Windows 7 license on a VPS, please drop me a PM as I'll most likely end up buying a VPS from you.

Cheers.

• To my experience, 1 Gb Ram is the minimum for productive use of Windows7 as remote desktop with IE9/Chrome and flash + Office + multiple applications open at the same time. 2 Gb is the ideal amount. Windows 7 will work with 512 Mb Ram, but it will swap. If the provider allows Windows 7 on 512 Mb VPS without SSD disks, expect a less than optimal performance because there will be other Windows desktops swapping on the host drive.
    Windows 8 has a new RDP protocol and performs better than Windows 7 on a VPS.

• @Ash, what you mentioned is what I understand from the SPLA as well. And yes it's quite gray and confusing when it comes to the bring-your-own-license on VPS.

• @DewlanceVPS said: Yes but some of host provide this using illegal copy of xp and 7 :(

You are incorrect there, it is possible for a host or individual to purchase individual XP/Win7 Licenses and set them up in a VM, however this is often VERY expensive as the license must be Purchased for the customer, not leased to the customer. A SPLA is far more cost effective and attractive to the host.

Of course, any host who allows you to mount your own ISO image should allow you to install Windows and bring your own license.

• @djvdorp said: The question is if it is legal to get a fake educational status to get a free Dreamspark key ;)

I have this legally :D (going to IT college)

• @joodle you are not in south-holland right? @djvdorp now goes to the same university as where I did nursing and IT (Hogeschool Rotterdam, Rotterdam university of applied sciences).

• @Raymii said: @joodle you are not in south-holland right? @djvdorp now goes to the same university as where I did nursing and IT (Hogeschool Rotterdam, Rotterdam university of applied sciences).

Nope, going to the ROC Twente (Overijssel)

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited November 2012

From Almelooooo, met 5 ooooo's :P

@Joodle what are your assignments? Still windows, server, exchange, active directory and such? Already developing freebsd device drivers?

• @Raymii said: @Joodle what are your assignments? Still windows, server, exchange, active directory and such? Already developing freebsd device drivers?

the first 2 years we learn: HTML, word and excel, hardware and software installation, and windows problem solving
    Then, when i finished those 2 years i might continue as application developer

• @raymii i was referring to @kairus link which lets you get an educational email without being a student there, an old known trick.

I have msdnaa and DreamSpark from the Rotterdam University of applied science right now, doing hbo it in 3 years.

• KairusKairus Member
    edited November 2012

@djvdorp said: The question is if it is legal to get a fake educational status to get a free Dreamspark key ;)

Haha, uber grey area. I doubt they'll ever notice, but the keys for Win Server are extremely expensive...

• I got a .edu email address and a DreamSpark subscription for just taking one class at a college (not even really a college class, and I did it online). It's not DreamSpark premium so there isn't Windows 7/Windows 8, but there is Server 2012 Datacenter which I'm using.

• @KMyers, are you sure BYOL MS OS is allowed on VPS?

• I remember someone mentioning how Dreamspark licenses can't be used on VPS because it's not educational or something.

• @djvdorp said: I have msdnaa and DreamSpark from the Rotterdam University of applied science right now, doing hbo it in 3 years.

Technische Informatica? And, what is that link?