Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project Idea - Monitoring Service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Project Idea - Monitoring Service

NickONickO Member
edited November 2012 in General

Hey Guys,

I've got a bit of an idea, sure it's nothing new but I think it's a great idea personally and would help many.

Basically my idea is to get a bunch of LEB's (or even just some ordinary VPS) from somewhere, setup a few scripts and then have a Web interface/GUI.

The idea is that your server/service would be monitored from several different locations and if it goes down you'll get an email and SMS. Of course because this is LEB/LET there would be free offers and I would imagine a few very cheap offers as well.

Eventually the Web interface will be built up so you can all have pretty graphs showing off your network, etc.. ;)

What do you think? How many different locations?

Thanks!

Comments

• I certainly think it's a great idea and I'd happily let these scripts run on a couple of my yearly LEBs

• Yeah I'm willing to run some monitor scripts on my nodes as well.

• I'll probably just fork out and buy a bunch of LEBs for it myself..

I think I'll just use that PHP LookingGlass script @telephone released with my own modifications to make it a monitoring script with notifications.

• telephonetelephone Member
    edited November 2012

@NickO said: I think I'll just use that PHP LookingGlass script @telephone released with my own modifications to make it a monitoring script with notifications.

That would be horribly inefficient... For a quick uptime check, I'd look into Pung.
    I've made a simple uptime script with Pung, and it could easily check thousands of hosts no problem.

EDIT: With Pung, you'd have to fork (send to background) each uptime check/request to make it efficient.

• @telephone - hadn't looked at your code but the generally idea would be to provide more than just up/down time

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Too many Nicks! D:

Anyway, Nodeping kind of does this already, unless I'm mistaken?

• serverbearserverbear Member
    edited November 2012

We're about to roll this out to hosts for free :)

5 server locations, 30 sec ping time. Showing outages by location.

• @serverbear said: We're about to roll this out to hosts for free :)

Ohh nice. Is that with SMS notifications as well?

• No since we don't have user accounts. But we will have a live dashboard of current outages, there's always the ability to turn it into a paying product but its quite a saturated market.

• I use boxcar for all my notifications as SMS is costly to my country :)

• @seikan said: I use boxcar for all my notifications as SMS is costly to my country :)

What country are you in?

• serverping is nice.

• @serverbear said: We're about to roll this out to hosts for free :)

Can't wait! :) Will a host be able to send you a list of IPs of all their nodes, or will you only be pinging one server for each host's location?

@jshinkle said: serverping is nice.

+1

• @George_Fusioned said: Can't wait! :) Will a host be able to send you a list of IPs of all their nodes, or will you only be pinging one server for each host's location?

Yep, we're monitoring as many nodes as we can. More per location is good. Right now we look at location-wide downtime not individual node downtime (but we have the data).

• I will lend a server to the fight. Send me some info, serverbear.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

I have a similar software, no web interface but who can provide this at free of cost? (how someone can afford money for monster email server?)

• The datacenter we use already has this function.
    Beside that, we can offer a leb for this project just to contribute to the community.

• I'll warn you now that it will get very expensive - SMS especially. Depending on the quality of the Internet/person's host/script's configuration (user's configuration of the script's options), you could have people getting emails every few minutes. Multiply that by a few hudred users and I'm sure you can see the problem. Add on the load and cost from SMS, and I don't need to go into more detail. I guess you can put a limit on SMS, maybe get users to pay for that specific feature.

I'm just giving you a heads up because the site that I was using shut its doors down after about a year. It started with free SMS, then x amount of SMS, then paid SMS only, then no SMS, and then it was gone.

• Hosted nagios/cacti with nice gui can be a good idea for a lot of providers.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Talk to @jshinkle He could help out

• NickONickO Member
    edited November 2012

If any providers are willing to "donate" any LEBs to this project or anyone willing to help out you can send me a PM and I'll give you either more information or a heads up once development has started (probably this weekend).

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited November 2012

In regards to SMS, most cell phone carriers I've seen have e-mail -> SMS gateways. For example with Verizon, you can send a text to a phone through <phone_number>@vtext.com. How they feel about large amounts of e-mail -> text through the gateways is another question.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Sure, I can throw in 1-2-3 boxes your way for this project.

• @Alex_LiquidHost - I'll message you in a bit.

and I already have the whole SMS system sussed out.