Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Ded Hardware for shared hosting business
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best Ded Hardware for shared hosting business

alimosavialimosavi Member
edited January 2016 in General

Hi,

Can you suggest me good hardware (about power and normal price) to host around 1000-2000 site include (sample html, WordPress and other scripts that can be used in normal shared hosting business)

Which cpu range , Raid and storage type ( SSD + HDD or ... ) and Ram and ...

Thanked by 1rokok

Comments

• I'd definitely pick ssds over hdds just for the sheer volume of websites you are planning to host.. Plus raid 10.

I'd also go with a dual e5 for the performance plus if it goes wrong you've got the chance to upgrade your machines as apposed to an e3 where you have a max limit of 32gb ram.

Although, e3s are genuinely cheaper. You'd get more performance with the e5s.

Thanked by 1alimosavi
  • Xeon E5s usually are your best bet

• I would agree, that many sites would really require SSDs and RAID 10, a higher emd Xeon D might be worth considering?

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • alimosavialimosavi Member
    edited January 2016

WSCallum said: I would agree, that many sites would really require SSDs and RAID 10, a higher emd Xeon D might be worth considering?

Do SSD need for cash and database or all files ?

What about Raid1 ?

• I run that much on an OVH single CPU E5-1620v2 with 64GB of RAM.

• how much storage space do you think will actually be realistically in use by those 1000-2000 sites?
    SSD's have come very far down in cost now a days, even for good ones that are OK to use in a server environment, especially in a RAID-10 config.

My point being that you should be able to get a RAID-10 SSD setup, good processing capacity, and 64GB~ of RAM at a price point that is very feasible, especially considering there are 1000-2000 sites on that 1 machine.

• PhotonVPSPhotonVPS Member, Host Rep

All depends on your budget.

• @PhotonVPS said:
    All depends on your budget.

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

You should probably invest in one beast machine that can hold a ton of sites.

Dual E5, 64GB RAM, RAID10 SSD or RAID10 HDD. With that many sites, you should go with SSD to keep performance well and to have high reliability.

• If Iam not wrong you can work with 8GB Ram, with RAID - ssD and a basic E3 no mmater what versión. I guess you want it for samples sites at all (selling themes, cms, etc) if so, then you don't have a lot of traffic so you will be fine with basic things for less than $7' month.

Look for some @dacentec dedis.

• @alimosavi said:
    What about Raid1 ?

HDDs would probably struggle with 1000 websites, although depends exactly on what the sites are, traffic, your server configuration, optimization etc.

• Sites…