Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's a 3-character .net go for these days? Got one for sale?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's a 3-character .net go for these days? Got one for sale?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Numbers OK, prefer no hyphens.

Thanked by 1rokok

Comments

• ~$400 nowdays. After 10 years will be 5k+

Thanked by 1stallion
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@WHT said:
    ~$400 nowdays. After 10 years will be 5k+

Just curious what you base the 10 years estimate on?

• @trewq said:

Inflation

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@TheLonely said:

Trump, since he wants to shutdown the interweb. So lets sell fast 3 Letter domains to give someone a special moment, fully overpriced.

Thanked by 2GCat theroyalstudent
  • @trewq said:

Am talking from experience. Before some years you couldent not sell a 3 character .net domain more then $200. now almost every domain sells at min. $400.

Lats say you have bought .net for $200 in year 2009. you sell it for $300 in year 2013. the other sells it for $500 in year 2015. what about the next 5-6 owners?

• WHT said: ~$400 nowdays. After 10 years will be 5k+

$400? Really? I find that slightly hard to believe.

@raindog308 you once sorted me out a 3 character domain for nothing, I can return the favour now. I'll drop you a PM with the details.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Nekki said: I can return the favour now. I'll drop you a PM with the details.

I love this man.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I was watching nb0.net on eBay and saw it sold for $62.99 yesterday, so I think $400 is a bit off.

Maybe @WHT was thinking of 3-letter .net domains, while I was thinking of letters & numbers. I imagine those with hyphens would be the least desirable.

• They're ultimately worthless though - as far as "premium domains" are concerned - they are entirely a novelty for geeks, nothing more - a proper name on any other tld is better for a real business.

As such, don't expect more than a couple hundred bucks for a few decades, at which point I'd be surprised if domain names really existed at all anymore

Looking at ebay and sedo, there are at least 100 3 character .net's on the market for less than $200

• nj47 said:

They're ultimately worthless though - as far as "premium domains" are concerned - they are entirely a novelty for geeks, nothing more - a proper name on any other tld is better for a real business.

This is incorrect. The Chinese have a soft spot for short domain names. They can also be used for url shortener sites, but it's mainly the demand from China that's responsible for the recent price spikes.

• Abdussamad said: The Chinese have a soft spot for short domain names.

Well, shorter domain names are preferred by everyone, it saves time when you have to type them in. But it does take that concept pretty far when you have random letters.

• WHT said: ~$400 nowdays. After 10 years will be 5k+

• raindog308 said: I was watching nb0.net on eBay and saw it sold for $62.99 yesterday, so I think $400 is a bit off.

Maybe @WHT was thinking of 3-letter .net domains, while I was thinking of letters & numbers. I imagine those with hyphens would be the least desirable.

Yeah, he had to mean LLL.net; no way are 3 char .nets worth $400. I have to laugh at my timing, though. I had a 3 char .net for over a decade, and let it expire last year. I don't regret it, because I had no use for it any more, and if I could predict the future I'd be buying lottery tickets.

The name was a lot better than nb0.net, especially WRT to Chinese 'premium' stuff, but after it dropped I think it took a week to be re-regged (by someone in China), such was the lack of interest in such names before the bubble.

I don't personally believe there is any real increased demand from China, I think there are people from outside China who noticed an interest from China for certain types of domain and hyped up a demand, to dump and flip shitty domains to other people (outside China) hoping to cash in.

Unfortunately, a lot of people are going to lose a lot of money when the price pumping by professional domainers and domain sites finally collapses.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Somebody offered me $1k for my domain of my initials (not even .com or .net), had to pass on it because I like have a domain that's only 5 letters long.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • emgemg Veteran

I registered my surname .com in the mid 1990s. At my advice, my brother grabbed .org just after that, and (later) .us. The surname is not as common as "Smith" or "Jones", but it is not uncommon.

I get offers for the domain from time to time, as well as people (obviously with the same surname) begging me for personalized email addresses. The answer is always no. Someday one of my children will take it over. I hope that they appreciate my foresight and luck.