Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low End VPN?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low End VPN?

PetaByetPetaByet Member
edited December 2015 in General

http://lowendbox.com/blog/lowendvpn/

I smell abuse, and endless MaxMind issues for providers :p

Thanked by 3doghouch netomx rokok

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Sometimes you gotta shake things up! :D I'm excited to see how it goes.

• @jarland said:
    Sometimes you gotta shake things up! :D I'm excited to see how it goes.

Not really welcoming that, with the VPN.sh failure :)

There could be better ones though.

Thanked by 1Riz
  • @jarland Are beta tests allowed here for VPNs? Cooking up something with my friend right now heh

@theroyalstudent said:
    Are beta tests allowed here for VPNs? Cooking up something with my friend right now heh

Hit me up when you get something going and we'll talk :)

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

I see it's pretty entertaining that there's a base64 encoded image of oneprovider reselling colocrossing in buffalo lol. I hope not too many people fall for it.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

VPN offers should be capped at much cheaper than VPS offers, else this just doesn't make sense.

Thanked by 3ValdikSS 4n0nx Dylan
  • Interesting idea.

Regarding capping at much cheaper, I've heard of quality being low with "cheap"

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent

@rm_ said:
    VPN offers should be capped at much cheaper than VPS offers, else this just doesn't make sense.

I think I agree and I think that'll be a not too distant adjustment.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited December 2015

@PetaByet said:
    http://lowendbox.com/blog/lowendvpn/

I smell abuse, and endless MaxMind issues for providers :p

I've tried offering VPN services before... (believe me, smashing your queries for MaxMind with 80% of them fraudulent isn't best thing to have to face)

it's even worse when you're getting abuse reports every minute about idiots who torrent illegal movies without following the TOS

• rm_ said: VPN offers should be capped at much cheaper than VPS offers, else this just doesn't make sense.

OK, I don't operate either commercially, but surely the constant daily work to maintain, move, and support VPN services would make it much more expensive. You will need good throughput for everyone on 50 (or more) servers constantly being pressured by various groups. Tell me that's easier than maintaining a customer base with static VPSs. That said, I was able to get good service with a reasonable number of countries and maybe 100 servers available, for $45 per year.

• @doghouch said:
    it's even worse when you're getting abuse reports every minute about idiots who torrent illegal movies without following the TOS

Block everything other than ports for DNS, Mail, HTTP, HTTPS, SSH and FTP?

Also, block outgoing connection to torrent trackers?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @theroyalstudent
    Whether you like it or not, most people use commercial VPN for downloading music and movies - that's the business. I think there are very few people like me who do it to obfuscate tracking and Google results. The rest will set up their own as a matter of internal IT.

• theroyalstudent said: Block everything other than ports for DNS, Mail, HTTP, HTTPS, SSH and FTP?

Seed/listen on those ports?

• $7 for VPN is very expensive. Even PIA is 3.33/mo *yearly - many POPs.

$7 just can't compete with others giants well established VPN provider. Just going to pity the new VPN 'startup' who will enter LETVPN market.

Thanked by 1Nic_20TBSSD
  • rokok said: Even PIA is 3.33/mo *yearly

And $48/per year is $4 per month. Not exactly a huge diff. But yeah, I agree that "low end" should probably be lower than the big guys like PIA.

Honestly, I'm thinking that VPN is something that requires real scale in order to offer lower prices. Big guys will be cheap, and little guys will be expensive - no way around it. There's no way I'd go with a service that runs on a measly 40 servers in half a dozen countries unless they were a buck a month or something. But can that be done?

• If its not about the price tag, its just a quick way to join deadpool.

• rokok said: f its not about the price tag, its just a quick way to join deadpool.

Then the way to make money is to get into the popcorn business.

Of course one could get into both - and break even. ha!

• Who's so clever to make a rule of $7/m. It's too high in my opinion.

• namhuynamhuy Member
    edited December 2015

raised from $7 to $10, shared/reselling hosting, now entering VPN ? Will history repeats itself?

• @Anna_Parker said:
    Who's so clever to make a rule of $7/m. It's too high in my opinion.

He used the default pricing until the community can give better ideas on pricing.

• Anna_Parker said: Who's so clever to make a rule of $7/m. It's too high in my opinion.

Well we'll see. You don't get much for that in the commercial world. Besides, yearly price point for LET is $48. I'll be watching this thread to see what Low End offer we get with 200 servers and 50 countries. I'm not holding my breath though. VPN is not like VPS. A low end VPS is very useful, a low end VPN is useless.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Tacohost will offer VPNs :P

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited December 2015

@netomx said:
    Tacohost will offer VPNs :P

TacoVPN.com is taken but VPNTaco.com isn't!

EDIT:

No match for "TACOSHIELD.COM".
    Thanked by 1netomx
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited December 2015

@theroyalstudent said:
    Also, block outgoing connection to torrent trackers?

Don't worry, people who used the service fraudulently just ruined it for others. I ended up proposing to discontinue the service as it was taking a large portion of our abuse department.

@Traffic said:

No match for "TACOSHIELD.COM".

I do really have a name: RouterVPN.us :P

But I haven't finished it yet

Thanked by 2Traffic doghouch
  • dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited December 2015

@netomx @traffic

tacotaco.com is available just to let you know.

edit: oh it is not!!!

try this one TacosVpn.com

Thanked by 2Traffic netomx

@dedicados said:
    netomx traffic

tacotaco.com is available just to let you know.

edit: oh it is not!!!

try this one TacosVpn.com

TacoShield sounded way cooler :P

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • netomx said: TacoShield sounded way cooler :P

TacoGhost? :D

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I used to get the cheap cyberghost promos for years, then I took an arrow in the knee they somehow broke OpenVPN and haven't fixed it since. :(

• 10GBPS UNCONTENDED UNMETERED anyone?