Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interesting factoid about SoYouStart
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Interesting factoid about SoYouStart

Two weeks back, I ordered one of the Opteron servers from SoYouStart. They currently show a 10-day turnaround for the order but, I went ahead and ordered. On day 11, I put in a ticket and was simply told that there was a slight delay. However, today (day 14) I called and spoke to another "customer advocate", who was very polite and honest BTW, and he told me something I didn't know about their process.

Apparently, despite having limited stock on these servers, they don't simply take them out of the ordering queue. Instead, they are still taking orders on them and, when one frees up, they process the order for the next person in queue. In other words, it could theoretically take weeks or months, depending on the popularity of a particularly model, for an order to be fulfilled.

I've submitted a request to cancel this order and to refund/credit my payment.

This might already be a known thing or a common practice but, if you are looking at one of the servers showing as a "10-day" turnaround time, it might stretch well beyond this time frame.

Comments

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

They're doing the opposite of what many LET buyers are doing.

SoYouStart:

"10 days lead time"

40 days later

"Oh well it turns out we like your money, but your order is taking a bit too long"

"50% of refund or ban! Wanna play?"

LET buyer:

"Oh $10/y VPS!"

"WHAT? 24 hour and NO VPS 4 ME?"

"LET'S REGISTER ON FORUMS AND CALL THIS HOST OUT! SCAM! PAYPAL CHARGEBACK BITCHES!"

Oh well, I like my ovh vps. I will buy more servers from in the future. It's well known the servers are great, the people not all the time.

Thanked by 3asf desperand vimalware
  • jaypeesmith said: They currently show a 10-day turnaround for the order but, I went ahead and ordered.

The instant / 72 hour ones deploy within a "reasonable" amount of time right?

• FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited December 2015

That was already funny in 2013 when they decided to hammer out the KS1 @ 3€, they needed ~4 months to deliver all and had sells stopped (not only for the KS1, for everything they offer) for like 3 months.

• jaypeesmithjaypeesmith Member
    edited December 2015

@doughmanes said:
    The instant / 72 hour ones deploy within a "reasonable" amount of time right?

I can't speak for the 72-hour ones but, I've ordered the 120-second ones on previous occasions without any problem or delay.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • I really really appreciate the heads up. The clicking on those 10 day orders have been tempting and this voice screams in my ear not to do it. Now I've got better confirmation than a feeling.

OVH 10 day orders deploy on time right?

• @doughmanes said:

OVH 10 day orders deploy on time right?

I am guessing yes. The person on the phone told me that, with OVH, they are actually building the server. With SoYouStart, it's actually old stock that they keep in rotation. Therefore, I would suspect that they can more easily honor a 10-day timeline on their premium service.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I actually like this system, if everyone knows how it works.

Would have saved me some sleep back in the day when you had to set your alarm at 2am to get one of @Francisco 's BuyVM VPSes :)

• raindog308 said: I actually like this system, if everyone knows how it works.

That's part of the problem -- if they just up and said "out of stock but you can pre-pay and queue up for it" that would be a little more honest.

What serious company needs 10 days to deploy a server, though? It's not that hard to: Block orders when at capacity, have spare capacity that can be powered on, or have parts in stock for adding capacity when needed.

• RolterRolter Member
    edited January 2016

@singsing said:
    What serious company needs 10 days to deploy a server, though? It's not that hard to: Block orders when at capacity, have spare capacity that can be powered on, or have parts in stock for adding capacity when needed.

Online.net already does it for Non-French customers ... , so i guess OVH/SYS could do it as well , nothing huge from a programming point of view..

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran