Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Codeweavers Crossover for free (Mac+Lin) Today
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Codeweavers Crossover for free (Mac+Lin) Today

RaymiiRaymii Member
edited October 2012 in General

FYI for all of you running Linux/mac, Codeweavers Crossover (paid wine) is free today, and you get a year of updates.

http://flock.codeweavers.com/

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Cool find !
    I havent played with it in many years, time to check again how well it works.
    M

Thanked by 1gsrdgrdghd
  • Nice find. Time to check it out when I get home from work today.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Awesome!

• Thanks cant resist free software!

• I thought crossover guys went to wine and were developing on wine instead of crossover now. I thought crossover was a dead project.

• ty

• @Corey Crossover is WINE, just powered up.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Thanks nice find.

• @ivraatiems what are you talking about 'powered'?

• IvraatiemsIvraatiems Member
    edited November 2012

@Corey Essentially, CrossOver includes a heavily modified version of WINE that has a lot of extra (proprietary) code for increased compatibility, a nice GUI, and support by Codeweavers, rather than just the WINE community. But in the end, it's just an enhanced version of WINE. Programs which run in WINE will run in CrossOver (possibly better), and programs which don't usually won't - but not always. A program which runs semi-ok in WINE might run perfectly in CrossOver.

In a way, it could be compared to what Red Hat is vs CentOS. Similar, but one has more (supposedly) than the other, costs money, and is professionally supported.

• @Ivraatiems said: @Corey Essentially, CrossOver includes a heavily modified version of WINE that has a lot of extra (proprietary) code for increased compatibility, a nice GUI, and support by Codeweavers, rather than just the WINE community. But in the end, it's just an enhanced version of WINE. Programs which run in WINE will run in CrossOver (possibly better), and programs which don't usually won't - but not always. A program which runs semi-ok in WINE might run perfectly in CrossOver.

In a way, it could be compared to what Red Hat is vs CentOS. Similar, but one has more (supposedly) than the other, costs money, and is professionally supported.

I wanted to thankyou for this post but I couldn't!

• NickONickO Member
    edited November 2012

Signed up for it but waiting for my new SSD to install Linux Mint first :D

Thanks for the heads up.

• @Raymii Thanks allot for the tip :)

• Hmm, lets see if Steam will work better on this.

• @MannDude said: Hmm, lets see if Steam will work better on this.

Hah, good luck :D

• @MannDude said: Hmm, lets see if Steam will work better on this.

They've combined the Crossover Games and the Crossover Office together, so most games work better.

@Spencer said: I wanted to thankyou for this post but I couldn't!

The thanks button is gone?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2012

@Raymii said: The thanks button is gone?

Yeah. Chief said it might be back in a week or so.
    www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/5659/no-thanks
    M

• @Ivraatiems said: @Corey Essentially, CrossOver includes a heavily modified version of WINE that has a lot of extra (proprietary) code for increased compatibility, a nice GUI, and support by Codeweavers, rather than just the WINE community. But in the end, it's just an enhanced version of WINE. Programs which run in WINE will run in CrossOver (possibly better), and programs which don't usually won't - but not always. A program which runs semi-ok in WINE might run perfectly in CrossOver.

I read somewhere that it isn't being actively developed anymore since 2011.

@Corey said: I read somewhere that it isn't being actively developed anymore since 2011.

Still going, thankfully. Totally worth paying for their work.

• I downloaded the Mac version and there only problem here seems to be actually finding programs which I need and can only run on Windows...

• @Chan said: I downloaded the Mac version and there only problem here seems to be actually finding programs which I need and can only run on Windows...

So you used Apple stuff for so long that you actually forgot about 95% of all the software.

@ztec said: So you used Apple stuff for so long that you actually forgot about 95% of all the software.

Really isn't that much left that won't run on Mac other than some games. I know gamers think they're the most important thing around but the rest of us couldn't care less.

• I'm now running Fallout 3 and Skyrim on my mac :D

• @jarland said: Really isn't that much left that won't run on Mac other than some games. I know gamers think they're the most important thing around but the rest of us couldn't care less.

True story.