Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommend me a sub-$200 netbook/laptop - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommend me a sub-$200 netbook/laptop

Comments

• bersybersy Member
    edited December 2015

Seems refubnished 12" Dell E6220/E6230 is close to your request.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@bersy said:
    Seems refubnished 12" Dell E6220/E6230 is close to your request.

Damn, I think you just found my next laptop.

• Dell Outlet has good deals in Jan.

For good Lenovo Outlet deals you usually need to wait for summer.

• My refurb x201 was my best buy of 2015 at $190 (indian ebay) .

Popped in my old laptop's ssd, and I have a 'proper' mobile computer that has enough grunt.

Definitely browse some refurb listings and seller reviews.

@vimalware said:
    My refurb x201 was my best buy of 2015 at $190 (indian ebay) .

Popped in my old laptop's ssd, and I have a 'proper' mobile computer that has enough grunt.

Definitely browse some refurb listings and seller reviews.

Nope.

• tsanten said: I take a look at some cheap refurbs or second hand Lenovo x220 ot T420

+1 on the Lenovo T420. Got one for just over $200 on Black Friday.

Threw in a 480G SSD, runs like a beast, was well refurbished too.

Thanked by 1netomx

@Kris said:

I'm seeing the T420 weighing over 5lbs and with a 2-3 hour battery life. I'm also not seeing any models under 14" for under $200 shipped. :(

Thanked by 1netomx
  • KrisKris Member
    edited December 2015

Looks like they're all well over $200 again.

One I got was $219 + shipping, i5 2520M*, 4GB RAM, 160G SSD included with Win10 on NewEgg.

EDIT: Must be less than 5 lbs, edited topic to reflect such. Good luck in that case :)

• KuJoe said: UPDATE: Please stop suggesting Lenovo laptops since I have not found one that fits my needs. If you know of a model with at least 4 hours of battery life, under 3lbs, under 14" screen, and under $200 then let me know but so far all recommendations do not fit this criteria.

We're not your personal shoppers.

And Lenovo X220 looks like an awesome choice.

Thanked by 1Kris
  • @Traffic said:
    And Lenovo X220 looks like an awesome choice.

Yes you are, you are replying to his thread. If you can't recommend anything that fits his criteria than simply don't reply.

• @taronyu said: Yes you are, you are replying to his thread. If you can't recommend anything that fits his criteria than simply don't reply.

I don't have to do as he wants, nor you. And even if he wants us to be that, we aren't.

And he is extremely demanding, given that people are trying their best at helping him. The only thing that's left for him to say is "Stop being wrong!".

Instead of being thankful he adds "PLEASE DO NOT REPLY IF YOU HAVEN'T READ MY REQUIREMENTS".

This is not how you treat a fellow human. If being appreciative of someone else's work being made without any compensation sounds unfair to you, you have a serious problem and I pity you.

Thanked by 1Kris
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@KuJoe said:
    I'm seeing the T420 weighing over 5lbs and with a 2-3 hour battery life. I'm also not seeing any models under 14" for under $200 shipped. :(

Sid you see my link?

• @KuJoe said:
    That looks awesome but I can't find where to buy it in the US. The only place I can find selling it is for €279.99 which is way out of my price range

I guess it's not out yet, the x205ta is still good and cheap I'd bet now

@Traffic I hope you're just trolling and not being serious. Thanks for bumping the thread either way. :)

netomx said: Sid you see my link?

Yes and I added the X205TA to my list to consider. :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • If you need exactly Chromebook, Acer C720 is one of the powerful ones. According to primatelabs, Intel i3-4005U performance is similar to i5-450M, for example.

• Go with refurbished/second hand dell e6230 or HP elitebook. Both have 12" screen, i5/i7, SSD, and HSPA modem

Thanked by 1netomx

@bersy said:
    If you need exactly Chromebook, Acer C720 is one of the powerful ones. According to primatelabs, Intel i3-4005U performance is similar to i5-450M, for example.

I really want a Chromebook but there's a lot of unknowns with it like if a USB to Ethernet adapter will work. Also the Microsoft RDP app for Android doesn't work in ChromeOS so that'll be a problem also.

Thanked by 1netomx

NanoG6 said: Go with refurbished/second hand dell e6230

I think this is what I'll be getting. The E6230 looks amazing for the price and fits all of my criteria. It wasn't on my radar before opening this thread so I'm glad I did. :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • If you do get a x205ta I recommend updating to Windows 10 (assuming you are going to use Windows) then once activated do a clean reinstall of it otherwise you get a massive recovery partition wasting space with 8.1.

• bersybersy Member
    edited December 2015

KuJoe said: I really want a Chromebook but there's a lot of unknowns with it like if a USB to Ethernet adapter will work. Also the Microsoft RDP app for Android doesn't work in ChromeOS so that'll be a problem also.

So I would rather opt for Dell then.

Just i case, as to your AFreeCloud and VestaCP http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1462497/#Comment_1462497

@bersy said:
    Just i case, as to your AFreeCloud and VestaCP http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1462497/#Comment_1462497

Thanks, I saw that this morning. :)

• Yeah mine is E6220 with USB 2.0, while E6230 has USB 3.0.
    Please note that there seems several options, like one has webcam while the other doesnt, one has fingerprint, while the other doesn't etc even if they are on the same type.
    You also have to take care the LCD back/top cover lid. They seems to dent easily like this

Thanked by 2netomx KuJoe
  • namhuynamhuy Member
    edited January 2016

please stay away from consumer grade acer & hp products. acer & hp consumer products come with high failure rate. go with dell, lenovo, asus.

Btw I would go with used high end stuff rather than new low end. Good luck with your find :)

Thanked by 1Kris
    edited January 2016

@namhuy I only ever by HP and Acer laptops anymore. I tried Dell and Sony in the past but regretted every one of them. Acer is great if I need to buy something in the store and will last until I don't need it anymore, but HP is usually where my money goes if I need a device for 3+ years. That being said, for less than $200 if it lasts 6 months I'm happy.

• Acer is absolute horse... terrible build quality, support and value for money.

HP manufacturers their non-business laptops to fail.

Lenovo is value for money, but installs SSL MITMs and vulnerable "solution centre software".

Sony laptops? Are they still a thing?

I haven't properly used a Dell anything in years.

Choose your poison ;)

Thanked by 1Kris
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

I've seen some pretty crazy deals on first generation Surface Pro systems. I still have mine and it works great. I don't know if it will come in at $200 or under, but you may be able to come close.

• 0xdragon said: HP manufacturers their non-business laptops to fail.

Yes. HP laptops are shit. Cold solder joint on both HP and a Compaq laptop that shared the same chassis at the charging point. Both are bricked in closet. No time to hack apart the docking cable to make a charger, pieces of crap.

Meanwhile these HP and Compaq USFF servers I am trying out for a bare metal concept in NJ are amazing.

My HP 2133 Mini-Note ran for quite a few years as my primary PC until I took it apart to salvage a fan for another system.

My HP Mini 210 HD that replaced it is still running fine aside from the battery not charging fully (5 years old this month) and the replacement keyboard not working but that's not HP's fault (my daughter spilled a lot of food on the original keyboard for the 1 week I gave it to her and the replacement keyboard wasn't the factory replacement like described on the website so I have a cheap knock-off that barely fits).

My HP Envy 15z still works fine and my HP EliteBook 8640p is a work computer but it's still chugging along after many brutal nights falling off crash carts.

Anyways, Happy New Years everybody! I'm done shopping for tonight so it's bed time. :D

Thanked by 1mpkossen
This discussion has been closed.