Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Community Radio ? :P
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Community Radio ? :P

SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
edited November 2011 in General

Hey,
I've been really thinking about this, Community Online Radio ? Well, I don't mean a radio playing metal etc, Some music selected by the community for the community ?

Does this idea sound good ?

Thanks,
SpeedBus !

Comments

• Would be awesome, and i got some experience with Shoutcast servers :D
    So if u want me to help, pm me

• Extreme hardcore uber trashed metal plz.

No, the real thing is that I am more Chill/Lounge/ambient n_n lol

I am ok with the idea, but what about the copyright stuff and so? I always wanted a radio but, that's the problem. If someone can give info about this...

• Just host it in China. Nobody will care about copyright there.

Thanked by 1edgarhoover
  • Hmm, willing to help out with this project as well. Got some great songs here, though I don't know how well you guys'll take to it.

• TigersWayTigersWay Member
    edited November 2011

@japon said: Just host it in China. Nobody will care about copyright there.

Could try Thailand for that too :-) But no bandwidth here!

• @TigersWay said: Could try Thailand for that too :-)

Now I know why so many colleagues travel to Thailand.

• Don't forget to put some 80's trash metal music for me. :D

Metallica, Sepultura, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Pantera, etc. that would be awesome. :P

YEAH!!! \m/

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2011

We could give it a try and keep it low ? There are tons of radio stations out there, playing only one genere each, like only POP or Rock.. and music which not every one likes.. I want to make something that the community likes and not play music that no one likes.

We can make a tiny team of like 3 - 4 guys who take turns and dish out music ?

edited November 2011

Okay, Lets start off by putting forward what we need, A VPS with 50 GB Bandwidth

• I'll be able to donate a VPS for this cause, though it's in Dallas.

edited November 2011

Okay, Now we have the VPS,

Who wants to volunteer and run this with me ?

• Speedbus send me a PM

• I don't know if it would get LEA's seal of approval with the copyright issues... but I'd definitely listen, would be up for playing some tunes too.

• What about music licensed under the Creative Commons license? It's not like Metallica or Aerosmith but at least the RIAA will not knock at your door xD.

• You better be playing Dubstep.

• @JosephRedfern said: I don't know if it would get LEA's seal of approval with the copyright issues... but I'd definitely listen, would be up for playing some tunes too.

He can put in the forum something like "LET doesn't hold any liability for posts made and every member holds liability for what he posts".

• You need AutoDJ for when there's no DJ casting, or a VPS with sc_trans2. Or get a Windows VPS, install SAM Broadcaster and rock 'n roll ;)

• @Go59954 said: He can put in the forum something like "LET doesn't hold any liability for posts made and every member holds liability for what he posts".

Yeah, is like if I say that I will rob a bank for the community, so, I need LEA's approval...

• @yomero said: is like if I say that I will rob a bank for the community

No, that is called Robin Hood! ;)

• ksx4systemksx4system Member
    edited November 2011

put some 8-bit chiptunes and some indie music (from Jamendo and sites like that) for me. at least there's no copyright mess here :)

@SpeedBus said: Okay, Now we have the VPS,

Who wants to volunteer and run this with me ?

as long as we'll be broadcasting legal content I can help :)

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Reggae? Grime? Jk.

Okay, seriously why not Pop, Hip-Hop?

• 24x7 Nyan Cat Theme-tune? http://www.nicomimi.net/play/sm13455867

Thanked by 1yomero
  • You got the point.

• All Weird Al All The Time :)

• HAH. Been years since I listened to his stuff. I must say 'All About the Pentiums' holds a special place in my heart, though.

Community radio is difficult to pull off. You're trying to cater to too many tastes; it may be an easier task to simply run a handful of individual *cast stations, each devoted to a broad genre (Rock, R&B, etc).

• I have a server loaded with media and bandwidth, how hard is it getting shoutcast set up?

• shoutcast sucks, icecast uber alles

• /person who will be managing the VPS, do PM me and I'll provide the Solus access ;3 . @Infinity, @SpeedBus . I do hope the issue on copyrighted content won't come around so much though ;)

• @maxexcloo said: how hard is it getting shoutcast set up

The actual daemon is simple. The only tricky part is actually playing the music; traditionally, it's setup so that a windows user w/ WinAmp can connect, upstream music to the station, and then the station streams out. Live DJs, etc.

You can do automatic playlists, but it just takes a little configuring. There's a few custom scripts out there designed to do just that.

• @Boltersdriveer said: /person who will be managing the VPS, do PM me and I'll provide the Solus access ;3 . @Infinity, @SpeedBus . I do hope the issue on copyrighted content won't come around so much though ;)

If the station doesn't become extremely popular... I think there is no problem :P